Are motorcycles getting uglier? (BKK Motor show 2021)

alx123

Just now, papa al said:

Dunno; except for the improve headlight and exhaust guard, decals,

they look like twins.

It's subjective, I know, but the smaller headlight looks out of place in my opinion. 

Why the smaller lens too? Not for me..????

Pressed steel car exhaust?

Exhaust guard to hide cheap and ugly front pipes? ( i suppose they do go rusty quite quickly but...)

No thank you.

Modern scooters are even uglier.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2021 at 11:56 PM, Kwasaki said:

...I would like to have the 2021 Honda Fireblade SP but the first alteration I'd do to it is get a twin pipe underseat configuration fitted.   

Why not treat yourself and get a 2016 RC213V-S?   Only about $184,000. (plus a bit more for the performance kit)?

https://www.cycleworld.com/resizer/9d-6PLExKlEKdFURv7ZtXK83qu4=/690x460/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-bonnier.s3.amazonaws.com/public/HV6DSGS2TRANJL62HGRYX6DJ2Y.jpg

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:
37 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Why not treat yourself and get a 2016 RC213V-S?   Only about $184,000. (plus a bit more for the performance kit)?

https://www.cycleworld.com/resizer/9d-6PLExKlEKdFURv7ZtXK83qu4=/690x460/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-bonnier.s3.amazonaws.com/public/HV6DSGS2TRANJL62HGRYX6DJ2Y.jpg

I cannot afford it now and only dream of owning a 2021 Fireblade, I'm happy enough with my 1993 CBR900RR in Thailand. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

Manufacturers come up with some clean concept bikes, then make horrible looking production bikes.  Too much styling <deleted> on them. 

Check this out.  Honda CB 125X concept.  Clean.  Yeah, no signals or mirrors but the lines are good.  7-11 adventure bike if it had a beer basket. 

https://www.advpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Honda-CB125X-concept-adventure-motorcycle-8-768x512.jpg

Someone else came up with a rendition of what a Suzuki DRZ 450 could look like.

image.png.29d1270f3ddf0d7f2714c50f5bdf0261.png

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 2

Some people like what you don't, I don't see what is wrong with that, it don't bother me.

Many buy a bike and change the front the back the sides whatever etc etc from OME I know I always have.

As I've said before the ugly exhaust is the first to go for me on many bikes I've had,  I think the only one I've like and kept was on my Versys 650.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 3:03 AM, Damrongsak said:

Manufacturers come up with some clean concept bikes, then make horrible looking production bikes.  Too much styling <deleted> on them. 

Check this out.  Honda CB 125X concept.  Clean.  Yeah, no signals or mirrors but the lines are good.  7-11 adventure bike if it had a beer basket. 

https://www.advpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Honda-CB125X-concept-adventure-motorcycle-8-768x512.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder . I think they are fugly .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

I had a Gold Star silencer on my Norton a few years ago ( 1967 ) it looked good but never had the same sound as a BSA GS.  Getting ready for the TT races IOM.

IMGP1789.JPG

Great place to go IOM had a Triumph sold it standard and got CB750 kept that standard. 

Later went to IOM and again 2 years later with my 92 fireblade to ride mad Sunday I broke the lap record set by the super cub. ????

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Great place to go IOM had a Triumph sold it standard and got CB750 kept that standard. 

Later went to IOM and again 2 years later with my 92 fireblade to ride mad Sunday I broke the lap record set by the super cub. ????

I went round the cicuit about 30 mins. before the Senior started , I reckon on my 

Norton I averaged 32 mph. Them was the days. Pity Agosteen's chain broke , my didn't.

• Like 1

I don't really think they are getting uglier. The latest updates to the MT range are particularly bad, but they are the exception to the rule IMO. I have the 2017 MT09 which is no work of art but it's positively beautiful compared to these new 2021 models. Not sure what Yamaha was thinking there.

Elsewhere we have some great looking bikes. The Aprilia RS660 is a good example, a beautiful bike which I'd love to buy if it was available here in Thailand, the MV Superveloce, the new Speed Triple etc. Plus all the retro models for those who are into that kind of thing. Some lovely bikes out there.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:56 AM, Kwasaki said:

The beauty of a bike is in the eye of the beholder,

There categories of bikes some I like some I don't.

I have always like supersport bikes.

I would like to have the 2021 Honda Fireblade SP but the first alteration I'd do to it is get a twin pipe underseat configuration fitted.   

To me it is more practical reasons and for what my purpose is with the bike, as economical buying, service, location of service, etc before I look at how it looks. All my bikes looks quite traditional for its purpose and nothing special. 

Honda will for a long time be my favorite bikes due to their service line throughout Thailand. 

However if I lived back home, I wouldnt matter which brand I choosed, and could have looked more in to design and beauty, if a practical bike can be called beautiful? 

However I tend to think the old classic ones looks good, but in these days are useless for anything else than just look good ????

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

To me it is more practical reasons and for what my purpose is with the bike, as economical buying, service, location of service, etc before I look at how it looks. All my bikes looks quite traditional for its purpose and nothing special. 

Honda will for a long time be my favorite bikes due to their service line throughout Thailand. 

However if I lived back home, I wouldnt matter which brand I choosed, and could have looked more in to design and beauty, if a practical bike can be called beautiful? 

However I tend to think the old classic ones looks good, but in these days are useless for anything else than just look good ????

After having ridden different UK makes of bikes borrowed, owed from 1959 up to 1969 a breath of fresh air came and I owned a CB750 the first superbike I have been a Honda fan ever since.

That said I then when on to ride all four main Japanese bikes but still ended up with my 1992 Fireblade which was suppose to be called "Lightning" I like Fireblade better.

As for classic bikes the 92/93 Fireblades became classic bikes within 12 years.

Mine 1993 in Thailand is not as pretty as my UK 92 one but still good to look and certainly not useless being able to do  1/4 mile in 10.4 secs ( 400 kilometers ).

My 92 blade.

1131972003_Blade92..jpg.f7aa46276df6eaaaa1a38437915fa416.jpg

My 93 blade previous owner put a 95 front fairing but I liked the twin light set up like 92 one because it looks like a RC45.

1J.jpg.4f096f1c22a1d6ab691d5e88a0db441d.jpg

• Like 1

@Kwasaki

Eccuse my retoric, but an early 1990 model, do not have the same driving performance as the newer ones. But still good to been taken out for a sunday ride. Of course all dependes on your driving style, and what kind of driver you are, right?

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 3:03 AM, Damrongsak said:

Where does the spare tire sit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Nurburgring Lap Record - 2012 - YZF-R1 - 7:10 flat

Just a slow, outdated performance bike.

Doubt it will ever be broken

Good bikes R1's rode one when they first came out 1998 I  think took over the name "widowmaker" from the Fireblade. 

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Good bikes R1's rode one when they first came out 1998 I  think took over the name "widowmaker" from the Fireblade. 

Was that bike a mass produced bike, or fabric drivers only?