Honda CT125, a testing ride around Issan and the north of Thailand.

Close to 50 years ago, I owned a CT90, one great little machine. It had a 2 stage transmission - 4 low gears and 4 "high" gears. When in low, it could crawl out of just about anything!

It also had a spare gas can. If I was to push it and run out of gas, I could detach the can and add more fuel. 

I wonder if you could change sprockets to increase top speed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Close to 50 years ago, I owned a CT90, one great little machine. It had a 2 stage transmission - 4 low gears and 4 "high" gears. When in low, it could crawl out of just about anything!

It also had a spare gas can. If I was to push it and run out of gas, I could detach the can and add more fuel. 

I wonder if you could change sprockets to increase top speed. 

I would actually change to sprocket, for a lower gear if riding off road in the mountains.

But then it would take ages to get to the mountains!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this Chris, awesome photos as always.

A few questions, well you already answered one regarding why such a small bike for the very long trip; it can go anywhere where bigger bikes can't, understand low weight is king when doing serious off-roading.

I think you had a BMW GS1200 at some stage? I could imagine it will be way to big and heavy for such an undertaking. Assume the GS is sold?

How do you plan the routes you are going? I can understand you use Goggle maps but are you using a particular app?

Which camera are you using?

Thanks again for posting, I really enjoyed reading though it.

• Like 2

Wow,!  Such a great trip and wonderful photos.  Thanks for posting.  I saw a youtube video where 'Worro' upgraded the suspension on his CT and lowered the gearing for off-road use.

I'm also a Fuji shooter as I don't want to mess with raw editing.  Also have a CRF 250 and was planning some similar (but shorter!) trips, but now thinking a CT 125 may be better.  Just change the tyres I think.  Bit disappointing the tool box bracket broke, but I guess it's not surprising something snapped.

Have you tried the CT two-up for normal 7-11 type trips?  I think you can get a rear seat and pegs?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Wow,!  Such a great trip and wonderful photos.  Thanks for posting.  I saw a youtube video where 'Worro' upgraded the suspension on his CT and lowered the gearing for off-road use.

I'm also a Fuji shooter as I don't want to mess with raw editing.  Also have a CRF 250 and was planning some similar (but shorter!) trips, but now thinking a CT 125 may be better.  Just change the tyres I think.  Bit disappointing the tool box bracket broke, but I guess it's not surprising something snapped.

Have you tried the CT two-up for normal 7-11 type trips?  I think you can get a rear seat and pegs?

Thanks.

I was planning to change the tyres, but my local shop never ordered them and i took a chance the rains would not arrive, they did not except in Buriram.

The tool box really needed the extra brace, now is it fine. and at least i always have a spare tube and some tools. But seeing how difficult the guy repairing my puncture made it look (removing the rear wheel and sprocket etc) i will always try and find someone to help.

I am just terrible off road, a CRF is the better bike for off road riding, but for me the CT was great and suited me, i was in no hurry, just relaxing.

No, this bike is for me alone, but yes you can but the foot pegs and rear seat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

I would actually change to sprocket, for a lower gear if riding off road in the mountains.

But then it would take ages to get to the mountains!

That's what made the 2 stage tranny of my CT great. The low range was ridiculously low. In 4th, a person could practically walk faster!

• Like 2

Thanks for this great report, and what an epic trip, you should send it to Honda, I'm sure they can use it for their CT 125 marketing and give you some royalty...!

It seems your Shad box disappeared in later photos, what happened...!?

I saw you reached 112kph in one of your Relive sections, quite fast, must have been going downhill, or you weigh 45kg...!????

Last question, doesn't that exhaust pipe going up under the right thigh start feeling hot and burning it sometime...!!!? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

Thanks.

I was planning to change the tyres, but my local shop never ordered them and i took a chance the rains would not arrive, they did not except in Buriram.

The tool box really needed the extra brace, now is it fine. and at least i always have a spare tube and some tools. But seeing how difficult the guy repairing my puncture made it look (removing the rear wheel and sprocket etc) i will always try and find someone to help.

I am just terrible off road, a CRF is the better bike for off road riding, but for me the CT was great and suited me, i was in no hurry, just relaxing.

No, this bike is for me alone, but yes you can but the foot pegs and rear seat.

Thanks for the answers.

It's very impressive that you did over 650km's in one day on the little CT125, long hours in the saddle.

The CT125 is way too small for me, I am thinking getting a Yamaha Tenere700 but are well aware that it can't go places you can on smaller bikes like the CT125 & CRF250/300, it's all about keeping the weight down. Not a very good off-roader myself either, haven't done it for ages.

I am also a Fuji shooter: XPro1 & X100T. The XPro1 sometimes produces JPEG's that makes angles sing but auto focus is a hit or miss.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 2

Chris I just wanted to add my congratulation for an epic trip. The KM's and elevation covered were impressive to say the least. Your incredible photos and down to earth texts are so very enjoyable . Thanks again for taking us  vicarious adventurers along with you.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Randell said:

Chris I just wanted to add my congratulation for an epic trip. The KM's and elevation covered were impressive to say the least. Your incredible photos and down to earth texts are so very enjoyable . Thanks again for taking us  vicarious adventurers along with you.

Cheers Randell, it was a great trip and many more to come too i hope.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rsteeltje said:

Chris, I'm bloody jealous. What an epic tour. I could not do it. Not that I do not have the time but I lack the balls. Hat off.

R'tje

Thanks ????

I not some great off road rider, in fact the opposite, so i plod along slowly taking in the views and enjoy a cold beer after ????

• Like 2