Question about work permits, visas and 1yr extensions

I have a job offer for work offshore within Thailand. I am currently on a 1yr Extension of Stay based on Marriage. My company has stated that I need to be on a non-immigrant B visa in order to get a work permit? Is this true? If so, is it possible to change immigration status with Thai borders or would I have to leave and come back? Also, if a work permit is allowed on my current immigration status, the job is only temporary (a few months), so what would happen with my work permit? Lastly, what are the tax implications of all this? Thanks in advance.

You can apply for a work permit and work with a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

It requires submitting a copy of your marriage certificate with the application for a work permit.

You can also use your income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement for your extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbone999 said:

...the job is only temporary (a few months), so what would happen with my work permit?

After your job is finished the work permit would be cancelled. The great benefit of using your Non O extension of stay would be that you would not have to leave the country or change extension type after the cancellation of your work permit, as your permission to stay would still exist (ie you would still be married and staying on a marriage extension). With a Non B you would have to either leave the country or change your extension type back to marriage.

1 hour ago, Tbone999 said:

Lastly, what are the tax implications of all this?

You would have to pay income tax like everyone else, which would be deducted at source. During January next year file your tax return online and see if you get a tax refund.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, blackcab said:

After your job is finished the work permit would be cancelled. The great benefit of using your Non O extension of stay would be that you would not have to leave the country or change extension type after the cancellation of your work permit, as your permission to stay would still exist (ie you would still be married and staying on a marriage extension). With a Non B you would have to either leave the country or change your extension type back to marriage.

You would have to pay income tax like everyone else, which would be deducted at source. During January next year file your tax return online and see if you get a tax refund.

Thanks for the info.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:23 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a work permit and work with a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

It requires submitting a copy of your marriage certificate with the application for a work permit.

You can also use your income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement for your extension.

As I'm married to a Thai, can I apply for a work-permit (based on spouse visa) with no fixed employer(allowing me to work for anyone) or is the work permit tied to a specific employer and I can only work for them?

Regards

52 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

As I'm married to a Thai, can I apply for a work-permit (based on spouse visa) with no fixed employer(allowing me to work for anyone) or is the work permit tied to a specific employer and I can only work for them?

Regards

You have to be working for a registered Thai company or partnership to get a work permit.

1 hour ago, Pmbkk said:

As I'm married to a Thai, can I apply for a work-permit (based on spouse visa) with no fixed employer(allowing me to work for anyone)...

If it were that easy there would be a lot more married Thai women!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 2:49 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

is the company a Thai owned company or is it a foreign owned company with permission to work within Thai waters? 

They have an office branch registered in Thailand, but they seem convinced I need to change my visa to Non-B for the work permit. What's the situation with changing the non-b back to my marriage permit to stay afterwards?

2 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

They have an office branch registered in Thailand, but they seem convinced I need to change my visa to Non-B for the work permit. What's the situation with changing the non-b back to my marriage permit to stay afterwards?

They are wrong. You can apply for a work permit with your extension based upon marriage as I wrote in my first post in this topic. Ask them to check with the work permit office.

You cannot change to a non-b visa without leaving and re-entering the country after getting a non-b visa at embassy or consulate.

You could change to a extension of stay based upon working but you would need the work permit to do it.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They are wrong. You can apply for a work permit with your extension based upon marriage as I wrote in my first post in this topic. Ask them to check with the work permit office.

You cannot change to a non-b visa without leaving and re-entering the country after getting a non-b visa at embassy or consulate.

You could change to a extension of stay based upon working but you would need the work permit to do it.

I think it's getting confusing because they keep quoting visas, but I'm on an extension of stay based on marriage. I'll ask them again.

11 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

I think it's getting confusing because they keep quoting visas, but I'm on an extension of stay based on marriage. I'll ask them again.

So, the process of changing back from an extension based on work to one of marriage, is that straighforward without the re-submittance of all my documents as I did for the annual renewal? And would it take again another 6weeks before the approval came back? I'm a bit hesitant with having my status changed, with the Phuket office, everyone seems to have different rules, so I don't want to be left in limbo.