Thai tourism industry to focus on safety, cleanliness, sustainability and not taking advantage of tourists

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

"and not taking advantage of tourists."

The very fact they are aware of this as a problem speaks volumes! And once tourism gets back up to speed will taking advantage of tourists be approved again?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Oh come on Pipat! Where's the sport in that? It's been tourisms duty for decades, ripping off tourists! I'll bet old habits die hard! Don't try and alter the image!

Please ???? don't take away my excuse to swear at the racist ???? ???? people ????

Double pricing alive and well having been charged 10x the amount of a Thai recently in Krabi. Only 8 x at the next tourist spot. I always decline at being ripped off but these 2 sites were quite a distance away so grudgingly paid up. Buffoonery at its worst as it causes much ill will.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aarin said:

Better start by looking at the prices the hotels in Bangkok are charging fur quarantine. The room is a double room but they charging per person. So instead of me and my wife paying  30.000 for the room you must pay 60.000.Its a disgrace and they will continue to Rip off the farangs until irs too late and Vietnam and Philippines are going to reap the rewards

Is the prices of the ASQ hotels not a lot to do with the brown envelopes passing around between the hospitals, insurance companies, and not to forget the most important one, the unelected "PM" and his soldiers?

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 1:19 PM, webfact said:

A so-called ‘Expat Card’ was also touted as a possible solution to ending dual pricing.

Will this Expat Card also prevent Farangs from being beaten up and worse?

"Don't you know who I am? I am an Expat and I have the prestigious Expat Card. Be gone, you scoundrel!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Donaldo said:

Not taking advantage of tourists. So does that mean that the double pricing at parks and others will be abandoned ? I don't believe so.

It also means the Thai bar girls will give you the Thai guy price on your weekly HJs. Great way to save money.

14 hours ago, greeneking said:

Thank you for your considered response and my example was extreme.

But the attractions should be paid for by all, and not rely on foreigners to pay too much.

Often the Thai visitors do arrive in their private car, and good luck to them if they can give their family a nice day out.  The really poor people do not go.

I hope all the admission fees go for what they were intended.

I think you are quite wrong about low paid people not going. My fiance lives in a poor village people do go on holidays to attractions. They don't stay in fancy hotels they usually share a battered second hand pick up owned by one of the 'richer' residents and share the cost of fuel. Often they are mistaken for 'homeless' when they camp out overnight to break a long journey. Your idea takes the attractions out of their financial reach

Its not just tourist that get taken advantage of, it's every possible opportunity to take advantage of be it farang or Thai.

Taxi's and minivan's are the biggest culprit's in Phuket

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

safety, it depends where and definitely not on roads.

cleanliness, there is serious hygiene issue.

not taking advantage of tourists, not sure how to.fix this since it's officialized everywhere in museums, parks, and sellers of all kind do it too.   

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to normal.

19 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

If they were really serious about not ripping off tourists the government could immediately drop its dual pricing and force businesses like hospitals to do the same. If they were serious they could do it TODAY.

But they're not, so they won't.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 5:42 PM, greeneking said:

What an idea......how much should you charge the rich Thais in their expensive imported cars, drinking their expensive imported whiskeys talking with their family about which expensive foreign university their children could attend and which part of the foreign city  they should buy an apartment for them?

Better to just charge the fair price for everyone. 

Do not encourage the population to forget their better nature and their Buddhist beliefs.

Average income in Phucket has dropped to approximately £540 per year according to a recent article on this website i.e. 1900 baht per month.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, robsamui said:

Watching all this unfold over the last 12 months is like seeing a naughty little kid being punished - with Thailand being the arrogant, conceited, spoiled kid who's now had all his toys confiscated and his pocket money stopped.

"Awwww mom, I didn't mean it. Farangs are nice . . . really! I promise I'll let them in the country as long as they have 2 weeks in lockdown quarantine in a 5-stay hotel, take 8 weeks vacation, buy wonderful government insurance on top of their own, and sign up with a Thai agency abroad."

"Awwwww mom! OK - I've got an idea to get 20 million tourists in the next 2 months! No? I want my toys back! How about an idea that brings in 30 million tourists by next week? No? What about golfing quarantine? Yacht quarantine? Huntin shootin 'n' fishin quarantine? AWWWWWW MOM!"

"OK OK OK - I'll be nice and stop ripping-off farangs. No? Bubbles - we can make lots of bubbles with falang countries then they'll all want to come and see me again. Here's an idea to get just the really rich ones - we can get only one million but they'll have 30 times more money than the silly little day-trippers so we don't need so many? No? Special visas? Keep 'em captive on islands? Make quarantine only 10 days? I can do that 'sustain' thing . . . just tell me what it means, I'll do it. I promise to clean my room and not break any more farangs . . . honest!"

"AWWWW MOM! I WANT MY TOURISTS BACK. BWAAAA SNIFF SOB - I'M REALLY SORRY FOR TREATING THEM SO BAD!"

Five star effort, I love it. 

I have not seen any reference to the transport industry? 

Buses, vans and boats have killed twenty times as many as zip lines? 

Interesting that they mention safety in the article, and show a photo of what appears to be a zipline attraction.

Of course, there have been several serious injuries and fatalities at ziplines in Thailand, the most recent being the death of a Canadian gentleman only a couple of years ago up in Chiang Mai.

Knowing Thai maintenance standards intimately I would go nowhere near these things, and that includes bungee, skydiving and anything that involves having to rely on equipment for personal protection. 

Nice to see that they need to state and work on the obvious.  That being, what people would find morally wrong and reprehensible any first world nation.

Congratulations government of Thailand!  

You may be proud of it, but frankly I'd be completely ashamed of it myself.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1