Thailand aims to become Asia-Pacifc hub for the space industry

rooster59

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“Thailand will be the fifth nation in Asia that will be able to build a spacecraft and send it to orbit the moon,”  Dr Anek said. 

had a bad week and needed a good laugh, thank you Dr. Anek   ????????????????????

• Haha 2

Very clearly lost in space. A country which cannot manage its own space...cannot run a profitable airline...everyone living in poverty and thinks they need to invest in space. The Comedy Country. Don't need to go to Stand Up Comedy or watch Comedy Shows on TV anymore...just read Thai Government Articles on Thai Visa. Ho hum.

• Like 2

How I love the negative emoticons my previous post on page 3 of this article receives!!! ???? 

I guess it’s not so funny when someone does it to you, now is it?! ????

Do enlighten me, though, what exactly is it that keeps you in Thailand when it’s all so bad that you feel the need to mock and bash everything that goes on in Thailand so badly at any chance that presents itself?

Every country has its downsides, including the country you’re from! For some reason all the mockers and bashers still feel the need to retire in Thailand and NOT in their own countries, but for some reason I never hear about the positives, so what exactly are you doing in Thailand then? How about showing some gratitude that they actually allow you to spend the rest of your lives there? How about telling me what exactly made you leave your own oh-so-picture perfect country in favor of Thailand? 

Edited by pacovl46

2 minutes ago, bangsaenguy said:

What a relief. I have not read a "why don't you go back where you came from" post all day. So original. 

What a relief. I have not read a “oh how pathetic and sad is Thailand and everything they do” post all day. So original! 

First, it would be appropriate to discuss the extent of the achievements that Thailand has had, in regard to the "space industry". Then, we can move onto the quality control issues, the traffic issues, the lack of high speed transportation options on the ground, the air quality, the ridiculously punitive customs duties, and the harrowing degree of protectionism here. Then there are the basic essentials, like having enough qualified rocket scientists, proficient english speakers, a stable and competent government, etc. 

I "aim" to earn $100,000 a month for the rest of my life. I aim to learn fluent Thai by the end of this year. I aim to live to be 100, and not suffer a single illness, between now and then. I aim for this administration to be dismantled by the youth.

Does "aiming" make it so? Since when is aiming for something, with absolutely nothing behind it, a worthy thing to do?

• Like 1

Why would nations consider Thailand attractive, for this purpose? As far as industry goes, will Japan continue to invest here? Who knows? Will Chinese investment pick up? Probably. Will that be a good thing? Probably not. It appears that Japan is averse to what they see as the increasing influence of China here. That is a big issue for them. Also, the US-China Trade war, periodic flooding, with no solutions in sight, and the baht appreciation are issues. Many Japanese companies are exiting China. This is an opportunity for Thailand. But, the extreme incompetence here seems to be inhibiting the ability to move the nation forward. 

The fact is Thailand could be doing a dozen different things to make itself more attractive to both tourism and investment. But, all the things it could do, to make itself a better version of it's current self, would require sacrifice and vision. Not something this army led govt. is capable of. Major tax breaks, drastic lowering of luxury and wine taxes, allowing ownership of land and homes by foreigners, relaxation of inane visa laws, ridding the administration of xenophobic ministers, beginning a program of hiring based on merit, improving traffic safety, paying attention to the air and the environment. The list goes on and on and on. Will any of this happen? One can hope. But, it is unlikely as this administration is one of the least progressive on planet earth. They love projections, prognosticactions, declarations and platitudes. But when it comes to the nuts and bolts, and practical improvements, they are absolutely lost in space. Oh wait, they want to participate in space? They are participating already. More crazy and fake news. He says He added that Thailand is ready on all aspects, especially logistics infrastructure, in order to achieve this goal. Huh? Where is the high speed rail for cargo? Any company manufacturing here, that is interested in domestic sales and distribution, is limited to distribution by trucks up to 40 years old, on overly clogged highways. What infrastructure is he referring to?

Instead, some are moving to Vietnam, India and other countries. 

Combine that with a bloated baht, overly zealous mountains of red tape, poor english skills, challenging visa policy, limited ownership rules, and an administration that is both despised and hugely incompetent, and I do not think this is anything more than another one of the silly and fleeting dreams of the TCOU crowd (Thailand is the center of the universe).

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, the plans were met with fierce criticism from the Thai public who said the government should be focussing its efforts on pressing matters, such as the economic recovery post COVID-19.

Subs, space travel, or Thais and the Thai economy?  Easy to see the priorities.

Yes, we heard this before but now I'm wondering why. Such great expenditure goes against the grain on which this country is motivated...not to mention the PM's words about advising less academia and more culture, not so long ago. Thailand could become a launch site, I suppose, flatten Pattaya perhaps or an island, which I would guess that certain powers in the region would find useful. To run such a venture they'd need a higher level of of education than they have now. No, I recon it would be almost totally run by 'non-Thais'...I wonder who they would be?

Difficult to believe given Australia's Cape York was the most appropriate for launching some 25 years ago.

Government here was considering the proposal but obviously not seriously enough at the time.

So now-a-days it's back to Woomera.

I remember it being a real shame at the time as I had the contacts to get me in there at the start.

Too bloody old now and too much to do in my workshop anyhow. ????????

Submarines and space. Moving the nation forward. Who dreams up this stuff?

Is this simply an excuse to avoid a discussing about effective ways to deal with what is currently plaguing the nation?

And I am barely referring to Covid, and the dire need for an effective vaccination program to have happened yesterday. 

I guess space cadets love to dream about space. 

Edited by spidermike007

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

What is it with Thailand wanting to be the "hub" of so many things? 

Haaaa...So true.....I fullwell remember..POKEMON!!...Now that was something that was going to boost the economy like never before....

Pokey...WHO...????