Police Order or Thai Government statement required insurance for Non-O holder returning

My application for a COE has been refused by the Australian Embassy.  In the rejection email was the following:

Please provide: 1. A certificate of health insurance issued by Thai insurance companies covering the entire period of stay in Thailand containing the details of coverage as follows: In-house patients of not less than THB400,000/policy year, as for out-patients, not less than THB40,000/policy year. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org for more information regarding participating Thai insurance companies. 2. Covid insurance.

The site points to Insurance Companies that provides insurance for Visa Category Non-OA.  I have a Non-O visa with a current Retirement Extension for which my understanding is that I need to show Insurance for USD100,000 and only for 90 days.

Can someone please post either a Police Order or an official Thai Government statement(s) saying same.  I need to go back to the Embassy armed with some proof.  I’ve looked through the Police Orders in this Forum and cannot find anything relating.

I realize that the Embassy may not have come across someone needing a COE with a Non-O visa before so they replied as they saw fit.

I used tipinsure.com for a quote for the USD100,000.

TIA

• Thanks 1

I am not sure if an actual police order exists for this insurance requirement but the Los Angeles Consulate says the exact same thing.  In essence for O and OA visa holders one needs insurance that meets both Covid 19 Coverage and the 400K/40K requirements.  Might want to look at LMG insurance and consider a high deductible plan.  I doubt you will get a COE without an insurance policy(or polices) that meets both requirements.  

I ended up upgrading my Pacific Cross policy to meet both requirements in order to get the COE issued by the LA Consulate.  

There would be no police order for it. It is a order from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The same requirement is shown on most embassy websites. I looked at the embassy and Sydney consulate websites and did not find much info about it. 

See this page the embassy website in the US. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

Thank-you for the replies.  I don’t understand to what the MOPH order is for.  A person who has a Non-O doesn’t require insurance to renew their extension.

At my age the premium is expensive and considering there is an exclusion clause of the first fourteen days for covid claims, useless in the case of being covid positive during quarantine.

You may wish to check any 40k/400k Thai (TGIA list) issued insurance, that there is not a T&C line that says you must have been in Thailand for at least six months for the policy to be effective?? ???? (So perhaps remember to take another credible policy, if this is the case).

I think their $100k covid  one may be of some use?

20 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Does that mean everybody who return to Thailand with NON O and reentry permit needs a Thai health insurance with validity until the extension of stay is expired?And how about the following extension?I thought NON O holders no need a health insurance when extend the stay.

It only needed for those with non-o visas or extensions based upon retirement. The 400/40k baht insurance is only required for the length of stay you get when you enter the country. No insurance will be needed for your extension.

For marriage and etc it is not required.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It only needed for those with non-o visas or extensions based upon retirement. The 400/40k baht insurance is only required for the length of stay you get when you enter the country. No insurance will be needed for your extension.

Visa and Certificate of Entry for Non-Thai nationals who wish to obtain a retirement visa or a long-stay visa
(Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement) / O-A / O-X) or who is currently holding re-entry permit for such visas.

So why would it say "or who is currently holding a re-entry permit such as visas"? Non O. Would this be a re-entry based for only someone who needs to extend their Non O visa with the Thai Embassy? 

So my question is, if a person goes to the Thailand airport immigration line, would that Non O holder who already has long stay and a re-entry have to show the Thai Insurance? Covid 19 I can understand that one, but is this a new twist or something that they can do anyway they see they want to? Not that I am leaving Thailand to go anywhere. No need. 

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So why would it say "or who is currently holding a re-entry permit such as visas"? Non O. Would this be a re-entry based for only someone who needs to extend their Non O visa with the Thai Embassy? 

A embassy cannot extend any visa. They only issue new ones.

It would be a re-entry permit for a extension of stay for a non-o or OA visa. If a re-entry permit for the 2nd year of a OA visa the insurance would be required anyway.

9 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So my question is, if a person goes to the Thailand airport immigration line, would that Non O holder who already has long stay and a re-entry have to show the Thai Insurance?

It is not required to enter the country. It is only required to get a certificate of entry.

Only the covid 19 insurance is needed for entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not required to enter the country. It is only required to get a certificate of entry.

Only the covid 19 insurance is needed for entry.

In the end is it not the same thing? or can you enter Thailand without a CoE?

12 minutes ago, JH1967 said:

In the end is it not the same thing?

Yes in a way but you were asking about immigration. They may double check that you have the covid insurance. Only for a valid OA visa would they be checking for the 40/400k baht insurance.

@lujanit

Hi OP,

Previously that particular health-insurance requirement was only applicable when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.

However, as part of the CoE requirements the 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance requirement has now also been imposed on those applying for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (or wanting to re-enter Thailand on a valid Re-Entry Permit from a 1-year extension based on such Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement).

If you have foreign/international insurance that meets the requirements (400K in-patient / 40K out-patient coverage for at least the period of the permission to stay you would receive on entering Thailand with you Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, or the Re-Entry permit of the 1-year extension on which you would enter), you can ask them to fill in the Foreign Insurance Certificate.  Alternatively, and that is probably the best/easiest option, you can subscribe to the Thai IO-approved LMG Insurance Plan-1  policy (with 200K deductible).  The annual fee for that policy is only 6.000 to 11.400 THB in the age brackets of 51 to 75 years of age.  And an additional advantage of that 'throw-away' policy is that it does not require an (expensive) medical to subscribe to it.

>> I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet that mandatory 400K/40K health-insurance policy when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country (and now thus also for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement).

Also please note that this 400K/40K health-insurance is SEPARATE from the now also required 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance.

There are Thai policies that meet both requirements, but your best and cheapest option would be to thread them as separate insurance requirements (which they are) and subscribe to two separate policies to meet the requirements.

Note: I did also provide you some info PM on best/cheapest options to meet the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance.

• Like 2

Its all to do with the requirements set my the THAI MFA to get a Certificate of entry. Most embassy's are applying the same insurance reqirements as those that are associated with a Non OA, ie 40k outpatient and 400k inpatient insurance to get a COE for new Non O applications based on retirement and those who have an existing extension of stay based on retirement in Thailand and have a re entry permit. Both also need the $100k Covid insurance.

I have only heard of the UK embassy interpreting it differently. In the UK only new Non O based on retirement needs the 40/400k insurance and the $100k Covid. Existing retirement extensions with a re entry only require the $100k Covid insurance.

It seems like some embassies demand  400k+40k baht health insurance for non-immigrant O-visa, and for re-entry with extensions based on retirement when issuing COE, even it's not the "O-A" class.

It's been up in the Danish Thai-expat Facebook-forum that you need the mandatory 400k+40k baht health insurance at the moment, plus the $100.000 Covid-insurance.

Now I'm utterly confused! Can you get a CoE and come in visa exempt at the moment? If you can what insurance does that require?  At least Covid 19 cover I presume. Once in what insurance is needed to extend, then apply for a year's permission to stay based on marriage? 

Sounds like the re-entry permit is the snag. I didn't get one this time. If, for unforeseen circumstances, I need to leave, I'll come back Visa on Entry, then reapply for my normal extension again.

Will this thwart their money-grubbing?

I'm hoping this will change with vaccination but I won't hold my breath. They rarely give up any control once implemented. Kickbacks from insurance companies, no doubt.

24 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Now I'm utterly confused! Can you get a CoE and come in visa exempt at the moment? If you can what insurance does that require?  At least Covid 19 cover I presume. Once in what insurance is needed to extend, then apply for a year's permission to stay based on marriage? 

Yes, you can enter Thailand VisaExempt and as part of the CoE requirements you would - like EVERYBODY entering Thailand - need a 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance for the period of the permission to stay you would receive on entry (i.e. 45 days for a VisaExempt entry).

And to answer your query > Once in Thailand there is no need for further insurance when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage and the subsequent 1-year extension of stay based on that Visa.

Note: When in Thailand the ONLY extensions requiring insurance are those based on an original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement, an original Non Imm O-X Visa or an STV.  The STV even needs both, i.e. the 400K/40 K health-insurance as well as the 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Is this 400/40k baht (and Covid-19) insurance a permanent requirement for a non-o retirement extension everytime we leave and return? For example prior to Covid-19, I would fly out and back into Thailand several times a year (multiple re-entry permit) for short holidays here in SE Asia with no insurance requirements. It seems odd if I (we) never leave Thailand there's no insurance requirements, but now take a short 2 day trip to Laos for holiday and all of a sudden insurance is mandatory?

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

Is this 400/40k baht (and Covid-19) insurance a permanent requirement for a non-o retirement extension everytime we leave and return?

It is only a requirement the MFA came up with due to covid 19 and etc. 

It will not be required when the need for a certificate of entry (COE) ends.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 8:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is only a requirement the MFA came up with due to covid 19 and etc. 

It will not be required when the need for a certificate of entry (COE) ends.

Thanks for the information ubonjoe, keeping my fingers crossed ????