Deaf person-friendly taxi service in Chiangmai

misterfloppy

Clearly, a deaf person cannot use a phone, nor hear a horn or doorbell. It all has to be done online.
Is there such a service set up in Chiangmai?
It would help very much if the driver could help with a wheelchair and walker, since one, perhaps both, would be needed to ensure the lady's mobility and independence around the city, and perhaps to or from Lamphun.
Thanks

45 minutes ago, Poet said:

Civility broken?

Before getting snarky with another forum member for asking a question, rather than googling for something they had no idea existed, you might want to double-check to make sure the article you're linking to doesn't actually mention that the service only operates in Bangkok, 350 miles from Lamphun.

Read what I posted -

Mae Rim is not in BKK

• Like 1

Yes but a deaf person can use a phone and feel the vibration for when a ride is going to pick them up. Wheel chair not electric and folding is no problem. Ya k now, if you go down Loy Kroh, right at the Meridian Hotel but parked on the street are a bunch of English speaking Thai with their own vehicles who would love to have this job. Why don't you go talk to some of them. They are yearning/screaming to have some work, and everybody knows them so a rip off is unlikely.

22 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Read what I posted -

Mae Rim is not in BKK

1. You added that second link, mentioning a Mae Rim service, after I replied. Pathetic.

2. Mae Rim is 40 miles from Lamphun.

Like already mentioned Grab, not taxi.  Tip in cash.

Done via smart phone where addresses can be entered and fees paid online.  Travel can be monitored by map. Removes 'most' of the shadyness of taxi drivers.

Is this lady elderly?  My only worry is that she doesn't know how to use apps.

Bolt is now available in Chiang Mai.  They may not have all the bells and whistles that Grab does but should be able to do what is required for a much lower cost.

They also have at least a couple of deaf drivers, although I don't know if that would make things better or worse in this case.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:54 PM, canthai55 said:

Not everyone is adept or experienced at Googling believe or not. There are people to whom it is still foreign and uncomfortable. Sometimes the info is not accurate. Patience and understanding are good things. You show you are willing to help. You are a good person.

I am experienced but I still like hear people's personal experiences and personal tips. They might be more informative than even mighty Mr. Google.

There actually is a deaf person working through Grab that uses Thai sign language, not the same as American sign language, though. But he and I have been communicating for over a decade now with neither! His name is Mik...not sure how you would go about requesting that through Grab, though. I shared this with him through farsebook, so he will know. If he has insider info as how to do that, I will post it here.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:09 PM, MisterTee said:

From your description it sounds like more than just a taxi driver is needed.

A caregiver who will also make arrangements for transportation would be a good idea.

Good post.

First in with the best advice.

Expecting a cab driver to deal with a person who has serious disabilities is a good example of the scroogelike behaviour so often seen among farangs here.

Is it any wonder why so many Thais dislike us?

A sensible alternative would be something special like Grab Assist... just make sure the customer isn't a young hottie or the service might not go beyond the first two syllables of the job description.

• Haha 1