B737 at terminal 21

skippybangkok

On 3/26/2021 at 7:57 AM, kingofthemountain said:

The plane was in the fleet of Orient Thai Airlines

after a lot of problems (You can find the details on wiki)

the company filed for bankruptcy in oct 2018

This plane has probably been sell at auction for a cheap price

after being strip from all the expensive stuff (Engines, electronic, seats and so on)

the remaining is only an empty metalic shell, not the most costly part of the airplane

Wow! Thanks for the details. Thank goodness for wiki. Many planes, some used for parts, sit in the California desert because the dry heat helps preserve them. The OP could buy one for his front yard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Wow! Thanks for the details. Thank goodness for wiki. Many planes, some used for parts, sit in the California desert because the dry heat helps preserve them. The OP could buy one for his front yard.

There is the body of a 747 lying at the side of the No7 on the way out of Pattaya.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The one at Beach/2nd rd. Self taken photo, much better in the forum/net.

210309175407.jpg

Nobody been working on that site for about a month. I wonder how the sales drive for renting plots there is going. Not too good is my guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

There is the body of a 747 lying at the side of the No7 on the way out of Pattaya.

There's also a 747 at the Airplane Park near the university in Korat. They had an A330 when I was last there, but it seems they have now 'upgraded' a bit.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:13 AM, sandyf said:

My wife and I flew back from China on Orient Thai in 2013, we were the only 2 passengers on board. Unfortunately they were alcohol free, the staff were falling over themselves to serve us coffee and biscuits.

When we landed at DM they brought our bags to the bottom of the steps and we were out of the airport and on the expressway in less than half an hour, best arrival experience ever.

Good grief! No wonder they went tits up!

2 hours ago, elgenon said:
On 3/28/2021 at 10:06 AM, sandyf said:

Yes, I always wonder how? why? 

Took the wrong runway exit as directed by ground control and, as they say, the rest is history

Here's the very same aircraft (HS-BRA) when it was in operation.

Looks like the got the local galvanized bucket factory to make the engine nacelles for the SCB one.

HS-BRA.jpg.927566d3cd6c1a3e7c9728f6f6aba00a.jpg

Here's a potted history. Hardly "relatively new" at +35 year old but probably had the winglets and engine upgrades during it's life in the US.

359830728_HS-BRAtoo.jpg.68699b917b84d324cd033fd753ac6f29.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:45 AM, NanLaew said:

Good grief! No wonder they went tits up!

Quite, our flight out with them was cancelled and we were put on Air Asia. We came back at the start of the Oct "Golden Week" so the flight out was full with only us to go back.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:46 PM, NanLaew said:

Took the wrong runway exit as directed by ground control and, as they say, the rest is history

Yes, but why is it there? It's a fair distance from Suvarnabhumi or Uda Pal (sorry forgot the spelling)

On 3/29/2021 at 10:56 AM, NanLaew said:

Here's the very same aircraft (HS-BRA) when it was in operation.

Looks like the got the local galvanized bucket factory to make the engine nacelles for the SCB one.

HS-BRA.jpg.927566d3cd6c1a3e7c9728f6f6aba00a.jpg

Here's a potted history. Hardly "relatively new" at +35 year old but probably had the winglets and engine upgrades during it's life in the US.

359830728_HS-BRAtoo.jpg.68699b917b84d324cd033fd753ac6f29.jpg

Thanks - that explains it. Did not know they could retro fit winglets on old aircraft. The 800 series is not that old and would be retired unless ie serious structural damage 

Edited by skippybangkok

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Yes, but why is it there? It's a fair distance from Suvarnabhumi or Uda Pal (sorry forgot the spelling)

No doubt it is being refurbished to become another coffee shop/restaurant as that seems to be the rage these days. One aircraft on a pedestal at Terminal 21, another being set up as a coffee shop on Beach Rd/#2 road, the numerous bodies set up at Coffee War (331 Station on highway 331) and the DC-3 on the pedestal at the Caltex station on Highway 36 (right across from that big reclining Buddha statue on the northbound side of the highway about 12 kms south of the Highway 36/331 intersection).

And that's just the ones I know about in the local area. No doubt others set up in other places as well.

(And I think you meant U-Tapao airport down in Rayong.) ????

On 3/30/2021 at 6:37 PM, Kerryd said:

No doubt it is being refurbished to become another coffee shop/restaurant as that seems to be the rage these days. One aircraft on a pedestal at Terminal 21, another being set up as a coffee shop on Beach Rd/#2 road, the numerous bodies set up at Coffee War (331 Station on highway 331) and the DC-3 on the pedestal at the Caltex station on Highway 36 (right across from that big reclining Buddha statue on the northbound side of the highway about 12 kms south of the Highway 36/331 intersection).

And that's just the ones I know about in the local area. No doubt others set up in other places as well.

(And I think you meant U-Tapao airport down in Rayong.) ????

Feel lucky to be able to spell Swampyboo.

On 3/29/2021 at 7:49 AM, elgenon said:

Yes, I always wonder how? why? 

needs new engines R R Trent but waiting for new LP 1 LP 2 and LP 3 turbine blades to come from Rolls Royce Derby.....also waiting for some NGV's to come from R R Leicester...........

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

the No 7?

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

The highway number 7 from Pattaya to Bangkok

I believe he is referring to the one on the North side of the #7, just before the new Rayong off ramp.
https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9514517,100.9459775,3a,15y,28.84h,90.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYZDvUF_e-Pio5GtnPcefrQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

a1.png.1e6629835de2434cfe62a9a52a878d6f.png

• Like 2