Pattaya: One million doses of vaccine targeted ahead of October reopening

webfact

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Commonly referred to as a visa.  

Incorrectly.

One is issued by MoFA, another by immigration police. 

You should quit while you are behind.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

What country would that be.... I certainly did not mention one. 

Nothing wrong with optimism, you should give it  try.

You mentioned Singapore.  

I can't see Singapore allowing freedom of movement through its borders for unvaccinated traveller from wherever.  

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Incorrectly.

One is issued by MoFA, another by immigration police. 

You should quit while you are behind.

Nice play on words, but I would not be surprised if being vaccinated is a requirement of a visa, extension, extension of the extension, extension of the extension's extension, the permit of extension, a work permit, or whatever else you would like to call it.

• Haha 2

On 3/28/2021 at 5:30 AM, jacko45k said:

Incorrect.

Visas cannot be extended..... simply a new one obtained. You need to learn your subject. 

I suggest you tell Thailand immigration that they are WRONG.

image.png.4131232aac44a324fc9cf55e299f94e7.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

You mentioned Singapore.  

I can't see Singapore allowing freedom of movement through its borders for unvaccinated traveller from wherever.  

Perhaps the Maldives then. Singapore is an advanced place and did well controlling Covid, no appreciable second wave and still only 30 total deaths. It is also quite tourist dependent.  It's proximity to Thailand made it a useful example. If Thailand does not offer the jab soon, I want to look for some place I can travel to, and return, where it is available to me. 

Again Singapore will not be consulting you when they make decisions as Thailand will not, despite you telling them. 

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

Nice play on words, but I would not be surprised if being vaccinated is a requirement of a visa, extension, extension of the extension, extension of the extension's extension, the permit of extension, a work permit, or whatever else you would like to call it.

An Extension does not require leaving the country and as such I might hope does not require a vaccination certificate, similar to insurance, which is also not needed for extensions (Ignore an O-A based retirement extension for now). Insurance is currently needed for all entries at the borders even those previously on retirement or marriage extensions, who would usually use a Re-Entry Permit to return.

Again I do not believe Thailand will be consulting you on this.  

It would appear illogical for Thailand to impose vaccination requirement for foreigners when their own population remains mostly unvaccinated. 

7 hours ago, Susco said:

I suggest you tell Thailand immigration that they are WRONG.

They know the difference and it is not their language. It is of course now widespread.... but my Extension Stamp in my passport does not say 'Visa' anywhere. Nor will it get me back into Thailand alone.

Here is an anecdote: My cat's name is 'dog'.... it doesn't matter to my cat and she even responds to being called dog. She is just a dumb animal. But people who hear me calling my cat 'dog'  think me nuts......

Why is it that here in the Magic Kingdom, even the simplest thing of major importance to expats is almost always veiled in confusion, in terms of official government information? 

I have scoured google searches to get any sort of official words of WHEN expats can expect to be eligible for vaccinations, and the best I can find is an article in the Pattaya News that said:

"...it was not immediately made clear about foreign residents, although officials have previously said that those who have legal residence in the country would be included. However, what that entails has not yet been clarified...."

For weeks it has remained "unclarified".  It's like expats are just left out of the equation by government officials

You'd think that, considering that Expat contributions to the economy in absence of tourism is considerable, that their needs might be better addressed, but I guess not!

Private hospitals normally serve the needs of Expats much more efficiently than public hospitals but are running into major roadblocks in being allowed to address the vaccine situation.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha and his government have created confusion as to the role of private firms in the vaccine rollout.

In January, Prayut said that his government would permit only public hospitals to distribute imported COVID-19 vaccines. He said that private hospitals can import the drugs but wouldn’t be allowed to use them in the first phase of the inoculation drive.  WHY ???

On February 8, the government then seemed to walk back its decision and said that only the government can import vaccines in the initial phase.  WHY ???

In a separate statement, Dr. Paisarn Dunkum, secretary-general of the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said that private companies are welcome to import vaccines but they need to register beforehand.  What does that mean ???

As usual, different government departments vaguely contradicting each other does nothing but create compete confusion!.  

The lack of clarity on the issue has left many older expats wondering if the government realizes the urgency of the situation for them.  

The private hospital route sounds much more promising for expats.  According to a recent article written by WebFacty here on ThaiVisa, "...Sources in the Thai business media have suggested that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will likely soon give approval for private hospitals to offer their own Covid-19 vaccinations. ..."

All manner of vaccine will be available including Pfizer, Moderna, Sinopharm, Sputnik and Johnson and Johnson, suggested the sources.

A source at Thonburi suggested that they would buy vaccine at a cost of $17 to $40 a dose.  Having the recommended two doses would therefore cost 4,000 baht or a little under 100 UK pounds or about $US 133.  Maybe that's more expensive than "free", but I think most expats wouldn't be hard pressed to pay the price.

Of course, the question for expats still remains...WHEN?

If I am looking at this all wrong, PLEASE tell me.  Seriously, After reading many different articles over the past few weeks I really don't have a clue what's going on with regard to WHEN expats will be able to get vaccinated. 

At this point in time, that is simply unacceptable by anyone's standards!

Back in States, everybody that I personally know that wants the vaccine has either received at least their first dose, or have been able to schedule it.

I know one older expat that was so exasperated over the issue that he flew back to the States to get vaccinated last week even though he had to jump through all sorts of hoops with quarenteening both upon arrival in the States, and then again upon his return I suppose.

Why is everything so confusing and inexplicable here in the Magic Kingdom?  Seriously, WHY?

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 12:17 AM, Jingthing said:

This news is very depressing for expats here.

Also, does anyone have even a snippet of news of when the private hospitals will be getting some supplies?

I've been assuming most expats are going to be on the private hospital pay for it track. But when?!? 

I guess the party is over.

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Why is it that here in the Magic Kingdom, even the simplest thing of major importance to expats is almost always veiled in confusion, in terms of official government information? 

I have scoured google searches to get any sort of official words of WHEN expats can expect to be eligible for vaccinations, and the best I can find is an article in the Pattaya News that said:

"...it was not immediately made clear about foreign residents, although officials have previously said that those who have legal residence in the country would be included. However, what that entails has not yet been clarified...."

For weeks it has remained "unclarified".  It's like expats are just left out of the equation by government officials

You'd think that, considering that Expat contributions to the economy in absence of tourism is considerable, that their needs might be better addressed, but I guess not!

Private hospitals normally serve the needs of Expats much more efficiently than public hospitals but are running into major roadblocks in being allowed to address the vaccine situation.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha and his government have created confusion as to the role of private firms in the vaccine rollout.

In January, Prayut said that his government would permit only public hospitals to distribute imported COVID-19 vaccines. He said that private hospitals can import the drugs but wouldn’t be allowed to use them in the first phase of the inoculation drive.  WHY ???

On February 8, the government then seemed to walk back its decision and said that only the government can import vaccines in the initial phase.  WHY ???

In a separate statement, Dr. Paisarn Dunkum, secretary-general of the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said that private companies are welcome to import vaccines but they need to register beforehand.  What does that mean ???

As usual, different government departments vaguely contradicting each other does nothing but create compete confusion!.  

The lack of clarity on the issue has left many older expats wondering if the government realizes the urgency of the situation for them.  

The private hospital route sounds much more promising for expats.  According to a recent article written by WebFacty here on ThaiVisa, "...Sources in the Thai business media have suggested that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will likely soon give approval for private hospitals to offer their own Covid-19 vaccinations. ..."

All manner of vaccine will be available including Pfizer, Moderna, Sinopharm, Sputnik and Johnson and Johnson, suggested the sources.

A source at Thonburi suggested that they would buy vaccine at a cost of $17 to $40 a dose.  Having the recommended two doses would therefore cost 4,000 baht or a little under 100 UK pounds or about $US 133.  Maybe that's more expensive than "free", but I think most expats wouldn't be hard pressed to pay the price.

Of course, the question for expats still remains...WHEN?

If I am looking at this all wrong, PLEASE tell me.  Seriously, After reading many different articles over the past few weeks I really don't have a clue what's going on with regard to WHEN expats will be able to get vaccinated. 

At this point in time, that is simply unacceptable by anyone's standards!

Back in States, everybody that I personally know that wants the vaccine has either received at least their first dose, or have been able to schedule it.

I know one older expat that was so exasperated over the issue that he flew back to the States to get vaccinated last week even though he had to jump through all sorts of hoops with quarenteening both upon arrival in the States, and then again upon his return I suppose.

Why is everything so confusing and inexplicable here in the Magic Kingdom?  Seriously, WHY?

I am surprised that you are surprised. there is confusion all over the world. Who would have thought this virus would have had 3rd and 4th wave after 15 months. France just locked down entirely. Brasil is dealing with an utter chaos. Turkey had 40,000 cases yesterday and about to locked down completely. Philippines is in a locked down and enforcing a curfew between 6pm-5am after 7 months of 12pm-5am and 4 months of 8pm-5am curfew in the past and the hospitals in most of these countries mentioned above are overwhelmed. They say soon the current vaccines won't be able to protect people from the dozens of new mutations popping up in several countries. Politicians are confused about what message to give to their people without causing unrest. their advisers are confused preparing their speeches and wordings. You do have valid questions and they all make sense but I am afraid you won't get satisfactory answers anytime soon in these chaotic times and environment.

Expats IMO are way down on the bottom of the list for vaccination in ANY country, not just in Thailand, maybe below the scumbag underage sex pedophiles, murderers and double- lifers without parole

Edited by pattayadude

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps the Maldives then. Singapore is an advanced place and did well controlling Covid, no appreciable second wave and still only 30 total deaths. It is also quite tourist dependent.  It's proximity to Thailand made it a useful example. If Thailand does not offer the jab soon, I want to look for some place I can travel to, and return, where it is available to me. 

Again Singapore will not be consulting you when they make decisions as Thailand will not, despite you telling them. 

I understand your reasoning, but I think it will be difficult to go to another country, unvaccinated, without 2 weeks quarantine and a lot of paperwork.  That said, maybe some countries could start up vaccinating paying tourists as part of a medical tourism program.  

There are also time factors to consider.  One jab now, second jab one month later, two weeks after second jab before the person is considered inoculated.  Total 6 weeks.

Edited by Leaver

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

An Extension does not require leaving the country and as such I might hope does not require a vaccination certificate, similar to insurance, which is also not needed for extensions (Ignore an O-A based retirement extension for now). Insurance is currently needed for all entries at the borders even those previously on retirement or marriage extensions, who would usually use a Re-Entry Permit to return.

Again I do not believe Thailand will be consulting you on this.  

It would appear illogical for Thailand to impose vaccination requirement for foreigners when their own population remains mostly unvaccinated. 

I see your point, but if the Thai government is going to vaccinate 65% of the Thai people, why would they want foreigners to be unvaccinated and possibly infecting the other 35% of Thai's, or, having many foreigners, most of whom are older retired expats, dying in big numbers, which effects Thailand's image?

It's no cost to Thailand, in fact, the will probably profit out of making it a requirement to be vaccinated. 

With a stroke of a pen in Bangkok, they can make the requirement "no vaccination, no extension, and it's 5000 baht per shot."  If foreigners don't like it, they can leave, but they will not be allowed entry back into Thailand without showing they have been vaccinated anyway.      

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

they will not be allowed entry back into Thailand without showing they have been vaccinated anyway. 

is that a fact? IOW is any tourist who shows a proof of vaccination and a PCR negative test result is allowed to board on plane destined to LOS?

20 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

is that a fact? IOW is any tourist who shows a proof of vaccination and a PCR negative test result is allowed to board on plane destined to LOS?

No, it's not a fact.  It's my opinion for post ASQ travel / tourism to Thailand.  

I don't mind paying for the vaccine and I think most expats don't either. The issue is there is no pathway for us to get vaccinated that I know of unless we are here in a capacity that opens us to the Thai health care system which I am not. While I have come to expect incompetence and buffoonery here even with these low expectations I can't see the logic in barring private hospitals from doling out vaccines on a pay per use basis. The majority of Thai's will use their subsidized government insurance so this would not slow things down or put them at the back of the line. It would only accelerate the widespread vaccination of the entire population. While we Farang are always an afterthought the virus does not look at it that way.  I would go back to the US to get vaccinated but I don't want to do that til I can do so without having to quarantine there. Thus for now I would like a way to get the jab in Thailand.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I would go back to the US to get vaccinated but I don't want to do that til I can do so without having to quarantine there. Thus for now I would like a way to get the jab in Thailand.

First of all, there is no quarantine for a US citizen going back to the US as long as he has a PCR negative result 72 hours prior to checking-in. Your problem isn't a mere one week quarantine. It is however "not being able to get back to Thailand" (if you're on a tourist visa) once you leave the country. Sorry to rain on your parade but as far as for foreigners getting vaccinated before the last Thai citizen does will only cause uprising and uproar among Thais and the govt knows that. Thais are very political and nationalistic and their history is proof of that. You're gonna have to wait a long time before you get the jab in your arm in LOS. I myself realized that I might get the virus and even die before I get vaccinated in a foreign country before their citizens so decided to leave and get my vaccine in the US, even if that means I can't come back for a while. Life is full of these "fun" choices we make I guess.So I booked my flight and I'm leaving next week

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

First of all, there is no quarantine for a US citizen going back to the US as long as he has a PCR negative result 72 hours prior to checking-in. Your problem isn't a mere one week quarantine. It is however "not being able to get back to Thailand" (if you're on a tourist visa) once you leave the country. Sorry to rain on your parade but as far as for foreigners getting vaccinated before the last Thai citizen does will only cause uprising and uproar among Thais and the govt knows that. Thais are very political and nationalistic and their history is proof of that with whopping 19 coup-detats. You're gonna have to wait a long time before you get the jab in your arm in LOS. I myself realized that I might get the virus and even die before I get vaccinated in a foreign country before their last citizen, so finally decided to leave and get my vaccine in the US, even if that means I can't come back for a while. Life is full of these "fun" choices we make I guess.So I booked my flight and I'm leaving next week

21 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

First of all, there is no quarantine for a US citizen going back to the US as long as he has a PCR negative result 72 hours prior to checking-in. Your problem isn't a mere one week quarantine. It is however "not being able to get back to Thailand" (if you're on a tourist visa) once you leave the country. Sorry to rain on your parade but as far as for foreigners getting vaccinated before the last Thai citizen does will only cause uprising and uproar among Thais and the govt knows that. Thais are very political and nationalistic and their history is proof of that. You're gonna have to wait a long time before you get the jab in your arm in LOS. I myself realized that I might get the virus and even die before I get vaccinated in a foreign country before their citizens so decided to leave and get my vaccine in the US, even if that means I can't come back for a while. Life is full of these "fun" choices we make I guess.So I booked my flight and I'm leaving next week

It looks like quarantine remains a requirement even with a negative test. But not sure if these are just suggestions.

image.png.e728cf283ba6f9e993e20d4f63b2b052.png

Travel During COVID-19 | CDC

Edited by wasabi

34 minutes ago, wasabi said:

It looks like quarantine remains a requirement even with a negative test. But not sure if these are just suggestions.

image.png.e728cf283ba6f9e993e20d4f63b2b052.png

Travel During COVID-19 | CDC

you are right. this sounds more advisory than mandatory, however it should be followed by all travelers. Chances of getting Covid during a flight with all passengers having tested negative is slim to none. You have a better chance winning the lottery and how often does that happen? anyday I will take that kind of chance to fly back to get the vaccine and have protection instead of waiting forever, stress out for months and be a sitting duck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pattayadude said:

You happen to be incorrect; international travelers entering the US are STILL subject to mandatory quarantines of varying lengths of time in some US states whether or not they tested negative prior to departure. 

As for your comment about no expats getting vaccinated before the last Thai national is vaccinated, wrong again:

Confirmed, expats in Phuket will receive Covid-19 vaccines

Please don't say things on this forum that are not verifiably true.  It just adds to the confusion of an already confusing topic.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 3:55 AM, RichardColeman said:

Don't agree much with the BBC, but this is their tracker , so actually travellers from Asia and africa and middle eats should be banned for years whilst welcoming westerners, but we all know the big nation will be first

Your data is from Jan 27 and is outdated. Significant errors. It was done when Jannsen and Novavax vaccines were not  approved. Pfizer/Moderna plants were at minimal output. Now they are in overdrive.  This makes a big difference in vaccine supply, especially since Janssen is one dose.

-Brazil will not be even partially vaccinated against the  variants now running wild in the country.

-Canada will be fully vaccinated for adults by Q3 2021 with children age 12+dosed by end of Q4.

- EU may not be fully vaccinated until end of Q1 2022.

- Singapore, Taiwan adults will be fully vaccinated by end of 2021.

- Gulf states and Israel will be fully vaccinated around same time as USA.

- Australia may have to wait to late 2022 if EU keeps blocking exports. They are trying to   get agreement with Canada and USA for excess vaccines.

- Mexico will be  mostly unvaccinated well into 2023

On 3/25/2021 at 4:25 PM, jacko45k said:

Well it is up to them.... is it the obligation of every country to subsidize tourists and foreigners who do not contribute into their welfare systems? Best we can hope for is the hospitals offering the vaccinations at a fair price and we can all go get done or not as we chose. 

Bad public health policy. Anyone  in Thailand who is in the risk group should be vaccinated. Covid will not skip a farang and that  infected farang could infect Thais. it is in Thailand best interest to give vaccine to everyone, Thai and farang alike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Bad public health policy. Anyone  in Thailand who is in the risk group should be vaccinated. Covid will not skip a farang and that  infected farang could infect Thais. it is in Thailand best interest to give vaccine to everyone, Thai and farang alike.

It would also be seen negatively if foreigners were getting the vaccinations while locals were not, particularly if infections were to take off here. (Heaven forbid). Where there might be a supply or logistics issue, and vaccinating 70 million there will be, I would expect some preferential treatment  for locals. I just hope their other big controlling factor, their love of money and profit, allows hospitals to start selling vaccinations. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It would also be seen negatively if foreigners were getting the vaccinations while locals were not, particularly if infections were to take off here. (Heaven forbid). Where there might be a supply or logistics issue, and vaccinating 70 million there will be, I would expect some preferential treatment  for locals. I just hope their other big controlling factor, their love of money and profit, allows hospitals to start selling vaccinations. 

It really makes no sense that there should be any discrimination about who gets the vaccine first in terms of Thai Nationals vs foreigners.  When you think about it logically, the whole purpose of administering vaccines is not really to protect the individual as much as to allow "herd immunity" to happen.  Nationality really has nothing to do with it.

For the nation as a whole, vaccinating expats is just as important as vaccinating Thai nationals.  

Some 70 – 80% of the population need to be vaccinated  to create herd immunity. The Thai government so far has secured only 63 million doses, or about 45% the amount needed to inoculate the country's 69 million people.

This whole notion of the government not allowing private hospitals to procure vaccines on their own is a big mistake IMO since this would only help the Kingdom reach herd immunity faster, and therefore protect Thai and non-Thai people faster, and just as importantly, allow tourism (the lifeblood of the Thai economy) to resume quicker.

If an expat is in a financial position to pay for a hospital vaccine, how could that be considered a negative or an affront to a Thai National if it means that herd immunity will be reached faster and the economy can recover more quickly?

Again, it is not about the individual; it is about the population as a whole that really matters.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, pattayadude said:

you are right. this sounds more advisory than mandatory, however it should be followed by all travelers. Chances of getting Covid during a flight with all passengers having tested negative is slim to none. You have a better chance winning the lottery and how often does that happen? anyday I will take that kind of chance to fly back to get the vaccine and have protection instead of waiting forever, stress out for months and be a sitting duck

I think you should really reconsider that Thailand is one of the safest places on earth as far as chances go of becoming infected.  I would hardly say that remaining here is Thailand until you can get a vaccine is like being a "sitting duck". 

Personally I think you would be at far greater risk of being exposed to the virus by travelling to the US right now to get the vaccine instead of just staying put here in Thailand practicing sensible measures like social distancing, wearing a mask in public, and washing your hands until you can get the vaccine here.

Just my personal opinion but how many of us are really freaking out about contracting the virus here in Thailand at this point in time?

I think the private hospitals will prevail and anyone willing to pay for a vaccine will be able to get it probably sooner than we realize, and at a lot less cost that a trip back to the States, and with far less chance of infection from a trip like that.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

f an expat is in a financial position to pay for a hospital vaccine, how could that be considered a negative or an affront to a Thai National if it means that herd immunity will be reached faster and the economy can recover more quickly?

I agree completely with what you say... but imagine if the vaccine was only easily available to those that could pay in say the  UK. There, as it would in Thailand, it would raise great malcontent. So it must be readily available to all....I wonder if me, or my Mrs, will be the first to get the shot. 

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I agree completely with what you say... but imagine if the vaccine was only easily available to those that could pay in say the  UK. There, as it would in Thailand, it would raise great malcontent. So it must be readily available to all....I wonder if me, or my Mrs, will be the first to get the shot. 

Well, as I said before, I think it benefits the entire nation as a whole that everyone (Thai Nationals and foreigners alike) be vaccinated ASAP. 

The entire purpose of a vaccine is NOT to protect the individual, but the entire population (by allowing herd immunity to take place).  Herd immunity will only occur when at least 70% of the population has been vaccinated.

When you look at it that way, I don't think anybody should look at this as a Thai National vs foreigner issue, as far as who should be vaccinated first. 

Everybody needs to be vaccinated as fast as possible to reach that 70% figure, and if foreigners are willing and able to pay for their vaccination, it benefits Thai Nationals as well as foreigners.  It is clearly a win-win situation for all.

With the extremely high R-naught of this virus, all it takes is one person to become infected (irregardless if the person is a National or a foreigner) and you've got another out-of-control spread.

I think (hope) that Thai authorities understand this and will very quickly allow the private hospitals to procure and distribute the vaccine to those who can pay for it.

I think everybody here in the Kingdom feels relatively safe from infection right now considering the excellent way the authorities have protected us all by not allowing foreigners into the KIngdom, and the due diligence we all practice in terms of safe behavior (masks, social distancing, etc).

BUT the real issue is the economy.  Every day that passes without tourism, more and more Thai people suffer huge economic hardships, and life for all of us is just not what it used to be before the pandemic.

Only herd immunity will allow this to change and so THAT should be the real goal, not debate about who gets the vaccine first.

All around the world, when we can finally look back on the pandemic with hindsight, I think the real tragedy is going to an economic one that far outweighs the health effects of the virus itself.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:26 PM, Destiny1990 said:

To build some sort of immunity they have to vaccinate 40-50 Million people. 1 Million vaccinated people in October its close to nothing !

Yes, but maybe Thailand can do like Jesus did with the fish and loafs, and miraculously have 1 million doses vaccinate 45 million Thai's, all before October.  ????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, but maybe Thailand can do like Jesus did with the fish and loafs, and miraculously have 1 million doses vaccinate 45 million Thai's, all before October.  ????

Soon to be launched the Micro-dose vaccine. ????