Sea urchins patong beach

Geoffreyt

Stepping on a sea urchin half buried in the sand really hurts.  I did that once when walking around the tide pools, and ended up in the doctors office having each of the spines removed from the bottom of my foot.  Hurt like hell

• Like 1

Just left Phuket the black ones were at just about every beach we went too, but usually not close to the shore.

The girl I was with stepped on one had blood and stingers on 3 places on her foot.  She pulled out the stingers and some Thai came by saw her problem, left for a minute and came back and squeezed lime juice on it.  30 minutes later, she had no pain and no after effects.

43 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Just left Phuket the black ones were at just about every beach we went too, but usually not close to the shore.

The girl I was with stepped on one had blood and stingers on 3 places on her foot.  She pulled out the stingers and some Thai came by saw her problem, left for a minute and came back and squeezed lime juice on it.  30 minutes later, she had no pain and no after effects.

Is that the problem that is mitigated by peeing on it?

I say eat all the urchins or tell the Japanese about them and they will. One man's problem is another man's feast.

33 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I say eat all the urchins or tell the Japanese about them and they will. One man's problem is another man's feast.

Yep. Sushi galore

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

never saw one on kamala beach and i am on the beach daily

Peeing applies to jelly fish an is ONLY a myth 

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

The myth about urine on a sting relates to jellyfish. It can actually make the pain worse. 

Many nationalities regard sea urchins as a delicacy apart from the Japanese - NZ Maoris, Italians and other Mediterranean countries.

I wouldn't eat them because I have a thing about consuming gonads of any creature.

I can also attest to the pain caused by stepping on one and having to remove multiple stings.

Edit: I see the zzzzz beat me to the jellyfish comment.

21 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The myth about urine on a sting relates to jellyfish. It can actually make the pain worse. 

Many nationalities regard sea urchins as a delicacy apart from the Japanese - NZ Maoris, Italians and other Mediterranean countries.

I wouldn't eat them because I have a thing about consuming gonads of any creature.

I can also attest to the pain caused by stepping on one and having to remove multiple stings.

Edit: I see the zzzzz beat me to the jellyfish comment.

Chinese believe eating gonads increase virility. Apparently you are fine in that department.