Thailand road carnage: Nearly half of all bikers don't have a licence - almost two dead PER HOUR

rooster59

30 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

One great thing about Thailand is that its not a nanny state and people have to take their own responsibility.

Lets hope and pray and fight that the western nanny state mentality, the western pc mentality, and the western victim mentality, stay far far away from Thailand.

Let Thailand be Thailand. And feel free to move to Cambodia if you dont like it here.

Well the report is from Dr Chaimaiphan Santikan - former WHO advisor in Asia on injuries and the handicapped and now working on motorcycle safety - was speaking at the Amari Airport Hotel as reported by New TV.

Does she have to move as well?

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

Whilst so ever the Police let schoolgirls ride three up with no helmets, training, insurance, licence etc then you are on a loser.

They need training and practice.  It's a rat race out there.

image.jpeg.ab3855c78e8b14bed145c23d31b30060.jpeg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, doctormann said:

I'm not sure that having a licence makes very much difference when it's the mind-set that is in need of adjustment!

I ride a motorcycle all over Bangkok daily, 9 out of 10 car drivers are on their phones as I ride past them !!!!!!

IMPATIENCE is a chronic plague deeply rooted in the Thai drivers and especially taxi riders, racing to get to the red light and traffic jam ahead, SLOW DOWN.

Gov; your RED BUSES and the trucks are disgusting spewing plumes of black smoke, they are relics! Replace them!

I love you all, but smarten up!

In the Villages you see many underage children on motos. My in law Nephews (2) maybe 9 and 11 years old... ride some of the motos around I’ve questioned why... no safety or maintenance taught.. break get another mentality...

they putt putt out the drive slowly down the road then on the backside as fast as it’ll go..  I see and hear them.. 

anyway it’s frustrating to find a solution..  maybe have a safety class whether they have license or not.. to get them 

on the right track... the blind (no look) turn into traffic drives me nuts.. car going 60 ish and pull out in front of them ...

249 cc Big bike .. as my father R.I.P. would say... horse <deleted>..

Edited by DJ54
Add

Why no just take away the Motorcycle till they come back with a valid license and charge them for every day of storage , put stop light camera and speed cameras everywhere like here in the states and change their locations all the time. Don't pay the ticket lose your right to drive and go to jail. The Police need to do their job for once 

Ah! Ah! il serait temps de se renseigner au bon endroit, le carnage de la route serait plutôt le carnage de l'information

Veuillez vérifier vos informations et chiffres par respect pour la Thaïlande où vous vivez.

http://roadsafety.disaster.go.th/in.roadsafety-1.196/

http://www.thairsc.com/

Analyser la moto janvier 2021

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNzQ4NTdjYzUtYTQ1MC00MDhkLWE1NzktODNkN2U0ZmI2YzRhIiwidCI6Ijg2ZmE5NzhlLTRiZjktNDAzNy1iOTZiLTlkYmRjY2I4ODY3YSIsImMiOjEwfQ%3D%3D&pageName=  ReportSection 

For the registration of vehicles and motorcycles it is here

https://web.dlt.go.th/statistics/

image.png.46213d3d2ef47036991e9903affc04bf.png

image.png.88faf10d13484a5e3f657c6e531e0f5d.png

image.png.b17e1e40c90df5c1f2ca27cd14d226f7.png

image.png

Edited by SPREX

To make a more considered comment you would need to know more as to the circumstances and cause of most of the Deaths - Alcohol related, Collision with cars. Not wearing helmets.

I think Thailand could use dedicated bus/bike lanes separating Bikes from cars/trucks  It does not need to be a physical separation. just road line marking would help

Edited by OffshoreMig

I cringe whenever I see babies and little kids on motorbikes. And the bikes aren't designed to be a family transportation. I've seen an entire family of 5 on a scooter in Vietnam on many occasions. My neighbor takes a very sleepy 6 year old to school on the back seat every morning and I told him to at least tie her to his waste and he started doing so. They should restrict to up to 2 riders with no one under 13 and zero tolerance on non-helmet use, at paved city roads and highways.

15 hours ago, Artisi said:

A licence doesn't fix stupidity. 

True. But they're not all stupid. They ARE all untrained and unregulated, which is what is supposed to be part of getting a license.

Taiwan has a very good system of motocy training and licensing a n d of course enforcement.

But we all know the standards here.

A traffic cop once told me it was OK to ride pillion without a helmet. He was really fazed when I walked instead. Couldn't grasp it.

You really should take this very seriously as it's the young people in your society that are getting killed, I refuse to drive in Thailand since 1981 when a 13 year old girl was speeding down the highway near Thayang Phetchburi and ran into the back of me, the police made me compensate her 2000 Bht. for damage to her bike,she didn't have a license and I was stationary making a turn with my blinkers on. it was so racist and all my objections were brushed aside by the cop who clearly had a thing with 'Farangs'.

19 hours ago, doctormann said:

I'm not sure that having a licence makes very much difference when it's the mind-set that is in need of adjustment!

In most countries to attain your licence you have to undergo many lessons, then when it's deemed you are competent you have tests to prove your ability to ride/drive.

In Thailand it's made as easy as possible, completed in one day.. then paid for with no further questions.

As in the post over 50% don't even bother with a licence.

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

just give a license to anyone who has a motorcycle... problem solved

I know sarcasm. Just like give everyone a gun. A motorbikevis like a loaded gun. You never know when someone might be killed. Training and enforcement are key as well as removal of motorbikes by seizure from those caught a second time without having the proper license showing.  Of course TIT and we know education will never occur as well as enforcement.

20 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Yup. That really sums up the Thai enigma very nicely. They just don't know any better. After copying so much from westerners for decades (centuries?), they still hate foreigners, they still love foreigner's money, and they haven't learned very much at all.

Learning does appear to be a problem for Thais. just look at the STEM and SAT scores... learning just isn't what they do best.

They don't want to know better, they don't need to learn anything.

The Thai system as it is works very nicely... they don't want western values, it's not profitable.

Keep the roadside funds coming in, how are the "force" expected to live on such a small salary?

Why make everyone legal and stop the money coming in... that's crazy!

Don't you understand?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I know sarcasm. Just like give everyone a gun. A motorbikevis like a loaded gun. You never know when someone might be killed. Training and enforcement are key as well as removal of motorbikes by seizure from those caught a second time without having the proper license showing.  Of course TIT and we know education will never occur as well as enforcement.

You know what its like around Rawai, only the other day 3 of them on a motorbike and side car riding around

28 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

You know what its like around Rawai, only the other day 3 of them on a motorbike and side car riding around

Yes, as always unfortunately nothing will change.  Looking at moving back to Rawai from Bangkok where it's worse.

Just where do you start. For example if I am driving a vehicle at night with my wife in the vehicle and we come across a motor bike with no tail light working, I would toot my horn to let them know they have a problem. Their was a time my wife did keep asking why do you do that. I have manage to educate her. RIP 

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

When will the common sense prevail, enforcement begin, those under age stopped from operating a motorbike to drive around the village, go to school, or go out racing with friends?  When will the parents become responsible for the actions of their children and take responsibility in  appropriately.  When will a true training course for getting a motorbike license become mandatory without a brown envelope for the certificate and real training commence prior to obtaining a license and then having a real riding test.  I could go on and on...like when will they stop riding the wrong way and on the sidewalks.  Why not make specified lanes....hahahah, everyone will use them and no one will pay attention.  To me those riding a motorbike without a license, training, insurance, a helmet, proper attire, and only a max of two on a motorbike should not be on the roads and are not only the cause of there potential demise but also cause other people to become injured.  Just like the most recent crash involving two teenagers that ran a red light and hit a older lady driving through a green light.   Enforce the laws RTP and the country may save lives.  My rant is far from over but for this OP it is.  

I am not sure why you would need a brown envelope to pass the test for a motor cycle or a car as it is a farce.

Go to your local DLT office and have a look at them taking the test if you can call it that.

Many  years ago  my Thai wife took her car driving test here while visiting from from Australia.

After observing the circus I told her she would learn to drive in Australia which 

she did.

It involved almost other things well over a 100 hours compulsory on road training some of it with a qualified trainer some at night all of which had to logged.

Even after passing the on road test it was another two years after further annual testing that a full unrestricted licence was issued.

She is a qualified and very competent safe driver.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

They don't want to know better, they don't need to learn anything.

The Thai system as it is works very nicely... they don't want western values, it's not profitable.

Keep the roadside funds coming in, how are the "force" expected to live on such a small salary?

Why make everyone legal and stop the money coming in... that's crazy!

Don't you understand?

Sums up the farce nicely ????