EURO 2020

stament

22 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

To us Scots you are all soft southern sissies.

Then you need to tell your boy Gilmore to shop cuddling his Uncles Mason and   Ben. He’s a big boy now 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

Scotland 1-1 just before half time

Awesome.... would love to see Scotland through... one more goal from them !!!

England have played the first half very well...  a handful of solid chances - Saka and Grealish have been awesome.

Faster football - England finally look for more than a 15min spell. 

22 hours ago, ChipButty said:

We got lucky again

As mentioned before if we got 7pts it wouldn't be lucky. Clear winners of our group for once despite a disappointing  performance against Scotland doesn't mean overall we were lucky to qualify. Other teams were inferior to us overall so I can't agree with your assessment at all. 

• Like 1

England doing well to win the group without really finding form yet.

Scotland were predictably game raisers against the 'auld enemy' but equally predictably they finished bottom of the group without a victory and a GD of -4. Sturgeon reacted to another winner from Sterling by banning travel to Manchester ????.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-57551236

What a goal from Modric though. Outside of the right boot from just outside the box. Pure class. Nice one Luka. Perfect timing.

image.png.250a803243ecea7fd49676798b06b04b.png

• Thanks 1

I just don't get it, first half England were good with the front four all inter-changing and stretching the Czech back four, dealt with the attacking play of the Czech's quite well with just one shot on target.

Have a cup of tea and a chat with the Manager at Half-time and it all changes. It's as though Southgate told them to tighten it up and to keep their shape, end result being a rather boring second half. Odd considering when we play with pace and movement we look a half decent side.

Having said that we qualified top of the group, job done, let's hope the next game is an earlier kick-off time and doesn't end in glorious failure.

23 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I just don't get it, first half England were good with the front four all inter-changing and stretching the Czech back four, dealt with the attacking play of the Czech's quite well with just one shot on target.

Have a cup of tea and a chat with the Manager at Half-time and it all changes. It's as though Southgate told them to tighten it up and to keep their shape, end result being a rather boring second half. Odd considering when we play with pace and movement we look a half decent side.

Having said that we qualified top of the group, job done, let's hope the next game is an earlier kick-off time and doesn't end in glorious failure.

Yeah second half was poor but job done. The Czechs never really had a go. 
Next Tuesdays game is 5pm KO UK time. 

Sooo, England - Germany 11.00pm Tues 29th !!

My birthday right on the start of the second half , would be a nice present if Kane came out of hibernation to pop one in ( Phillips assist of course).

Of course if it goes to extra time I will be peeking from behind the sofa and penalties !! …….. probably just go to bed as we all know how that is gonna work out ☹️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sooo, England - Germany 11.00pm Tues 29th !!

My birthday right on the start of the second half , would be a nice present if Kane came out of hibernation to pop one in ( Phillips assist of course).

Of course if it goes to extra time I will be peeking from behind the sofa and penalties !! …….. probably just go to bed as we all know how that is gonna work out ☹️

Feeling nervous already.

I watched the '66 World Cup in a German Bar.....been down hill ever since.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Haha 1

*True facts*

1. In the 1400s a law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb.

Hence we have 'the rule of thumb.'

2. Many years ago in Scotland , a new game was invented. It was ruled 'Gentlemen Only...

Ladies Forbidden'... and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

3. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:

Spades - King David,

Hearts - Charlemagne,

Clubs -Alexander the Great,

Diamonds - Julius Caesar

4. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase......... 'goodnight, sleep tight.'

5. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink.

Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.

6. Since 1966, England fans have said they are going to win the cup at the start of every football competition, hence the phrase ‘deluded gobßhites'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

We do need something a tad more inspiring don't we

Is so dour and uninspiring. Love listening to the Italian, French and even German anthems. By the end of the first line ours is normally out of sync anyhow. 

Predictions tonight? I'll go 1-1, Germany on penalties.

Let's hope Southgate has steered the players clear of this ridiculous 'Germany rivalry' narrative that weighs the players down. Ask Holland,  Italy and France who their historical football rival is and guess who they'd say .... Germany!!

What that means is for Germany this isn't the big historical significance that it is for us. They don't care, and that's a good thing for their players. 

Edited by RickG16

Fantastic day at the Euros yesterday. 
Great performances by Croatia and Switzerland. 

Highlight of the evening was the Swiss comeback, 3-1 down 9 minutes to go. What great attitude. 

The arrogance of Pogba and his pals got what they deserved and the mimicking of his goal celebration by Xhaka and his teammates at the end was priceless. Xhaka was excellent all game and MOTM. 

Fitting it was Mbappe who missed his penalty. He had a stinker last night and all tournament but of course he can’t be subbed. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

We will never have a better opportunity to both beat Germany and progress to the final the way the draw has panned out.
A lot will depend on the team he selects as well as the formation. 

My  gut feel is he will revert back to his  usual “reliables” and stick with the likes of Mount, Kane and Sterling and leave out Saka and Grealish. 

Likely tomorrow the inquest will begin as to why he kept faith with a desperately out of form Kane and didn’t start with the people’s favourite Grealish and fearless Saka. 

I hope I’m wrong. 

Teams that win at this level have centre backs that can "play football"......not just tackle, win headers and clear the ball...........Stones et al are not very competent and I worry we will see England spend 90% of their possession passing the ball square, panicking, going long....and possession is lost.

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

My  gut feel is he will revert back to his  usual “reliables” and stick with his pets Mount, Kane and Sterling and leave out Saka and Grealish

Latest appears to be Five at the back plus Saka/Kane/Sterling but NO Grealish!

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Teams that win at this level have centre backs that can "play football"......not just tackle, win headers and clear the ball...........Stones et al are not very competent and I worry we will see England spend 90% of their possession passing the ball square, panicking, going long....and possession is lost.

Stones will have to be at his best to cover for Maguire's lack of pace. 

edit:anyone else notice how good Lindelof has been for Sweden not having to cover for the donkey. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, wilai said:

Latest appears to be Five at the back plus Saka/Kane/Sterling but NO Grealish!

I will be surprised if Saka starts. So no Foden? Grealish he just sees as a. Luxury players because his philosophy is to negate the opposition rather than expose their weaknesses. 

Grealish is a game changer and the most gifted player we have at this time but still won’t get to start. The Germans will love playing against Southgates  trusted predictables. 

Edited by Kadilo