Importing vintage car

I have searched the forums on this topic but can only find an old thread suggesting it's a nightmare don't do it.

Does anyone have any recent experience importing a vintage car here, would love to hear from people who've done it, if any

20200226_172949.jpg

Edited by caribbean82

I think the consensus is it's not worth the hassle. 

Sell the vehicle and buy one here. 

The costs alone is the main thing. 

Out of interest what is it because it may be available to buy in Thailand. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

74 ke20 corolla. Only value is really sentimental I thought import fees based on value of vehicle might have made it worth importing. 

• Like 1

My friend imported a 1936 Chevrolet from the US when he moved here I don't know what he went through to get it on the road but it was a lot of money in taxes and such and he very nearly returned it and his family to the US as he was getting nowhere.

I seem to remember he was up against a deadline to get it certified and was told after that date (whatever it was) imports of vintage cars will not be allowed and that his was the last vintage car that will ever be allowed in the country.

The topic I started about it is shown below:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

My friend imported a 1936 Chevrolet from the US when he moved here I don't know what he went through to get it on the road but it was a lot of money in taxes and such and he very nearly returned it and his family to the US as he was getting nowhere.

I seem to remember he was up against a deadline to get it certified and was told after that date (whatever it was) imports of vintage cars will not be allowed and that his was the last vintage car that will ever be allowed in the country.

The topic I started about it is shown below:

Thanks rimmer I'm wondering if a USA left hand drive made it difficult to import? But anyway it looks the my old corolla will stay in Australia, 

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't think I could find one here. More interested in the import rules, how taxes and duties are calculated 

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There are more recent threads, including one from someone who (allegedly) actually did it. Sadly in that case he was extremely reticent to indicate any real detail as to how he managed and how much he handed over in the brown envelope suitcase.

General advice is still to forget it, unless you have $$$ burning a hole and really like stress and hassle.

Thanks crossy, what a shame I think Thais like like Brits Aussies and Americans have a real passion for vintage cars, sad it's sad we can't bring them in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caribbean82 said:

I don't think I could find one here. More interested in the import rules, how taxes and duties are calculated 

It's a Toyota you can get a what would called a  classic pickup truck here no problem. ????

Short answer: don't bother. I looked at bringing my old 911 here. Would have been a Bahtfest.

FWIW: There's a nicely restored very similar Corolla running about in Phuket. They were sold here.
One upside to the import restrictions is that there are a limited number of classics available, so unlikely to lose money through depreciation. Even a humble Corolla. As well as the usual Euro/US suspects, there are a few old Oz cars floating around from the 60's/70's. Saw an HR in Kampaeng Phet recently.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobfish said:

Short answer: don't bother. I looked at bringing my old 911 here. Would have been a Bahtfest.

FWIW: There's a nicely restored very similar Corolla running about in Phuket. They were sold here.
One upside to the import restrictions is that there are a limited number of classics available, so unlikely to lose money through depreciation. Even a humble Corolla. As well as the usual Euro/US suspects, there are a few old Oz cars floating around from the 60's/70's. Saw an HR in Kampaeng Phet recently.

Yes I've seen Holden hq coupe here in samut sakhon abandoned!.  From my understanding a porche 911 would incur much higher import duties and taxes based on it's value compared to a humble Toyota corolla which only has sentimental value. I'm thinking the cheaper the car the less the import duties. 

9 minutes ago, caribbean82 said:

74 Toyota pick up rare like a kwasaki

For sure I'm a classic and Love classic motorbikes like my 1993 CBR900RR which I found in Thailand. 

The one I had in England would of cost 3 times what it was worth to bring Thailand,  Thailand have no interest in classic unless it's here already and it suits them. 

After much research it only left me with the option of selling and I got a classic price in UK. 

The price in Thailand of cars/bikes that are old is a whole new concept comparisen compared to say UK. 

29 minutes ago, bobfish said:

I guess for me I just want my car it's sad I can't bring it here.

I have seen ke20 corollas here but only  four door no coupes or ke25

1 hour ago, caribbean82 said:

You're probably right. A JDM Levin would be nice though!.

Edit: I've just had a re-look at your original post. That is one sweet little car. Looks like an AMI badge so built in Oz I guess. My Dad had a similar age Crown which was a real step up from his EH!

Edited by bobfish

1 hour ago, caribbean82 said:

Yes I've seen Holden hq coupe here in samut sakhon abandoned!.  From my understanding a porche 911 would incur much higher import duties and taxes based on it's value compared to a humble Toyota corolla which only has sentimental value. I'm thinking the cheaper the car the less the import duties. 

Yes. I was quoted CIF duties including valuation based on the engine capacity and 300% of the original [new] sales price [with a small depreciation allowance]. Just a no brainer. 
Grab that HQ!!!

Edited by bobfish

7 hours ago, caribbean82 said:

There are coupes out there.  I’ve seen them around.  Here are a few ‘67 ke10s

https://rod.kaidee.com/product-360898325

https://rod.kaidee.com/product-360921348

https://rod.kaidee.com/product-360913988

I’d be willing to bet that if you searched Facebook, there will be a classic Corolla club here in Thailand that has a Facebook page too and you can let them know what you’re looking for.

Found it...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1497041470599684

7 hours ago, bobfish said:

You're probably right. A JDM Levin would be nice though!.

Edit: I've just had a re-look at your original post. That is one sweet little car. Looks like an AMI badge so built in Oz I guess. My Dad had a similar age Crown which was a real step up from his EH!

Yep Ami badges Ami also built triumph here in oz, I recently sold my 74 ms65 crown and an mx22 corona but the corolla I can't let go 

28 minutes ago, Airalee said:

There are coupes out there.  I’ve seen them around.  Here are a few ‘67 ke10s

https://rod.kaidee.com/product-360898325

https://rod.kaidee.com/product-360921348

https://rod.kaidee.com/product-360913988

I’d be willing to bet that if you searched Facebook, there will be a classic Corolla club here in Thailand that has a Facebook page too and you can let them know what you’re looking for.

Found it...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1497041470599684

Thanks for that, I would just love to be able to bring mine here but looks like it won't happen 

• Thanks 1