Am I needed?

You would get work if you wanted it and were prepared to travel for it. The pay is not great as you would probably end up in a more rural school. I wouldnt be put off by age, you have a wealth of experience .

You might want to also consider teaching your own classes online, that works for many and you can choose how much you want to do, you can base yourself pretty much whever you want that way.

Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

Andy, I am in the same boat.

Sitting in Japan, MEd in TESOL, decades of teaching from elementary to university, presentations and publications, and bored to tears. I'd love to have a fresh start in the LOS.  

Assuming you are willing to move anywhere in Thailand you can find work over 60 years of age.

Your qualifications will be by and large ignored. I'd recommend getting into any school and then applying for your full Thai license. That is marketable especially if you are married and on a non-o.

Turning 60 is far more an issue than I would have thought. Offers from better and best schools do indeed dry up. If you are late 50s make the move now!

60+ If you've never before worked in a Thai school I think this an issue regardless of home educational qualifications.

If you're photo looks off, unprofessional or if you do not absolutely exude energy imo that is also a huge issue. Thai middle schools definitely don't need a slow, paunchy, critical NEW old guy.

Be aware that it is in fact standard practice to retire Thai teachers at 60. It is only perhaps possible for you to continue as you would be on a one year contract.

Do bear in mind the schools willing to take you on may be due to what other teachers have found to be unfavorable working conditions.

Volunteering is not wanted or helpful for many, many reasons on both sides.

Edit: As for Pattaya. There's really nothing there of any quality but perhaps Rayong. This is not imo a daily drive but there are a few decent schools there. I'd think that if you are not skeezy looking, consistent and responsible there are 30k jobs in Pattaya. Be punctual, sober and scrubbed. Be absolutely certain you are on a B visa and have a teaching waiver. Doubt forthcoming from Pattaya schools. Have a darn good reason for living in Pattaya such as you're new to Thailand and all your mates retired there. It is not a place real teachers teach.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Assuming you are willing to move anywhere in Thailand you can find work over 60 years of age.

Your qualifications will be by and large ignored. I'd recommend getting into any school and then applying for your full Thai license. That is marketable especially if you are married and on a non-o.

Turning 60 is far more an issue than I would have thought. Offers from better and best schools do indeed dry up. If you are late 50s make the move now!

60+ If you've never before worked in a Thai school I think this an issue regardless of home educational qualifications.

If you're photo looks off, unprofessional or if you do not absolutely exude energy imo that is also a huge issue. Thai middle schools definitely don't need a slow, paunchy, critical NEW old guy.

Be aware that it is in fact standard practice to retire Thai teachers at 60. It is only perhaps possible for you to continue as you would be on a one year contract.

Do bear in mind the schools willing to take you on may be due to what other teachers have found to be unfavorable working conditions.

Volunteering is not wanted or helpful for many, many reasons on both sides.

Edit: As for Pattaya. There's really nothing there of any quality but perhaps Rayong. This is not imo a daily drive but there are a few decent schools there. I'd think that if you are not skeezy looking, consistent and responsible there are 30k jobs in Pattaya. Be punctual, sober and scrubbed. Be absolutely certain you are on a B visa and have a teaching waiver. Doubt forthcoming from Pattaya schools. Have a darn good reason for living in Pattaya such as you're new to Thailand and all your mates retired there. It is not a place real teachers teach.

Wouldn't there be some private schools around Patts, catering to the large number of expats wanti g to live near the beach, but still be close enough to BKK... same with Hua Hin?

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Wouldn't there be some private schools around Patts, catering to the large number of expats wanti g to live near the beach, but still be close enough to BKK... same with Hua Hin?

I know of of one. A fellow TV member asked my assessment of it many moons ago. I didn't think much of it for his son. I'm certain there are others. I watch Ajarn like a hawk and unaware. From Ban Chang to Rayong six reasonably good schools imo.

The school aside my biggest concern would be getting a proper visa and wp. I'm sure these schools churn thru teachers. They assume every teacher is there for a term. Perhaps a year at best.

Kaesetsart is trying to get something going in Sriracha but conditions mediocre. Perhaps fine for the average punter but not for experienced teachers. No AC for starters. Package is good.

I'm definitely unaware of any important, nationally recognized K12 from Sriracha to Trat. Perhaps a few low-mid tier international schools that make an effort.

Perhaps get a job at a school in Bangkok and head to Pattaya every once and awhile. I don't see how Pattaya would be good for a teacher. Daily alcohol consumption, staying out late, bar girl drama that could potentially drift into the workplace. The crime and trouble.

I'd think if you weren't doing all of the above and could find a good school you'd be highly valued.

Edited by kynikoi

17 hours ago, kynikoi said:

I know of of one. A fellow TV member asked my assessment of it many moons ago. I didn't think much of it for his son. I'm certain there are others. I watch Ajarn like a hawk and unaware. From Ban Chang to Rayong six reasonably good schools imo.

The school aside my biggest concern would be getting a proper visa and wp. I'm sure these schools churn thru teachers. They assume every teacher is there for a term. Perhaps a year at best.

Kaesetsart is trying to get something going in Sriracha but conditions mediocre. Perhaps fine for the average punter but not for experienced teachers. No AC for starters. Package is good.

I'm definitely unaware of any important, nationally recognized K12 from Sriracha to Trat. Perhaps a few low-mid tier international schools that make an effort.

Perhaps get a job at a school in Bangkok and head to Pattaya every once and awhile. I don't see how Pattaya would be good for a teacher. Daily alcohol consumption, staying out late, bar girl drama that could potentially drift into the workplace. The crime and trouble.

I'd think if you weren't doing all of the above and could find a good school you'd be highly valued.

I had a thought over the night regarding Pattaya. It fits the situation perfectly.

My second year of teaching was spent with an old guy, thin and energy. He was very responsible and a decent teacher despite being old and boring. He literally moved up from Pattaya so he could work. He stayed at that school probably until after 65. He then returned to Pattaya looked for work yet did not find anything suitable. I still have his Line. He teaches online and finds it acceptable. I suspect he's pushing 70.

Pattaya is a hellhole. It's purposed for two things: alcohol, sex. Nothing good ever comes of that place.