warfarin/coumadin/orfarin

rodknock

went to pharmacy on soi.77 where i have bought orfarin for the past 10years.

was told have to have prescription now!

went to south east pharmacy and was told need to get from hospital!

what is the problem, it is not a narcotic and i have never heard about kids dying from waking warfarin!

does any one know what is going on?

this is a LIFE saving drug, that have to take daily

I can still get it at a pharmacy in chiang mai with no prescription so its like with many things in Thailand ,you have to shop around, because they are always moving the goal posts many times for no apparent reason.

According to MIMS no prescription required, as Sheryl said already.

Looks like this drug is produced by multiple Thai manufacturers, just call one of them and ask them, then you have the information from the horse's mouth.

where can i find information of Thai. manufactures of warfarin?

i have only used warafin from one importer(harn thai importer) for 10years from 2different pharmacy's.

the pharmacy on soi. 77 and south east are large pharmacy's and i get the same answer from each of them.

how and where can i get a correct answer to this issue?

45 minutes ago, rodknock said:

i have only used warafin from one importer(harn thai importer) for 10years from 2different pharmacy's.

the pharmacy on soi. 77 and south east are large pharmacy's and i get the same answer from each of them.

Try one of the GPO pharmacy outlets.

10 hours ago, rodknock said:

1. Brand name Maforan  =  manufacturer is Sriprasit and Distributor is

SPS MEDICAL CO LTD

Mailing Address
617 Charoenrath Rd, Klongsan   Bangkok  10600 
Contact Information
Tel: (+66) 2437 0343 -5, (+66) 2862 0180 -2
Fax: (+66) 2438 8060

2. Brand name  Morfarin = manufacturer/distributor is

CHAROON BHESAJ LTD

Mailing Address
776/2-4 Ratchadapisek Rd.,
Daokanong, Thonburi,   Bangkok  10600 
Contact Information
Tel: (+66) 2477 3000
Fax: (+66) 2477 3001

3. Brand name Orfarin = manufacturer is Orion Distributor is
HARN THAI PHARMA (2508) CO LTD
Mailing Address
2121 New Petchburi Rd
Bangkapi, Huaykwang District   Bangkok  10310 
Contact Information
Tel: (+66) 2718 0700 -2
Fax: (+66) 2319 8082

As previously noted I can find no indication that its classification has changed. Before trying to contact distributors (which will be a bot of a hassle and need a Thau speaker) I suggest you try a different pharmacy.

you might also try n email to :[email protected] 
and Line message to  YAPAIBOON

these are both services that will mail medications to you. If these two also say it is now prescription only that would lend credence to the idea. (In the case of bangkokdrugstore don't go by the products shown on the site, as they have much more than that. Email and ask.)

• Thanks 1

south east pharmacy definitely confirmed that they can no longer dispense warfarin even if you have a prescription.

asked old pharmacist what the reason was.

government had changed the regulations.

for what ever reason!!! nofurthur explanation.

• 1 month later...

No. And it continues ti be listed as "category D" which means it can be sold by pharmacies.

Category D medications require that a  first grade pharmacist be ob duty at all times and that written records of sales be maintained. . These requirements are  largely ignored but from time to time it is selectively enforced for certain drugs only.  When this happens, many pharmacies respond by no longer carrying that drug, either because they do nto have a real pharmacist always on duty or just don't want the hassle. However  better staffed pharmacies usually continue.

Have you tried Fascino? YaPaiboon? Calling the distributor?

• Like 1

There is a Pharmacy and the second floor above Big C on Ekammai.

First hand information: I have found them extremely reliable in obtaining medication that is difficult to find elsewhere. 

i.e. Xarelto (Rivoroxaban - blood thinning / anti-thombosis medication). 

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 13.01.23.png

One of the Fascino stores in Pattaya said that orfarin was not kept in stock, would need to be ordered. Sorry, my partner didn't ask about the price. Main problem is that his dosage needs slight tweaking every three months. It's not feasible to advance order a quantity of assorted 3mg, 5mg, etc. 

What is or should be the retail pharmacy price?

It is possible that the change in warfarin-related rules might be related to the vaccination campaign.

People take warfarin for a wide variety of reasons, and for each patient there is a target INR range. For some the goal is 2.0 to 3.0, for others it may be <2.0 or >3.0.

It looks to me like Public Health is rejecting vaccine requests from anyone taking warfarin until that person has been evaluated by a hematologist. This is due to the fact that in some cases it may be prudent to lower the dosage, wait several weeks and test INR again to verify, then vaccinate. I'm not sure what happens between then and the booster shot. At some point, the patient's dosage and target will be returned to the previous normal.