How important in a good pre-amp?

jaffacakes1

My Linn Kolektor pre amp has suddenly died. I am using it in conjunction with my Linn Power Amp and B&W Nautilus speakers. Primarily for TV.

Replacing the pre-amp is going to be too expensive and I cannot find an audio repair shop in Phuket so have decided to purchase a different pre amp so I can enjoy TV audio and general digital music.

My question is this. The set up I have is great , but now lacking a pre-amp. Is there a difference in quality between pre-amps beyond functionality.I cannot see how one pre amp is better than another from an audioplhile perspective as having lifted the lid it is simply some small circuit boards routing the inputs.

Given this is primarily to be used for TV I figured the option to include a sub woofer might be handy.

Do pre -amps differ in quality so substantially? Does anyone have a recommendation for a pre-amp with around 3 inputs ? 

Thanks in advance

Chris 

Lets start that I am not an expert but I know the basics.

If you want expert advice I suggest you visit ASR https://www.audiosciencereview.com/ There are lots of experts and not just people who think they have golden ears.

Any device like a CD-Player or a TV has outputs which can't be used to power speakers. They have often RCA connectors. 

A power amplifier uses a small input signal (maybe less than 1V, maybe from a CD player) and amplifies that a lot so that you can supply speakers with many watts of power. Many power amplifiers have nothing to adjust. Just an on/off switch and maybe a volume control.

If you use only one source device like i.e. a CD-player then you don't absolutely need a pre-amp. You can connect the device directly to the power amp and it will work. Just make sure you can adjust the volume at least on one device.

A pre-amplifier allows you to connect more than one device to a power amp. On the pre-amp you can select which input is selected (i.e. CD, TV, etc.). A pre amp has volume control, maybe balance, maybe bass and treble control, and many other possible adjustments.

If you want good quality sound then the pre-amp is important. It has to have the "correct" input and output impedances and it should be designed to make sure you hear what you want to hear and not lots of extra noise. A bad pre amp will add noise, maybe a bad volume control (left and right not consistent) and other problems.

Maybe you also want a remote control for your pre amp.

As usual with audio equipment there are huge price differences. I suggest look first what speakers you have and at your power amp. If they are high quality then buy a high quality pre-amp. If the speakers are not good then a cheap pre amp will probably not make them much worse. I am sure the guys in the ASR forum will be able to suggest the right pre-amp for you.

For a hi-fi system playing well recorded music a good pre-amp is massively important.  To hear quality differences this is the order of components which should demand the most attention:

speakers then pre-amp then source then power amp then cables.

However, you are using your system from a TV signal which kind of makes 80% of that system's potential redundant.  You can't improve the source with a top end pre amp or set of speakers.  If you play some hi-res files/stream/play concerts from DVD then ok it's justified.

That's just my opinion.

But to answer your question, if you want to maintain the quality of your system with no weak links then yes get a new pre amp.  A valve pre-amp is a good best to add a touch of warmth and naturalness to a solid state amp (if you like easy listening, vocals, jazz).  If not, how about another Linn?  I'm a member of several Thai second hand sites and I'm always looking out for stuff for my own system, so I can look out for some pre-amps for you too if you wish.

I would recommend Audio Research (second hand) but it's big and has retro classic looks...completely different from your Linn, but I'm confident it would be better.

• Haha 1