Surfskate Girl

Kinnock

10 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I don't get this why do you call it surf skating? is that an American name again? where I live we call it skate  boarding

had this argument with my wife.  She said it was a surfskate not a skateboard. I said 'only in Thailand my love, like a lot of things, Thais get it wrong, out of step with the rest of the World, again'. They sell them as skateboards on Thai Lazarda

11 hours ago, Pilotman said:

had this argument with my wife.  She said it was a surfskate not a skateboard. I said 'only in Thailand my love, like a lot of things, Thais get it wrong, out of step with the rest of the World, again'. They sell them as skateboards on Thai Lazarda

There are many different types of skateboards.

"Surfskate" is the Thai term for a certain type of skateboard, currently hip in Thailand. Outside of Thailand this type of skateboard would probably called "cruiser".

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 10:37 PM, jackdd said:

There are many different types of skateboards.

"Surfskate" is the Thai term for a certain type of skateboard, currently hip in Thailand. Outside of Thailand this type of skateboard would probably called "cruiser".

Surfskates are global - first one was made in US in 1996 and Carver still make this design of surfskate.  Most popular ones these days are from Australia and Spain (Smoothstar and Yow).  They were designed to allow surfers to practice manoeuvres on flat wave days.

Surfskating has really taken off in Thailand, but the term did not come from Thailand.

They are different to skateboards in that they can steer, and they only go in one direction.  Cruisers are similar, but with a cruiser you don't have the 'surf trainer's action' and you still need to push sometimes.

Edited by Kinnock

On 3/31/2021 at 11:23 AM, Pilotman said:

Your wife is right.  

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2021 at 12:40 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

I don't get this why do you call it surf skating? is that an American name again? where I live we call it skate  boarding

Skateboarding needs a slope or a push/kick to move, and skateboards move in both directions.  Surfskates can propel without putting your feet down, and they were designed as a surf trainer.  

It's a variety of skateboard in the same way a pick up truck is a type of car, or a scooter is a type of bicycle - but in use they are very different.  

1358781565_Screenshot_20210408-202825_VideoPlayer-01-01.thumb.jpeg.dc5a2610450757522458cc537f39bfbd.jpeg

Central Village

Mega Bangna and Fortune Town now too crowded - Surfskating has really taken off in Thailand.  Also impressed that shopping centres dedicate part of their parking area for surfskates and skateboards- in the past Security would tell skateboarders to leave.