Eight arrested for Phuket Town car park scam

webfact

1616742871_1-org.jpg

Photo: Phuket City Police

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Police last night (Mar 25) arrested eight people who were involved in a scam whereby they were illegally charging people to park their vehicles in public areas near Nimit circle on the east side of Phuket Town.

Capt Wiritpol Tip-aut of Phuket City Police told The Phuket News this morning that he was called to the scene around 10pm last night.

On arriving he found the eight people who had been demanding a fee from people who parked in the public areas near the circle, a spot popular with many entertainment venues.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/eight-arrested-for-phuket-town-car-park-scam-79474.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-03-26

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

This is exactly why I have no sympathy for Phukets woes, they don't deserve tourists ....!!!!

Hypocritical!

The same  scams happen in your location, look it up.  Scammers exist everywhere.

Why don't you seek some credibility by being honest about the real reasons for your dislike of Phuket.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Hypocritical!

The same  scams happen in your location, look it up.  Scammers exist everywhere.

Why don't you seek some credibility by being honest about the real reasons for your dislike of Phuket.

It does NOT exist in my location and never has.

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

It does NOT exist in my location and never has.

If you read my post again more carefully, I was being specific about there having been the same scam (parking) in Pattaya which the complainer states is his location.

Then I said scammers are everywhere, I didn't say parking scammers are everywhere!

As you apparently live near a 7/11, I'm sure they exist nearby.

Drove into a field being used for parking near Durdle Door.......a likely looking youth with a leather satchel was stood at the gate taking a quid of everyone .......I refused and asked who he worked for and where was his ID.........he just legged it........must have made a small fortune.

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Drove into a field being used for parking near Durdle Door.......a likely looking youth with a leather satchel was stood at the gate taking a quid of everyone .......I refused and asked who he worked for and where was his ID.........he just legged it........must have made a small fortune.

Cheap Charlie

• Haha 2

Hey, some people find ways to survive in difficult times.

No violence, just collaboration to get the funds being shared...

Some markets ask 5 bahts to go for a pee... And I see some customers go out of there with a smile. ????????

4 hours ago, sherwood said:

Soi Sansabai in Patong had the scam going on for years and may still have. 

Some malarky about the street being privately owned. Ten baht to park your bike after 5pm.

Did you ever consider the street is privately owned?

13 hours ago, sherwood said:

Soi Sansabai in Patong had the scam going on for years and may still have. 

Some malarky about the street being privately owned. Ten baht to park your bike after 5pm.

Soi Sansabai IS a privately owned soi, as is Soi Banzaan (which allows free parking). At one time there was a private car park where the soi ended, but the owners eliminated it in order to extend the soi all the way to the third road and then began charging for motorbike parking along the soi.

• Thanks 1

Entrepreneurs!  That's it! That's the ticket!

These folks are probably out of work, and will be coming to your town or village next week! 

Probably delivering meth or other substances to the community as well.

Scams and Schemes... Schemes and Scams. 

If it works for the government, why not them? 

Seriously? Whats the fine going to be? A night in jail....

• Sad 1

On 3/27/2021 at 9:01 AM, Geoffggi said:

This is exactly why I have no sympathy for Phukets woes, they don't deserve tourists ....!!!!

As there are minimal tourists around right now...and Phuket Town isn't where they normally congregate, I'd surmise they were likely fleecing local Thais out for a nite. 

• Like 1