Phuket Governor pushes to vaccinate 50,000 in seven days

webfact

1617090731_1-org.jpg

Photo: PR Dept 

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew has called for people to register to be vaccinated for COVID-19 in a push that he hopes to see 50,000 people in Phuket receive their first injection within seven days of the April delivery arriving on the island.

The call for people to register came at a special meeting of Phuket Communicable Disease Committee at Phuket Provincial Hall on Sunday (Mar 28)

“We will certainly receive 100,000 doses of vaccines in April, and we plan to administer injections to 50,000 people within seven days,” Governor Narong said. 

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-pushes-to-vaccinate-50-000-in-seven-days-79510.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-03-30

Phuket Targets 100,000 People for Inoculation in April before Reopening

Paphamon Arayasukawat

edd7757cb9be4ed4e46aeac99a26fb84_small.jpg

PHUKET (NNT) - Phuket authorities set the goal of vaccinating 100,000 people in April before the opening of the province on July 1 in line with plans for accepting vaccinated foreign tourists without quarantine.

Phuket Governor Narong Woonclew has urged all Phuket residents to prepare for the inoculation and sign up on the health officer website after an urgent meeting with agencies and community leaders to discuss the allocation of the Covid-19 vaccine.

He said 300,000 doses of vaccine would arrive in May according to the government’s promise, 200,000 in June, and 260,000 in July, totaling 920,000 doses.

The governor asked local people to quickly register for vaccination before March 31. If the number of vaccinated people did not reach at least 50,000, it might affect vaccine procurement plan in the future.

nnt.jpg

So used to the dartboard approach to numbers announced, this low target seems almost plausible. The normal way, with zero accountability, is make up a number, add a few zeros to please people with an interest, then issue another number a period later and blame someone/thing else.

This is a different approach, a target that most countries can achieve at a canter where the organisation comes out looking good. The fact that the number of vaccinations is not nearly enough makes it almost as redundant as TAT's tourist projections, but at last someone is DOING something instead of just saying it.

• Like 2

One of my friends works in logistics for Teva.  I still don't understand why they can't deliver 500,000 vaccines next week and vaccinate everyone. 

Sane goes for Japan and other countries. 

Personally, I don't want foreigners coming here for another 6 months at least, until the pandemic has gone. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

They are 'hopeful' to achieve 50k in a 7 day period (as others have poted out elsewhere this implies 100 people per hour, over an 8 hour day, per planned vaccine station.. A high target !!) but if you do the math. 

They say they want to give 450,000 resident 2 shots of vaccine by July 1st. 

That means they need to give +- 82,000 shots, each week, consistently, for the 11 weeks between 15th April and 1st July. 

So even thier best case hoped for target.. Is still +- 40% under what they need to manage steadily. 

Basic numbers. 

8 hours a day? We have 24/7 vaccination sites in the US!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuket authorities set the goal of vaccinating 100,000 people in April before the opening of the province on July 1 in line with plans for accepting vaccinated foreign tourists without quarantine.

I wonder what percentage of the Phuket population that is?

Unitl 100% rae jabbed it's crazy to say it's safe for the service industry to open up.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, brommers said:

I can only wish the governor, his medical staff and everryone living on Phuket Island the very best in this exercise. It is heartening to see a team that has a sense of urgency and a will to climb out of the deep hole that the virus has dug for everyone. Without stretch goals there will not be a sense of focus, purpose and urgency which is what this complacent national government simply lacks. As the partner of an increasingly despondent business owner I can only hope that Phuket manages to pull this off, because the rest of the Thai tourism industry cannot cling on by the fingernails for very much longer.

So inoculate a small percentage of the population to get some money in... not a smart thing to do.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Know not me said:

America has vacinnated 1 million people in one day. The goal since President Biden took over is 200 million in his 1st 1oo days in office. Thats 200 million by May 1st 

I don't think it fair to compare a country of 300 million with one of the largest vaccine supplies to a island of 500K with limited vaccine supplies. 

Besides that, since people have been dying by the bushes, America's achievement with vaccinations have been pathetic to say the least. The UK is really the only country who has overcome their incompetence so far. 

• Haha 1

Phuket is washed up, overdeveloped, dirty and unfriendly. Tourists in any kind of meaningful numbers will not return to Phuket this year. One must look at where the tourists are coming from and the situation there. We all have a long way to go.  

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

They are 'hopeful' to achieve 50k in a 7 day period (as others have poted out elsewhere this implies 100 people per hour, over an 8 hour day, per planned vaccine station.. A high target !!) but if you do the math. 

They say they want to give 450,000 resident 2 shots of vaccine by July 1st. 

That means they need to give +- 82,000 shots, each week, consistently, for the 11 weeks between 15th April and 1st July. 

So even thier best case hoped for target.. Is still +- 40% under what they need to manage steadily. 

Basic numbers. 

I never saw a Thai working 8 hours straight in a day but that's a good thought

8 hours ago, smedly said:

I don't know enough about how the vaccine works or if those vaccinated can still infect others but this all seems to be careless thinking, other countries are still being very careful until they have a full understanding of how the vaccines work going forward - there simply isn't enough data to make these sort of moves, then we have the complication of mutations and variants - Thailand's lack of mass random testing, this just seems to be careless thinking IMO 

Also there simply is not enough vaccine to go round.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:09 PM, keith101 said:

Phuket has a population of around 480,000 so he wants less than 1/4  inoculated before tourists start arriving . I for one would want at least 60% done even though only fully vaccinated tourist can go there .

... and to put this timeline (50k per week) in a national perspective it will take approx (70m/50000x7/365) 27 years to vaccinate all or approx 19 years to vaccinate 70% of the population - not that fast, is it ... ????

Edited by ttrd