Certified translation from Thai to English

neilrob

I am helping a Thai friend of mine make an insurance claim from a US insurance company (Brighthouse, formerly Met Life). He was married to an American, who unfortunately died. The American had an annuity/life insurance policy naming my Thai friend as the beneficiary. We have submitted documentation already. The only remaining item that the company wants is a death certificate. We have sent them already the Report of the Death of an American Overseas, supplied and certified by the US Consulate, but this does not seem sufficient. Consequently, we need to send the Thai death certificate. I am sure they will need a certified translation. I am concerned that they will not accept a translation self-certified by the translator. But who else to certify it? Has anyone had experience with this?

11 hours ago, canthai55 said:

You need a translator certified by the Thai Government.

I got one a few years ago.

Will have to go dig up the paperwork and find the contact details.

Located in CNX near Maya - or was when I got mine

Thank you. I would appreciate it if you could find the contact details. What were you using the translation for?

8 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

https://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-legalizing-thai-documents-for-use-abroad-p209

possible useful information seems complete, you may not need all steps like the legalization by your embassy but it could be needed

I used Star Visa for translations and certification (they do the leg work to the Government Office) for my necessary marriage documents and for my wife's US Visa documents.  No hassle.  However, the above link has some good information and I have saved it for future reference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilrob said:

What were you using the translation for?

Business moved / shut down / - probably due Covid

I used it for Marriage Certificate translation - Thai to English

That stamp I believe was affixed in BKK. Translation done here, sent to Foreign Affairs to be checked and stamped.

What the process is now - ???

Edited by canthai55

21 hours ago, neilrob said:

We have sent them already the Report of the Death of an American Overseas, supplied and certified by the US Consulate, but this does not seem sufficient.

Ask to speak to an adult. The raised seal certified Death of an American Overseas has all the authority of any death certificate issued by one of the 50 states.

Upon issuance of a local (foreign) death certificate, the nearest embassy or consulate may prepare a Consular Report of the Death of an American Abroad. Copies of that report are provided to the next-of-kin or legal representative and may be used in U.S. courts to settle estate matters.

• Like 1

JimGant is right about escalating the request up the food chain.  

However, when I've been involved in settling the estate of an American, I've always had the Thai death certificate translated at Star Visa near the U.S. Consulate just to have an additional piece of of paper.  In fact, for the longest time, I thought the U.S. Consulate needed this before they turned out their document, but I recently discovered this isn't the case.

Star Visa can do the job in a few hours for a couple hundred baht.  Money well spent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

In fact, for the longest time, I thought the U.S. Consulate needed this before they turned out their document, but I recently discovered this isn't the case.

Interesting. So the Consulate can use the untranslated Thai death certificate to prepare their "Consular Report of the death of an American Abroad?"

23 hours ago, Dante99 said:

https://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-legalizing-thai-documents-for-use-abroad-p209

possible useful information seems complete, you may not need all steps like the legalization by your embassy but it could be needed

Thank you very much for this link, which contains what looks like complete information, clearly presented

17 hours ago, JimGant said:

Interesting. So the Consulate can use the untranslated Thai death certificate to prepare their "Consular Report of the death of an American Abroad?"

Apparently not.  At least not the most recent time I was involved with assisting a survivor with an American death.  The Thai beneficiary was able to obtain the Consular Report of the Death of an American Abroad without having obtained an English translation of the death certification.  Or rather, McKean Hospital helped him to obtain it.

CMULI does certified translations.. was 300 pp.  I had to have my passport translated for a yellow book.  Make sure the translation of your name is consistent on all documents.  Also heard Star Visa was good. 

• Like 1