After Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai next in line to welcome vaccinated foreign tourists

webfact

Great to see steps being considered for reducing quarantine, but..... 

"Under the "sandbox" plan where limited travel is allowed tourists will be taken from airports to hotels and stay in a specified area for seven days before being allowed to travel to the rest of Thailand." 

Albeit relaxed quarantine, it is still Q.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkktodd said:

This if for vaccinated tourists....you can go. And quarantine then travel anywhere your wife lives.  

Vaccinated people rushing over to mingle with a vastly unvaccinated Thailand population.  The vaccination offers zero immunity or cure so none of this makes sense

• Thanks 1

And when the tourist come back so will the girls from isaan so are they going to vaccinate all of them as well in pattaya and all places . I don't think 950.000 vaccines will be nearly enough . Just start to get on with ordering enough vaccines and start to vaccinate the whole country all those stupid plans . All the money what they are paying these dumb..... could buy a lot of vaccines i geuss . 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I was wondering how foreign tourists would feel about going to an area in Thailand where at best 60%-70% of locals have been inoculated... ??

Or possible foreign country governments saying they are no-go countries?

If I have been vaccinated, I would not mind.  Of course, they might.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the "sandbox" plan where limited travel is allowed tourists will be taken from airports to hotels and stay in a specified area for seven days before being allowed to travel to the rest of Thailand. 

Wifey says Northern Thais don't want potential Covid carrying foreigners in Chiang Mai or anywhere else for that matter.  "No good!"  That pretty much sums it up.
And a "sandbox" is still a quarantine. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JeffP said:

Why only holiday destinations, why not rural abodes like Sahatsakhan, Kalasin province so I can see my wife!

Why not have your wife come see you in Phuket if and when this plan actually happens?

I don't know if this will actually happen, but if yes it is great news and at least personally I would much prefer traveling freely within Phuket to being locked up in a BKK hotel for 7 days (done the 16 days stint already - doubt I will ever again).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

And when the tourist come back so will the girls from isaan so are they going to vaccinate all of them as well in pattaya and all places

I don't see the problem. Make it a requirement for anyone in the service industry to be vaccinated or they can't work - with huge fines for any violation. First stop from Isaan should be a jab. Not the usual kind of jab...

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Sadly Chiang Mai passed away last week due to air pollution.  

This is true, but the Chinese only visit Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai, otherwise Hua Hin would have been included.

And I pray to all the Buddhas and the gods it stays that way !!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beano2274 said:

What is to stop other Thai people travelling into these cities who have not been vaccinated by the Thai authorities.

10 hours ago, GlassWayOverHalfFull said:

Over 7,000 posts.  Any of them positive about anything? 

Very valid question, nothing negative about this.

Answer is very simple, they are trying Phuket first as it is less likely Thais will flock to Phuket as soon as the tourists start to arrive, the distance between Nakhon Essan and Phuket is quite significant. It’s a geographical thing. 

There are enough workers in & around Phuket, many workers have remained in Phuket, it’s 800kms away from the last known case of COVID in Thailand.

The detail seems to be missing from Pipat's latest 'scheme' and you can bet you last baht that the detail will mean that very few Westerners will actually be prepared to travel.

In relation to ALL of the 'schemes', 'plans' and 'proposals', PCR tests and Covid Free Certificates have been mentioned - nothing confirmed.

Visitors from countries that have the virus under control seems to be replaced with 'the shortened quarantine period will only apply to people who do not travel from countries with a record of new virus variants' - well that's the UK, USA, Brazil, South Africa and most of Europe out for starters. Has China had any variants? ????

I note the 10 day quarantine (which will probably be 11 days) is due to start in less than a week and no list of countries has been given yet. That scheme seems to be different to what was originally proposed.  As far as I remember the first announcment said a negative PCR test or a Covid Free certificate would be required - I've never heard of a Covid Free certificate but it seems to have disappeared in the notices put out by Thai Embassies.

image.png.a248fd6b42dbeba69fd1a9a2d367df5b.png

Personally the most problematic 'condition' (that hasn't been mentioned for a while) was the statement that people would only qualify if they travelled within 3 months of their vaccination.  Many people visit Thailand numerous times per year - I know of 2 families that normally visit twice.  I travel 6 to 8 times per year to visit my wife but quarantine makes that impossible - I believe quite a lot of other people live in Thailand but work abroad/offshore.  Worryingly, I think this condition will almost certainly be imposed. For me that would mean I have to travel in either June, July or August and not again until I have another round of jabs. At the moment none of us knows how often we will be vaccinated in the future but I doubt its going to be every 3 months. I don't know why they seem to think the vaccine will only be effective for 3 months. Do they plan on vaccinating the Thai population every 3 months?

These constant plans and proposals together with lack of detail on their conditions just makes you weary - I won't believe any of it until I see it in writing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Why should that concern them if they've been vaccinated?  None of the vaccines give 100% protection against Covid 19 but there's not a lot of point in getting vaccinated if you're going to worry and behave as if you haven't had it.

Or should we get vaccinated and stay home, walk 2m apart and not meet people from other households?

But..... people get vaccinated mainly to protect themselves, to avoid becoming terribly sick , to avoid an overload in the hospitals and save beds .

For the moment there is not enough data to say how long the vaccin will protect you, and it will not stop you contracting a milder form of the disease,  and it doesn’t mean you will not infect others. 
i don’t want to get sick with this , I also don’t want to bring it to my elderly family while on holiday. Masks and distancing are here for a while, and there’s no answer as to how to manage tourism while the virus is still around. 

13 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I really think that Governments are going to draw up maybe their own list of Countries placed under restrictive travel for their Citizens.

This Pandemic has cost many Governments astronomical sums of Money in the forms of Worker Furloughs, Business Aid Packages, Debt reliefs Etc Etc Etc, as well as immense burdens on their Health Care Facilities, and they are not going to put at risk the possibility of more infections transmitted in from Foreign lands that have poor Inoculation among their populations. Some of which may be new variants ( or not   )and not responsive to the existing forms of Vaccines,

I think you're correct, a responsible country is going to look at other destinations and their inoculation programme before allowing natives to travel there, if it is 100% done then it will open up to them. But will discourage residents from going somewhere that has done virtually nothing, allow it's natives to travel and contract covid [or new strains] and come back to infect them all over again.

Thailand spouts off about being safe & trusted... 60%-70% residents inoculated then opened up for profit is short of that .

22 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

Why is it all of these thai officials look like hardened criminals, is it a special pose for the camera?

With all due respect, that is his wonderful, endearing smile. This is the Land of Smiles after all.  : )

23 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

Why is it all of these thai officials look like hardened criminals, is it a special pose for the camera?

How can they look like hardened criminals if they don't have facial hair? ????

19 hours ago, Eibot said:

Since the vaccination does not stop the possibility to spread, how does Thailand think to contain spread to the rest of Thailand who is not vaccinated? This "tiny detail" seems to not be discussed at all...

By deploying the same methods that they have used for the last year and very successfully too.

So does this mean i can arrange for a thai friend to come from BKK to Phuket and then meet me there.

once holiday over, i fly home and she can fly back to bkk?

Surely that couldnt be allowed?

Edited by Big Yuley
added
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2021 at 2:45 AM, tingtongfarang said:

Because they most probably are,you only need to look at some of their history,especially in coastal area's! with lots of bars and entertainment!

• Haha 1

I personally am glad to see some movement to a more risk on attitude.. 

However what happens when the inevitable infections happen ?? Are they going to be able to maintain a pragmatic balance of risk or are they going to pull the rug out from under any of these plans and options as soon as that very obvious thing occurs. 

There needs to be a commitment to increased risk, otherwise these plans are going to be skuppered at the first hurdle when cases are imported, and given the state of vaccinations protection they inevitably will. 

On 3/27/2021 at 3:03 AM, Big Yuley said:

So does this mean i can arrange for a thai friend to come from BKK to Phuket and then meet me there.

once holiday over, i fly home and she can fly back to bkk?

Surely that couldnt be allowed?

ha ha.. as if no ones even considered it ????

This is what I mean about risk above.. I think its great they are taking a sightly more pragmatic approach, but can they maintain that approach when the inevitable happens. 

On 3/26/2021 at 7:54 PM, rumak said:

"take my wife.     Please ! "

Ask her to take a full body picture (not a doctored selfie), bring her updated bankbook and originals of all land and properties she own. After that, I will make a decision.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:26 PM, ericisking said:

".... will not need to quarantine from July 1st"

Then ....... "tourists will be taken from airport to hotel and stay in a specified area for 7 days."

Isn't that a contradiction ? .... sounds like 7 days quarantine to me !

7days quarantine from April 1st.  He is an idiot