Koh Samui real estate - future trends

HI,

Have been looking into a number of villas - 3/4 beds - on Koh Samui and wondered what everyone thought of future potential as an investment? Prices on some are hit 20-30+% so was thinking now could be a good time as an air bnb rental for the yield once covid recovers, a retreat for me when not rented out and then future profit on resale in say 5 years or so?

What have been past sales growth in prices? I am guessing, with increased demand in the future, limited space to build etc, can see prices only increasing.

I don't see Airbnb's on Samui booked very often outside of the high season, even pre-pandemic.  There was always tons of vacancies and availability.

However, it's all about location if you do want something rented out as frequently as possible.  It needs to be near the beach or have a great view to be desirable.  There is a ton of property up in the hills for sale with inconvenient, poorly lit, or difficult to access dirt roads that don't work for 2-3 day Airbnb visitors.

I would not invest in Real Estate in Thailand expecting to make a profit, if you want to subsidize part of what you paid with rental income, you should absolutely invest in the best possible location you can afford.  Don't think of property in Thailand in the same way you do in your home country, they are absolutely not the same in terms of valuation or investment opportunity.

Side note, Samui is a wonderful place and you'll love it there ????  Best of luck!

• Like 1