Insurance when renting a motorbike

watgate

I am planning on renting a motorbike while on vacation and was wondering if you can take out insurance on the motorbike to cover you for damage and theft? If so, any idea how much the insurance would cost?

• Haha 1

I researched this years ago. Talked to brokers and insurance companies.

I was unable to purchase insurance coverage on a rental bike. Reason given was I am not the owner.

Most rentals only have basic government insurance, no collision. You wreck it you buy it. You damage it you pay to have it repaired.

Heard of some who attempt to do a runner. Google Immigration detention centers before you consider this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends how long your here for.

Friends of mine came here for 3 months to ride a motorcycle and wanted to be properly insured.

They found a Kawasaki dealer in Bangkok who sold new bikes and secondhand.

They bought a new motorcycle and got full first year insurance cover and the dealer bought the motorcycle back off them when they got back.

You get hospital coverage with pink sticker for yearly registration sticker , my gf went to BKK hospital and used 30,000 b in coverage 

Edited by Aomelia
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, watgate said:

If so, any idea how much the insurance would cost?

Travel insurance will cover you if you get injured, however you have to read the fine print, as some might only allow you to ride up to 125cc, must wear a helmet and be licensed or have a IRP, international riders permit to go with your riders license in your country and that is basically were you get it from, good for up to 12 months and about $30 depending on the country your from.

Been riding bikes up to 1100cc for 4 decades, and would never ride one here, enough hair raising experiences here in a car alone day to day, now on a bike with no protection, not going to happen, growing older gracefully and in one piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Aomelia said:

You get hospital coverage with pink sticker for yearly registration sticker , my gf went to BKK hospital and used 30,000 b in coverage 

That is for her it doesn't cover 3rd party or property which is what the poster wants.

• Like 1

There was a motorbike renting co that used to offer insurance, so it is available (advertised on another forum). Maybe ask for recommendations on facebook "Pattaya Oracle" group.

I recall in the last year or so after tourists were scammed to pay for damage renters had to offer insurance, not just basic compulsory, so maybe some are complying

12 hours ago, watgate said:

...was wondering if you can take out insurance on the motorbike to cover you for damage and theft?

To my knowledge not on a rented bike.

Be aware that many rental bikes only have the mandatory insurance, which covers next to nothing.

My best advice, especially if you rent with mandatory insurance only, is to buy a good tranvel-insurance, or PA-insurance, that covers motorbike accidents (some don't), and a third party liability insurance that also covers motor bike damage made by you (liability is sometimes included in a travel insurance). However, theft etc. might still be on your own account, so don't rent something more expensive than you can afford it.

You need to wear helmet and have a valid driver's license for motorbike – international when staying under three month, Thai when staying longer than three month – otherwise insurance might not cover; same might be the case for drunk driving.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...