PC Freezing

Susco

5 minutes ago, Susco said:

Really, so all windows 7 pc's crash now? I should say something, but it may get me banned

No, but when they eventually do, Mr Gates will not be there to help.

Please explain why you are still on W7? Is it to keep up with Immigration? Have you even tried W10?

Do you still drive a Ford Anglia or Hillman Minx?   LOL

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No, but when they eventually do, Mr Gates will not be there to help.

Please explain why you are still on W7? Is it to keep up with Immigration? Have you even tried W10?

Do you still drive a Ford Anglia or Hillman Minx?   LOL

I rather like Windows 7, I don't need the extra bloat of Win10 and 7 is completely stable.

I'd suggest the OP takes the cover off his PC and run it with a fan directed at the insides.

See if it still has the problem.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I rather like Windows 7, I don't need the extra bloat of Win10 and 7 is completely stable.

I'd suggest the OP takes the cover off his PC and run it with a fan directed at the insides.

What extra bloat are you talking about? You can say which things you do or do not want when you install W10.

And if the external fan does not solve the problem, what then?

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My case is a cooler master, with 5 big fans inside, and a one of these on the CPU.

Hyper 212 Plus (fan bracket version) | Cooler Master

we're now 24 hours down the line, without a single crash, so I think this explains what the caused the problems.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1211953-pc-freezing/?do=findComment&comment=16355976

The programs are getting bigger and bigger from what I've heard and you just need more ram and the rest to run them. I guess if you are running 7 prgrams from 10 years ago, you might not have a problem but any other new or updated programs could require a faster processor. You interact with Net computers that are also running much faster so I wonder what that could do an old system trying to interact with it. You might check how your computer runs offline verses online. If the problems don't arise while online, that might say something.

I would also wonder about the OS and programs versions you use. Are they legal or pirated? That could also mean something I bet.

One thing that happened lately was that adobe flash stopped updating and I guess that program is fading away from use. Not sure how that would affect a system.

Then there are stories of hidden crypto miners using your computer as part of their networks to make bitcoin. Not sure how that works. Sometimes it's not hidden.

Well, what do I know. I'm just a longterm user.  Good luck with it. No need to respond to this post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I used the “free upgrade” link to go from 7 to 10 and it looks just like 7.

Win10 looks nothing like Win7

but it's definitely a better OS than Win7, so it is a worthy upgrade!!!

also, your whole PC is owned by MS ????

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Susco said:

I have Windows 7 and have really no intention to change to Windows 10

Win 7 is no longer supported  since Jan. 14, 2020

This means that you are vulnerable and have been unprotected for  1year+. Malware bytes and AVS will not replace an updated operating software and they say that in their documentation.

As you continue in Win 7 you will experience more and more issues.  

Companies with IT risk management policy will not allow employees and contractors to connect with outdated software. If you have contracts or agreements with clients, you may wish to verify conditions because you may be in violation of agreement.

• Like 2

first thought would be hard drive as windows no longer runs good on HDD, but you have SSD so that should not be an issue

if your RAM is maxed out, close everything and see how long before a crash
open programs you use 1 by 1 to see whats eating your RAM
more tabs or windows open equal more RAM being used
run Ccleaner and remove any <deleted>
disable unneeded programs starting at start-up

do not rule out your motherboard
i had this happen before with a bad VGA slot
so do test VGA slots and RAM slots
for fans make sure they are not dirty

On 3/31/2021 at 4:11 AM, BritManToo said:

I understand your point, personally I think Win10 has a better UI than Win7 with its UI legacy over the terrible Vista

• Like 1

For what it's worth I experienced a similar problem over recent weeks which I originally put down to my Bitdefender AV but it turns out it was my Firefox browser causing the lockups especially when I'd leave it running and return hours later.  Things ground to a halt and websites stuck halfway through a page and at times mouse and keyboard input stopped.  I gave up on FF the other day and moved completely to Chrome browser and now everything is fine again.

• Like 1

I've not read all the replies.

If you are running a later version of W10 and have auto updates on it is most likely an update.

Windows has botched a number of recent updates. Roll back the update and restart.

Issue is all over the internet.

3 hours ago, kynikoi said:

I've not read all the replies.

If you are running a later version of W10 and have auto updates on it is most likely an update.

Windows has botched a number of recent updates. Roll back the update and restart.

Issue is all over the internet.

He got windows 7.

Just now, Susco said:

Since I removed Malwarebytes and the AV, on the day I started this thread, I have had no crash any more.

That echoes a bit what i always thought. That those scanners and malware removers often do more damage then good. Best just to be careful with what you download and install. For me I only use the win10 software for viruses. Never a problem.

The only time i ever needed those kinds of software was on older windows versions (but more importantly) when I downloaded a lot of free programs instead of paying for paid for versions. Quite often all kind of advertisement and other software was installed. Had viruses then too. Now that I am more selective with what i download and install never a problem anymore.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

That echoes a bit what i always thought. That those scanners and malware removers often do more damage then good. Best just to be careful with what you download and install. For me I only use the win10 software for viruses. Never a problem.

The only time i ever needed those kinds of software was on older windows versions (but more importantly) when I downloaded a lot of free programs instead of paying for paid for versions. Quite often all kind of advertisement and other software was installed. Had viruses then too. Now that I am more selective with what i download and install never a problem anymore.

You can do much the same as Malwarebytes immunisation does with a simple HOSTS file.

Having multiple AV is never a good idea. 

Most people concern themselves with outside threats, completely ignoring the amount of tracking that goes on within Windows...and that includes Windows 7.

https://wpd.app will help with that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You can do much the same as Malwarebytes immunisation does with a simple HOSTS file.

Having multiple AV is never a good idea. 

Most people concern themselves with outside threats, completely ignoring the amount of tracking that goes on within Windows...and that includes Windows 7.

https://wpd.app will help with that.

Your downloading exactly the <deleted> im talking about. Those kind of programs are often full with addware. (they need to get money from something). I am not saying its the case with this software. But usual software like that the free and from relatively unknown source are a high risk. 

Just now, robblok said:

Your downloading exactly the <deleted> im talking about. Those kind of programs are often full with addware. (they need to get money from something). I am not saying its the case with this software. But usual software like that the free and from relatively unknown source are a high risk. 

Try to comment intelligently before you press that Submit button..

There was only one program to which I linked and that doesn't install; it simply toggles the Windows switches for you. That way you don't have to search for them individually.

HOSTS file is not a program and I suggested it as a way to not have to install something like Malwarebytes.

What is your better suggestion to remove the tracking from Windows?

You replied too quickly. Too quickly for you to give a considered reply. Take your time and do a little research before you hit the Submit button again.

Just now, Bruno123 said:

Try to comment intelligently before you press that Submit button..

There was only one program to which I linked and that doesn't install; it simply toggles the Windows switches for you. That way you don't have to search for them individually.

HOSTS file is not a program and I suggested it as a way to not have to install something like Malwarebytes.

What is your better suggestion to remove the tracking from Windows?

You replied too quickly. Too quickly for you to give a considered reply. Take your time and do a little research before you hit the Submit button again.

How do you know that it does not install anything ? 

I have no problems with tracking from windows. I have a problem with my pc not working. 

Maybe you should think before you post. Because how do you know nothing is installed. Its an executable. Talk about being naïve. 

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you are writing that " I am not saying its the case with this software.", then why did you begin your post with "Your downloading exactly the <deleted> im talking about."?

Just now, Bruno123 said:

If you are writing that " I am not saying its the case with this software.", then why did you begin your post with "Your downloading exactly the <deleted> im talking about."?

What i mean with it its those things.. executable from unknown sources. That may or may not have <deleted> included. I can't say for sure that your software is bad or not. But its an executable. (a program) you never know what they do in the background. 

That is why i stay with stuff from sources that are more confirmed. Sorry I just see it differently then you. 

Just now, robblok said:

How do you know that it does not install anything ? 

I have no problems with tracking from windows. I have a problem with my pc not working. 

Maybe you should think before you post. Because how do you know nothing is installed. Its an executable. Talk about being naïve. 

Maybe you could have tried reading before you posted so excitedly.

A small but powerful portable tool working via Windows API.

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

Maybe you could have tried reading before you posted so excitedly.

I don't want to flame you. But it is still an executable. You never know what they do portable or not. I think your a bit out of touch with computers. You believe what you read you believe the program is good. But you have no proof for it. How do you know this is all i ask. 

Do you think scammers will tell you anything that raises your suspicions ? So the website can tell one thing reality can be something else.

At least im being honest saying I don't know but wont exclude the possibility. You however seem to exclude it without proof. Any exe file is basically a program. 

Why is a File Extension Potentially Dangerous? These file extensions are potentially dangerous because they can contain code or execute arbitrary commands. An .exe file is potentially dangerous because it's a program that can do anything (within the limits of Windows' User Account Control feature)