Varifocal glasses

toast1

I've been using the brand Crizal for over 15 years. No complains about it so far. I guess this is not to top most expensive brand, but it is not cheap - this brand also have different categories at different prices.

On cheap lenses, I've noticed discolouration, scratches and fragility.

• Thanks 1

I just replaced my varifocals last weekend.  Superb vision, especially reading my PC monitor.   I discovered that my previous lenses had the wrong prescription for the mid range vision.  I had been wondering why i had to squint so much.

They are Hoya lenses (I don't know what specific type) and the slightly thicker and cheaper lenses (1.5? 1.6?).  The shop is owned by the family an old student of mine from 10 years ago so the lenses were only 6,500 baht to me.  I was going to have them put in my old frames but he offered me a very nice light titanium frame with very bendy side pieces for 2,000 baht instead of 2,800 so the lot came to 8,500 baht.

If you want to check it out the shop is right next to the Silom Centre under Sala Daeng BTS station.   I am not sure if I can mention the name in English but in Thai it's ธนาคารแว่น (ta-na-karn-wan).  

Best money I have spent in many a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

I just replaced my varifocals last weekend.  Superb vision, especially reading my PC monitor.   I discovered that my previous lenses had the wrong prescription for the mid range vision.  I had been wondering why i had to squint so much.

They are Hoya lenses (I don't know what specific type) and the slightly thicker and cheaper lenses (1.5? 1.6?).  The shop is owned by the family an old student of mine from 10 years ago so the lenses were only 6,500 baht to me.  I was going to have them put in my old frames but he offered me a very nice light titanium frame with very bendy side pieces for 2,000 baht instead of 2,800 so the lot came to 8,500 baht.

If you want to check it out the shop is right next to the Silom Centre under Sala Daeng BTS station.   I am not sure if I can mention the name in English but in Thai it's ธนาคารแว่น (ta-na-karn-wan).  

Best money I have spent in many a year.

8,500 baht is a super price for varifocals with a Titanium frame - WOW!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I have been happy with my glasses from Zennioptical.com.  They have progressive lenses in three different ranges:

https://www.zennioptical.com/workspace-progressives

I got the medium range and the far range.  Satisfied with both.  Cost USD 96 and USD 129.  Delivery took about a month.

I'm waiting for two pairs to come from HK. I hope they're OK. 

Much cheaper than the ones I got from a local shop, 18,000 baht.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm waiting for two pairs to come from HK. I hope they're OK. 

Much cheaper than the ones I got from a local shop, 18,000 baht.

I wore varifocals for decades and as far as glasses go, best thing since sliced bread.

About 2 years ago when I needed a new pair decided to have laser surgery instead, 18k baht each eye. Won't need another pair and only problem is reading labels in the supermarket.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I have been happy with my glasses from Zennioptical.com.  They have progressive lenses in three different ranges:

https://www.zennioptical.com/workspace-progressives

I got the medium range and the far range.  Satisfied with both.  Cost USD 96 and USD 129.  Delivery took about a month.

I have also been using Zenni for the last 4 years and more than satisfied.  One pair I ordered came with the wrong prescription and they refunded immediately...didn't even require me to return them. 

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I have also been using Zenni for the last 4 years and more than satisfied.  One pair I ordered came with the wrong prescription and they refunded immediately...didn't even require me to return them. 

Have you used them recently? I tried a few months back, theyt would not ship to Thailand except by courier

On 3/25/2021 at 2:01 PM, CMoldie said:

Has the OP used Varifocal lenses before? If so, you will know that you  need to learn how to use them - you focus your eyes and move your head in a different way to using normal glasses or none at all.

Drove me mad....could not stand them......stuck it out for a week then went back and got reading glasses and distance glasses........and relax.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Drove me mad....could not stand them......stuck it out for a week then went back and got reading glasses and distance glasses........and relax.

Yes, it does take awhile to get used to.

After that, no going back! It is a convenient alternative. Costly, yes.

• Like 2

I needed varifocal lenses, I also have an astigmatism in one eye so prescription lenses were expensive and also my eyes needed to be checked frequently, recently I had eye surgery and new lenses fitted, my sight in both eyes is now great & for the first time in 30 odd years I can wear normal sunglasses, I bought a cheap pair of glasses for reading - 120 baht, so happy these days, I can sit on the other side of the lounge watch TV and read the credits ???? ???? ????

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 8:34 AM, sandyf said:

I wore varifocals for decades and as far as glasses go, best thing since sliced bread.

About 2 years ago when I needed a new pair decided to have laser surgery instead, 18k baht each eye. Won't need another pair and only problem is reading labels in the supermarket.

Where did you go for the surgery?

On 3/27/2021 at 12:01 PM, Surelynot said:

I was the same when I had contact lenses 30 years ago.  Annoying AF.  I managed 2 months.

Then I had a week off to redecorate our 3 storey staircase so didn't use them due to the sanding dust.  When I put them back in the following week, I took them straight out again and hat was that.

The other thing I found odd about using them is that I'd been wearing specs since I was 9 and it was just plain weird not having something on my nose.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, Sheryl said:

Have you used them recently? I tried a few months back, theyt would not ship to Thailand except by courier

I ordered 3 pair from a prescription on file (1 progressive, 1  reading, 1 optimized for 6-10 feet) on December 13, 2020.  They were shipped on Dec. 22 and I received them in Bangkok on Dec. 29.   Never a mention of courier only.  I paid the usual $10.99 (I think) shipping fee.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Where do you guys go to get a fresh prescription and all the measurements to order online?

I went to Rutnin Eye Hospital on Asok and had a comprenhensive eye exam by an ophthalmologist. This was 2 years ago and it cost B1300.  Appointment suggested.

Prescriptions are not routinely provided unless you ask for one so be sure to let them know that is what you want. 

If there is a possibility you will end up with progressive lenses, be sure to ask the Dr. to include your "PD" (pupillary distance), essential for progressives.

Most larger hospitals will have an ophthalmology department where you can get this done if Rutnin isn't convenient. 

BTW, The Zenni website (www.zennioptical.com) has a pretty complete guide on how to take the measurements you'll need.  Easier if you have somebody helping.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, Sheryl said:

Hey Sheryl, where would you suggest getting a good full prescription to such that I can buy glasses with progressive lenses online? 

2 minutes ago, dddave said:

I went to Rutnin Eye Hospital on Asok and had a comprenhensive eye exam by an ophthalmologist. This was 2 years ago and it cost B1300.  Appointment suggested.  Prescriptions are not routinely provided unless you ask for one so be sure to let them know that is what you want.  If there is a possibility you will end up with progressive lenses, be sure to ask the Dr. to include your "PD" (pupilary distance), essential for progressives.

Most larger hospitals will have an ophthalmology department where you can get this done if Rutnin isn't convenient. 

Thanks, did not see this before I asked, thanks! 

7 minutes ago, dddave said:

I went to Rutnin Eye Hospital on Asok and had a comprenhensive eye exam by an ophthalmologist. This was 2 years ago and it cost B1300.  Appointment suggested.

Prescriptions are not routinely provided unless you ask for one so be sure to let them know that is what you want. 

If there is a possibility you will end up with progressive lenses, be sure to ask the Dr. to include your "PD" (pupillary distance), essential for progressives.

BTW, The Zenni website (www.zennioptical.com) has a pretty complete guide on how to take the measurements you'll need.  Easier if you have somebody helping.

Yeah, I started pricing up a pair of glasses and was a little intimidated by all the data fields...

39 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, I started pricing up a pair of glasses and was a little intimidated by all the data fields...

Once you figure it out, it's not that bad.  My progressives are very strong so there were many frames I couldn't use. 

At purchase, they do push a lot of expensive extras...coatings and ultra hi-tech polycarbonate lenses but I did a bunch of Googling and decided most of it was fluff. I got standard everything and the glasses I got have been more than satisfactory.