Microsoft account verification problem

OJAS

When selecting Settings/Accounts/Your info on Windows 10 I am informed that I need to verify my identity by clicking on a blue hyperlink labelled Verify. However, whenever I do click on this link I am presented with the following message (in red):-

"Sorry, there's a problem with the server, so we can't sign you in at the moment. We're working to fix it as soon as we can. Please try again in a few minutes".

I have been getting this message for several weeks now, and am finding it increasingly difficult to believe that it is taking Microsoft so long to fix the problematical server. What are the implications of my being unable to complete the account verification process in the meantime?

Do you even need to sign in utilising a Microsoft account? I wouldn't do such a thing unless I was actually utilising the functions available; such as syncing with other owned devices.

If not, I would use a local account.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-switch-local-account-microsoft-account-windows-10

I am not keen on Microsoft having access to all the information that they can gather on me.

• Like 2

They want to verify the email address attached to the Microsoft online account when you setup the machine

best route is to use a local account, not an online account at MS, when you setup the machine

Check the internet to switch back to a local account for a Win10 machine, you might loose all your desktop settings and redo it like a new setup

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Do you even need to sign in utilising a Microsoft account? I wouldn't do such a thing unless I was actually utilising the functions available; such as syncing with other owned devices.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-switch-local-account-microsoft-account-windows-10

I am not keen on Microsoft having access to all the information that they can gather on me.

Exactly.  Always a local account.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 8:07 PM, Eindhoven said:

Unfortunately, this approach does work in my case. When I arrive at My Info, instead of being presented with the option to sign in with a local account, I am presented with the problematical verification link described in the OP!

It would therefore appear that Microsoft have got me, through my account with them, by the short and curlies..????

Edited by OJAS

Which Version & Build of Windows 10 are you running? Type: About My PC in the search box and choose the first option on the menu to find out.

Once on the About page, scroll to the middle of it. Information will be there.