Pattaya: Beggars and homeless people cleared off the streets after image problem

rooster59

162750090_4071048232916080_142515758936554357_o.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

Sophon Cable TV reported that on Thursday night Sasikamol Liamrak from a homeless persons home run by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security led other officials to the streets of Pattaya.

Their target was homeless people, migrant beggars and those with mental deficiences who had been causing annoyance and damage to property affecting Pattaya's image as a tourist destination. 

Fifteen people were picked up before a sweep of Beach Road, Walking Street, Soi Bua Khao and Sai 2 as checks continued. 

The people were assembled at City Hall. Those with mental problems were taken to Bang Lamung Hospital while the details of the homeless were taken and appropriate help for them was sought. 

Complaints had been received. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-27

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

details of the homeless were taken and appropriate help for them was sought. 

Possibly relocated in local parks and public gardens??

Are public parks being overrun by the homeless in your area? If so, how do  you feel about it? - Quora

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did you read this part?
The people were assembled at City Hall. Those with mental problems were taken to Bang Lamung Hospital while the details of the homeless were taken and appropriate help for them was sought.

What happens in your country? Anything different? Anything at all?

Depends what appropriate help is ? could be a trip in the back of a pickup to another town and as for mental patients I have seen what happens to them here might be why there are so many murders !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tracker1 said:
4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did you read this part?

Expand  

Depends what appropriate help is ? could be a trip in the back of a pickup to another town and as for mental patients I have seen what happens to them here might be why there are so many murders !

Best to leave them on the street, then? 

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did you read this part?

Not if he's a Brit,the home secretary Priti Patel has announced that any homeless on the streets that are not from the UK will be deported.Their mental state was not mentioned.

Watched a video sometime ago of San Francisco.  Beautiful neighborhood of nice garage townhouses.  Well, it was.  The homeless had taken over and were running amok unchecked.  Trash everywhere.  Old used furniture all over the once nice street with dozens living on the street, sidewalks, and private driveways.

In the video a homeowner comes home from work and tries to drive his car into his garage.  Homeless guy in a ratty old chair sitting in the driveway does not want to move.  The driver inches his way in and the homeless guy inches his chair back a little.  Back and forth they do this until finally the homeless guy moves his chair just enough for the driver to squeeze by and get into his garage.  Takes a long time--imagine having to do this every day and every time you leave the house.

He's worked hard and earned enough money to buy a nice home to live in but he's virtually a prisoner stuck inside, with his once nice street now dirty and unsafe and filled with homeless, many drunk or on drugs and some mentally ill.  I'm in the perhaps unpopular camp that thinks that loitering long-term on the streets and invading private property should not be allowed or tolerated.  At least Pattaya is making an attempt to attend to the homeless.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tracker1 said:

I wonder what the ratio of murders is between Thailand and the UK, countries with a similar population.

I may be wrong but I would suspect there are far more in the UK.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I wonder what the ratio of murders is between Thailand and the UK, countries with a similar population.

I may be wrong but I would suspect there are far more in the UK.

Then you might be surprised:

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Thailand/United-Kingdom/Crime

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

When I was in SF, I went to a local supermarket(Safeway). As I was approaching, I saw an apparently homeless person wheeling a trolley out; full of shopping.

Apparently the staff aren't allowed to accost them, especially if the shopping cost is below a certain amount. I was somewhat taken aback. 

Also I think they do it between the change of shifts of security guards.

Same at Walgreens. People would just walk in and help themselves.

Wow.  Totally nuts.  

21 hours ago, itsari said:

Very little happens in my country for the homeless and mentally ill . I congratulate the Thai society for showing compassion 

My country shut down all the mental health institutions and basically made all the patients into homeless beggars to sleep on the streets....and die off in the cold winters.

They sold off all the council housing and so there is no housing available for homeless people.  Now they have to pay extortion ate sums of money to house a few of the most vulnerable in crappy bed and breakfast hotels. It's a mess and a disgrace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

My country shut down all the mental health institutions and basically made all the patients into homeless beggars to sleep on the streets....and die off in the cold winters.

They sold off all the council housing and so there is no housing available for homeless people.  Now they have to pay extortion ate sums of money to house a few of the most vulnerable in crappy bed and breakfast hotels. It's a mess and a disgrace.

Thatcherism 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It's just creating the appearance of showing compassion and a photo op.  The reality is very different. 

What is the reality ? I can only consider reality what I see . I do not have to step over homeless people in the streets unlike many cities in the world . That is reality . 

On 3/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, tracker1 said:

Starting to sound a bit like South America next will be the extermination of youths ! A third world country cleaning up it's homeless poor and sick for the influx of quality tourists ! despicable to say the least !!!!

Australia deported a 15 year old back to New Zealand just the other day .

19 minutes ago, itsari said:

Thatcherism 

Just for a moment consider that all the council houses still belong to the council.

How many homeless people would be put into council houses.

None, because they will all be full with council tenants.

So sold off or still with the council there will be few vacancies because when the tenants die off their families take over.

Here is an interesting read for you.

https://www.bigissue.com/latest/how-many-empty-homes-are-there-in-the-uk/#:~:text=According to the most recent,“long term” empty properties.

term empty properties across the country
How many houses are empty in the UK? The Big Issue investigates. Image credit: Estate Agent Networking / PixabayFebruary 16, 2021
By Josh Sandiford@joshsandiford_
Campaigners are calling for government action on rising numbers of long-term empty properties across the country as part of Empty Homes Week. 

Spearheaded by Action on Empty Homes, a charity that raises awareness about the “waste” of unused properties, campaigners hope to pressure ministers to work with local councils and tackle the issue. 

It says the hundreds of thousands of homes sitting empty on Britain’s streets could be repurposed and used to house the vulnerable.

More than 120 local authorities are taking part and hope to receive more powers from central Government to house people who need help. But it isn’t simple, and there are many things to take into account. Here’s what you need to know. 

Lockdowns have taken income away from hundreds of Big Issue sellers. Support The Big Issue and our vendors by signing up for a subscription.

How many empty homes are there in the UK? 

According to the most recent Government figures released in November 2020, 268,385 homes in England had been empty for at least six months. These are what Action on Empty Homes refers to as “long term” empty properties. 

These figures represented a 19 per cent increase in abandoned properties, with an additional 42,600 added since 2019. 

While the rise could be down to Covid-19 lockdowns, the number has increased four years in a row.