Route through/around Bangkok

CMMCB

On a 300cc bike and need to go from Phetchaburi through to Chachoengsao and Kabinburi tomorrow. ‘Northerner’ who doesn’t know the ins and outs of biking through/around Bangkok. Anybody got advice? Not sure if I can use the southern Kanchanapisek bridge/expressway or not and, if not what’s the smoothest fastest way? 

Thanks for any tips. 

Probably to late but the info may help others, I did this recently, set my destination on android google maps, selected route option to avoid tolls, then selected motorbike as vehicle, this brought me over king taksin the great bridge at sathorn area, one of the few bridges bikes are allowed, this route worked well. The other choice is to use ferries at phuchao saming phray pier, it involves two ferries and I've discovered it's not any quicker than the bridge route.

No problem, the ferry I used is directly below Bhumiphon 2 bridge, two years ago bikes were not allowed on this, has it changed or did you 'accidentally' go for it? See other bikes on there? The bridge slightly south of this in samut prakhan would also be handy but I believe no bikes also.

6 hours ago, tdm said:

No problem, the ferry I used is directly below Bhumiphon 2 bridge, two years ago bikes were not allowed on this, has it changed or did you 'accidentally' go for it? See other bikes on there? The bridge slightly south of this in samut prakhan would also be handy but I believe no bikes also.

Good question. I don’t remember any signs forbidding motorcy but can’t remember if I saw any others on the bridge. Thought it was just the ‘expressway’ bridges that were not allowed but I really have no idea.  Hope I don’t need to repeat that journey again! 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 5:23 PM, CMMCB said:

Good question. I don’t remember any signs forbidding motorcy but can’t remember if I saw any others on the bridge. Thought it was just the ‘expressway’ bridges that were not allowed but I really have no idea.  Hope I don’t need to repeat that journey again! 

Technically motorcycles aren't allowed on the Bhumpol bridges buy they do use them, as do I.

Get on at the Suksawat on ramp and off at the Pu Chao Saming exit or vice versa. This avoids the tolls and cuts out central Bangkok.

You'll hit a little traffic on Pu Chao Saming and Sukhumvit Rd until Bang Na then Robert's your father's brother.

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1