Man dies after motorbike crashes on wet Kathu-Koh Kaew Rd

webfact

1616987619_1-org.jpg

Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 39-year-old Myanmar man died after the motorbike he was riding crashed into a concrete roadside drain and struck a power pole along the Kathu-Koh Kaew Rd yesterday evening (Mar 28).

Police were called to the scene, just north of the Tin Mining Museum, at about 6pm, reported Lt Adisorn Juhong of the Kathu Police.

Police and rescue workers from the Thung Tong branch of the Kusoldharm Foundation arrived to find the body of the Myanmar man in the concrete drain.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/man-dies-after-motorbike-crashes-on-wet-kathu-koh-kaew-rd-79494.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-03-29

I thought I read there are TWO deaths per hour because of motorbike crashes.  I'm just curious why this article.......but I have an idea.  

to all falangs who haven't died yet on their bike.......sell your bike now!!!

i saved your life

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I thought I read there are TWO deaths per hour because of motorbike crashes.  I'm just curious why this article.......but I have an idea.  

i saved your life

They need to take Driver / Rider Awareness courses among many other things

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

Couldn't agree more......why take the risk?

I give 10 baht every day to a guy who sits at the end of our soi.........sits on a blanket, no legs.........after a few months I asked him what had happened......he smiled and just said "motorbike".

Edited by Surelynot
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, tboxcar said:

Motorcycles are inherently dangerous, but when the majority drive without helmets and proper safety gear, and no license or formal training on a motor vehicle and drive a modified bike which can attain speeds far higher that it was designed for, all of this adds up to carnage.

Thai drivers are inherently dangerous....

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, Andy from Kent said:

I doubt your advice   to sell their bike will be taken by  many but  perhaps some will listen to a heeding to drive cautiously and defensively.     It's not only death that awaits those who throw caution to the wind but there's also the  matter of maiming and losing of a limb to consider.

Of course you should drive with caution however unfortunately it's often it's the other drivers fault. 

On 3/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, Asquith Production said:

You are right. Where is the official training? How can you let someone in or on a vehicle without professional training. Its totally mad.

The last official training area  i know of was  next to Mabrachan Lake, a piece of disused Tarmac with White lines,  but "professional' training is something else,  something that does'nt exist in Thailand

On 3/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, Andy from Kent said:

I doubt your advice   to sell their bike will be taken by  many but  perhaps some will listen to a heeding to drive cautiously and defensively.     It's not only death that awaits those who throw caution to the wind but there's also the  matter of maiming and losing of a limb to consider.

As well as proper vehicle maintenance.  Tires going bald, under pressured, and then grabbing to much brake.  Besides the maintenance training on riding in different conditions is a must for many that have never truly encountered poor roadways or slick roadways aftera first rain that has the road oils lifted up on top.  Either ride in the right or left wheel path but never directly down the center of the lane.

11 minutes ago, actonion said:

The last official training area  i know of was  next to Mabrachan Lake, a piece of disused Tarmac with White lines,  but "professional' training is something else,  something that does'nt exist in Thailand

That is not correct at all. There are many riding/driving schools throughout the country. My wife attended one in Udon Thani in order to obtain her motorcycle and car licenses and I rode past one in Sakon Nakhon just a couple of days ago.

Their attendance is not compulsory of course, more's the pity. If it were made so, demand would quickly generate and expand the facilities. It is certainly needed.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:54 AM, actonion said:
On 3/29/2021 at 10:43 AM, Ventenio said:

i saved your life

To Ventenio above, what a silly suggestion and to Actonion, I've been riding motorcycles since the 1960s and I've never had a days riding lesson in my life!

Back in the day we got ourselves a provisional (learner's) license, stuck some 'L' plates on our bikes and off we went to learn. IMO safe riding is 10% studying the highway code (or similar) and 90% common sense and awareness.

Edited by Moonlover

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

To Ventenio above, what a silly suggestion and to Actonion, I've been riding motorcycles since the 1960s and I've never had a days riding lesson in my life!

Back in the day we got ourselves a provisional (learner's) license, stuck some 'L' plates on our bikes and off we went to learn. IMO safe riding is 10% studying the highway code (or similar) and 90% common sense and awareness.

I was refering to Thai people  who ride /drive any kind of vehicle  on a publich highway

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That is not correct at all. There are many riding/driving schools throughout the country. My wife attended one in Udon Thani in order to obtain her motorcycle and car licenses and I rode past one in Sakon Nakhon just a couple of days ago.

Their attendance is not compulsory of course, more's the pity. If it were made so, demand would quickly generate and expand the facilities. It is certainly needed.

I agree there are many driving schools here  in Patttaya too, but i would question  the experience of any Thai driving instructor,  i   know of several people that have attended driving schools here,  but they still drive like the majority,  ... careless, , dangerous, me first attitude.......none of those were ever shown  a highway code book to read, my wife thinks they paint  lines on the road to make the roads look pretty ,.....,,

21 minutes ago, actonion said:

I was refering to Thai people  who ride /drive any kind of vehicle  on a publich highway

Yes, of course you were and I agree with you. One reason that I was able go off and ride a motorcycle without any lessons was because I had already studied the highway code in my school days.

In the UK they had what was known as the 'Cycling Proficiency Test' (now the National Standards for Cycle Trainingand that's where us kids learned roadcraft and the 'rules of the road'. So we where already preprogrammed to take to the roads safely.

Young kids in this country get none of that, they just observe what everyone else does and copies them. If this country ever wants to create safe drivers and riders, they simply have to catch them young. It has to start in the schools.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, Asquith Production said:

You are right. Where is the official training? How can you let someone in or on a vehicle without professional training. Its totally mad.

For training to be effective, the student has to listen and then put into practice what they have learned.

Here lies the root problem............

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

For training to be effective, the student has to listen and then put into practice what they have learned.

Here lies the root problem............

I appreciate what you are saying but you have to start somewhere. A person should be made to have a days  instruction before they can apply for their license and go out on public roads. If they dont pass the day course they dont get some sort of certificate to move onto a full license. So its in there interest to listen. Doing nothing is not really an option although I believe even to get any structured training in place would be like King Canute trying to stop the sea.