Bangkok to Heathrow experience

superal

5 minutes ago, superal said:

On top of all that I was faced with my waiting taxi having to pay new expensive parking charges £5 90 for the first 30 minutes  ( I was hit for £14 parking ) and now the airports are proposing a similar fee just for dropping off passengers 

The Underground is cheap and easy.

There's also a  bus/coach station.

Get a taxi at the next station (if you must).

Edited by BritManToo

I read a story on BBC news a few weeks back reporting up to 7 hour waits for returning passengers. Long queues, no social distancing etc and a lot of irate people. One person stating that they arrived at Heathrow at approx. 7 pm and didnt get out of the airport until around 2 am the following morning. the report said that there was a shortage of staff at Heathrow due to the Home Office putting a limit on the amount of officers in attendance at any one time. 

6 hours ago, superal said:

Now the nightmare begins . I was 3 hours waiting in line at the immigration hall .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The Underground is cheap and easy.

There's also a  bus/coach station.

Get a taxi at the next station (if you must).

I live on the south coast so what's the point about the underground and also coaches such as National Express are not running . Also if you think that a family member can pick you up , forget it cos they will also have to self isolate for 10 days as they have been in close contact with you.  Taxi drivers are exempt and also do not have to wear a face mask and have regular covid tests .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, potless said:

I read a story on BBC news a few weeks back reporting up to 7 hour waits for returning passengers. Long queues, no social distancing etc and a lot of irate people. One person stating that they arrived at Heathrow at approx. 7 pm and didnt get out of the airport until around 2 am the following morning. the report said that there was a shortage of staff at Heathrow due to the Home Office putting a limit on the amount of officers in attendance at any one time. 

Your story is true and there was nearly a passenger revolt while I was waiting to be screened .

• Like 2

An A380? I'm guessing that must be because routes via UAE and Qatar are closed due to their "red listing" and enforced, expensive hotel quarantine on entry to the UK meaning more direct passengers. I'm flying THAI in April and it's still currently showing as A350. Guess the chance of a socially distanced flight is minimal. The wait at the UK border on arrival at Heathrow is shameful. It has been the case for the last several decades that border staff (government employees) will work to rule, meaning extra checks, enforced rest breaks and no overtime whenever they are unhappy with something. It is so hit or miss when you arrive as to how many of the desks will actually be staffed and how many big non-european flights arrive just before. The electronic gates apparently are no longer in use due to the Covid-19 checks.

Edited by soi3eddie

On 3/29/2021 at 10:58 PM, superal said:

I live on the south coast so what's the point about the underground and also coaches such as National Express are not running . Also if you think that a family member can pick you up , forget it cos they will also have to self isolate for 10 days as they have been in close contact with you.  Taxi drivers are exempt and also do not have to wear a face mask and have regular covid tests .

To answer your rather odd question about "what's the point about the underground", you can use it to get to Victoria or Waterloo and get a train to the south coast from there. Quite useful, really. But up to you if you want to spend money on a taxi. Certainly easier if you've got heavy luggage.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Two points here:

1) I'm going back to UK in April for family and business reasons. My mother keeps telling me "stay in Thailand, you won't like it back here". And she she lives in one of the nicest places in the country!

2) Immigration (border staff, UKBA) or whatever they are calling themselves this week, should have an abundance of spare officers at Heathrow as two of the international terminals are actually closed. No excuse for long entry queues. Shameful.

The Thai and Thai airways set up has detailed docs checks before you fly at check in, detailed docs checks twice at swampy, then you are in front of the immigration guy who really is only processing your immigration   - not sure how it is working in the UK

57 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Two points here:

1) I'm going back to UK in April for family and business reasons. My mother keeps telling me "stay in Thailand, you won't like it back here". And she she lives in one of the nicest places in the country!

2) Immigration (border staff, UKBA) or whatever they are calling themselves this week, should have an abundance of spare officers at Heathrow as two of the international terminals are actually closed. No excuse for long entry queues. Shameful

Your mom's right, I've been messaging with my pals back in the UK, they aren't even supposed to leave their homes unless for work. Pubs and restaurants all closed. The news keeps saying restrictions are being eased, but my pals say they aren't.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Your mom's right, I've been messaging with my pals back in the UK, they aren't even supposed to leave their homes unless for work. Pubs and restaurants all closed. The news keeps saying restrictions are being eased, but my pals say they aren't.

Yes they are, lots of my friends and family meeting up over the last few days, all be it outside now the weather is good, no alcohol bans, take aways open so life is steadily improving

5 hours ago, Phulublub said:

I am trying to imagine the outpourings of self righteous indigation, scorn and insults had this been "Heathrow to Bangkok Experience".  Maybe the perpetual Thai knockers on here might like to read the story a few times and let it sink in that The UK and other Western nations are not head and shoulders above Thailand in many respects.

Anyone care to share any recent experience of arrival at Swampy so we can make a direct comparison?

PH

My arrival at Suvarnaphumbi in Nov last year was smooth and quick. Landed and on my way to hotel in 30 minutes or so. The immigration and health officials were efficient and even relatively friendly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nickmondo said:

i already decided a few years ago that i will never return to the UK

this re inforces that decision

i bet most of the staff were immigrants also.

the UK was lost years ago

I was questioned by a Sikh with a turban last time I entered the UK.

His English was so heavily accented, I could  barely understand him.

I stayed in London in a large house converted to bedsits  where all the names on the entry box appeared to be Latino.  Hardly any native English speakers were around in  the  streets, park or shops, although  I must  say, everyone was unexpectedly polite and helpful to an old  guy struggling with luggage, and unable to work the self scan tills  in the supermarket.

It was totally amazing.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

It might sound trivial, but please don't say taxi, it was probably a mini cab.

You could of gone to the proper rank and got a proper taxi, it's all swings and roundabouts, it might of cost you a bit more on the fare but you could of saved on the car park charges. 

8 hours ago, 473geo said:

Yes they are, lots of my friends and family meeting up over the last few days, all be it outside now the weather is good, no alcohol bans, take aways open so life is steadily improving

Just wait for it. In Belgium bars- restos - shops - barbers had been closed for many months, and about a month ago some of them were allowed to reopen.

2 days ago they have been shut again, because they started the 3rd lockdown.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Susco said:

Just wait for it. In Belgium bars- restos - shops - barbers had been closed for many months, and about a month ago some of them were allowed to reopen.

2 days ago they have been shut again, because they started the 3rd lockdown.

And the vaccinated level in Belgium is.....I think trailing some way behind the

UK

10 hours ago, nickmondo said:

i bet most of the staff were immigrants also.

So because too many immigrants in the UK, you thought it was better to become an immigrant yourself, and move to the country that is one of the biggest parts of the immigrant population in the UK.

I guess you love immigrants, and can't get enough of them. Right?

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

And the vaccinated level in Belgium is.....I think trailing some way behind the

UK

You want I post some links to articles that prove why the vaccination level in the EU is much lower than in the UK?

Well Boris the clown thought he could win the game, by playing foul, but he shot himself in the foot, because however they are now vaccinated, they can't leave the country anyway hahahaha

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

You want I post some links to articles that prove why the vaccination level in the EU is much lower than in the UK?

Well Boris the clown thought he could win the game, by playing foul, but he shot himself in the foot, because however they are now vaccinated, they can't leave the country anyway hahahaha

Please don't come and troll on this thread thank you

• Like 1

I was on the same flight and having read stories the previous weeks made great haste to the Border control area.

I have to say my experience was ok....the issue was the passengers in front of me who were not properly prepared before reaching their desk. Too many people had everything on their phone.....some times a few bits of paper is better in this digital world. 

People obviously had the different information on different emails and they had to access them then  hand to the officer...back and forth, back and forth etc etc.

I got to the desk in about 30 mins of landing and it took literally 30 seconds for the officer to check the 3 forms and I was gone.

Actually quicker than normal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

An A380? I'm guessing that must be because routes via UAE and Qatar are closed due to their "red listing" and enforced, expensive hotel quarantine on entry to the UK meaning more direct passengers. I'm flying THAI in April and it's still currently showing as A350. Guess the chance of a socially distanced flight is minimal. The wait at the UK border on arrival at Heathrow is shameful. It has been the case for the last several decades that border staff (government employees) will work to rule, meaning extra checks, enforced rest breaks and no overtime whenever they are unhappy with something. It is so hit or miss when you arrive as to how many of the desks will actually be staffed and how many big non-european flights arrive just before. The electronic gates apparently are no longer in use due to the Covid-19 checks.

It was a 350

• Thanks 1