PC Freezing

Susco

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

What i mean with it its those things.. executable from unknown sources. That may or may not have <deleted> included. I can't say for sure that your software is bad or not. But its an executable. (a program) you never know what they do in the background. 

That is why i stay with stuff from sources that are more confirmed. Sorry I just see it differently then you. 

What you do differently from me is to post without thinking nor research.

You could have done some research then replied intelligently, but you chose to attack with all guns blazing.

Portable, freeware, no ads, command line arguments support.

Just now, robblok said:

I don't want to flame you. But it is still an executable. You never know what they do portable or not. I think your a bit out of touch with computers. You believe what you read you believe the program is good. But you have no proof for it. How do you know this is all i ask. 

Do you think scammers will tell you anything that raises your suspicions ? So the website can tell one thing reality can be something else.

At least im being honest saying I don't know but wont exclude the possibility. You however seem to exclude it without proof. Any exe file is basically a program. 

Why is a File Extension Potentially Dangerous? These file extensions are potentially dangerous because they can contain code or execute arbitrary commands. An .exe file is potentially dangerous because it's a program that can do anything (within the limits of Windows' User Account Control feature)

Sorry, but you are just babbling. Why not spend the time checking out the program instead of throwing cr@p everywhere.

Please don't write about naivety here when you did not even do ten seconds of research before replying.

So do so and come back with an intelligent discussion before I label you as someone who simply is not capable of an intelligent and rational discussion and make use of the Ignore function.

So, start again. Check out the program and then come back with intelligence, not mudslinging in the hope of hitting a target.

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

What you do differently from me is to post without thinking nor research.

You could have done some research then replied intelligently, but you chose to attack with all guns blazing.

Mate that is what the site itself says.. that is like believing what the makers want you to believe. Do you think a scammer would say its full with dangerous stuff and can damage your computer. 

Your taking the word of people for it. You do understand that a scammer would set up a few websites praising his program and make some good reviews ect ect. Making people trust it and then having access to their computer.

I am sorry just more safety conscious then you. 

Why is a File Extension Potentially Dangerous? These file extensions are potentially dangerous because they can contain code or execute arbitrary commands. An .exe file is potentially dangerous because it's a program that can do anything (within the limits of Windows' User Account Control feature)

Below what the download links contains an exe file

Capture (1).jpg

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

Sorry, but you are just babbling. Why not spend the time checking out the program instead of throwing cr@p everywhere.

Please don't write about naivety here when you did not even do ten seconds of research before replying.

So do so and come back with an intelligent discussion before I label you as someone who simply is not capable of an intelligent and rational discussion and make use of the Ignore function.

So, start again. Check out the program and then come back with intelligence, not mudslinging in the hope of hitting a target.

Your right there is no way to discuss with you if you think exe files are not dangerous. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your right there is no way to discuss with you if you think exe files are not dangerous. 

Instead of pointless babble, why not track down a negative review of the program?

Surely that would give some credence to your post after post of attacks and negativity.

Just one review anywhere that suggests that the program is dangerous.

Time to don your tin hat? 

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/10/wpd-privacy-app-for-windows-updated/

https://malwaretips.com/threads/do-shutup10-and-wpd-windows-privacy-dashboard-clash.99123/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-privacy-dashboard.825321/

https://www.ricksdailytips.com/wpd/

You can start there. See if you can find any adverse comment. This is the beginning of your lessons in research. Secondly we can run the program through Virustotal. Thirdly....

It's called research before posting. I did it. Have you?

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your downloading exactly the <deleted> im talking about. Those kind of programs are often full with addware. (they need to get money from something). I am not saying its the case with this software. But usual software like that the free and from relatively unknown source are a high risk. 

So now we have gone from these "kinds of program are often full of adware" to admitting that Portable Apps don't have Adware at all?

Isn't it embarrassing for you to have posted and accused before you even checked?

Are you suggesting that all applications with an exe are dangerous? Because it appears exactly what you are suggesting. Some would call it scaremongering.

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

So now we have gone from these "kinds of program are often full of adware" to admitting that Portable Apps don't have Adware at all?

Isn't it embarrassing for you to have posted and accused before you even checked?

Are you suggesting that all applications with an exe are dangerous? Because it appears exactly what you are suggesting. Some would call it scaremongering.

I never changed my stance at all i say that all exe files are potentially dangerous. Especially from unknown sources.  You keep telling me that your program does not has it but you have no proof. I also don't have proof that it has. I just say that these kind of things are potential security risks. 

Its embarrassing that you don't have basic understanding of computers and basic reading skills. My point is still the same. And i never said it HAD dangerous code. I said it could have. A few reviews don't mean a thing. You do understand for phsing for example they setup fake sites. Its not to far out to think that makers of dangerous software would also make some sites that say good things about their software. Its not as if a security expert has looked at them.

Again I am not saying it has, im saying its a security risk. Done. 

56 minutes ago, robblok said:

I never changed my stance at all i say that all exe files are potentially dangerous. Especially from unknown sources.  You keep telling me that your program does not has it but you have no proof. I also don't have proof that it has. I just say that these kind of things are potential security risks. 

With so many on edge with malware and viruses these days I try to avoid posting links that invite the downloading of executables even if I know thay are clean.

People can get upset when you question motives. Sometimes its best to ignore the reactions.

Maybe brother Eindhoven will be along soon and you can go a second round  ????

Edited by maxpower
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maxpower said:

With so many on edge with malware and viruses these days I try to avoid posting links that invite the downloading of executables even if I know thay are clean.

People can get upset when you question motives. Sometimes its best to ignore the reactions.

Im not interested in a second round of sparring. My point is and stays the same exe files are potentially dangerous especially from unknown sources. 

Many of these programs certainly do work and a lot of them are safe too. But its best to give a warning so people themselves can decide. I trust stuff from the large names a lot more then those that are written by relatively unknown people. Though these might be really good. Its just im risk averse and have seen in the past the damage these files can do.

For a while one could download exe files to play cracked games. A few times those exe files besides making the illigal game playable did a lot more. (logging ect). People were always warned never to click on exe files in emails. Now all of a sudden someone tries to tell me exe files pose no threat. 

That is totally wrong they all potentially are dangerous. Its a matter of trusting the company / person who wrote it. Even good software sites can be hacked and files replaced with those that have malware added. 

People should be aware of this and make their own choices if they want something and not blindly download. 

I think every connection to a network can be risky. You don't know what any installed software does. No idea for instance how many tracker follow me when I write and send this. And when I install a new software on my PC I always test it in a sandbox and check all changes it does. Can't do the same with Android. Just can hope the best. Even Google had some surprises already with apps in their app store. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldie said:

You don't know what any installed software does.

that's why we have open source software [being ruined by corporations for obvious reasons]

3 hours ago, Oldie said:

No idea for instance how many tracker follow me when I write and send this.

that's why we have uMatrix [being ruined by corporations for obvious reasons]

3 hours ago, Oldie said:

And when I install a new software on my PC I always test it in a sandbox and check all changes it does.

you, sir, are awesome.

Edited by fdsa

1 minute ago, fdsa said:

that's why we have open source software [being ruined by corporations for obvious reasons]

Open source software is a much bigger security risk than any other software

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Susco said:

concerning security - this is a pure speculation, closed source software also has vulnerabilities used for months and years until they get patched.

concerning privacy - open source software is easy to check for trackers and loggers, while closed source software is impossible to check for privacy violations.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, maxpower said:

If I had linked to an .exe he might have a point.

I linked to a webpage with full information about the software. Anyone could do their due diligence on the software before downloading it. Even when you download it, it is downloaded as an archive. You have to un-zip it and then enter a folder to find the executable.

So many opportunities to run due diligence before even attempting to run the portable application.

But robblok in his 'wisdom' replied within one minute, with this incredible diatribe:

Your downloading exactly the <deleted> im talking about. Those kind of programs are often full with addware. (they need to get money from something).

Clearly didn't take note that it was a portable app that expressly has no adware and it widely respected.

He spent the rest of the day trying to cover his tracks, unsuccessfully. So started on about .exe files....even though there is no direct link to an .exe file. So the whole thing could have been checked and scanned beforehand. But he did zero due diligence. Only spouting and arguing over nothing.

11 hours ago, fdsa said:

try this: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.oasisfeng.island.fdroid/

unfortunately I haven't used it myself so can't give a review.

This sounds interesting. On my PC I have software that only exists in sandboxes that I can activate when I need it. Easy also to make a clean uninstall then. But can I trust this app?

On my PC I used sometimes (yes I have to admit I am a bad guy ????) pirated software. But on Android I don't do this anymore.

I don't use my PC much anymore. Before I did a lot video editing. And now I am too old for many games. The games should have a mode for old people... ????

11 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

If I had linked to an .exe he might have a point.

I linked to a webpage with full information about the software. Anyone could do their due diligence on the software before downloading it. Even when you download it, it is downloaded as an archive. You have to un-zip it and then enter a folder to find the executable.

So many opportunities to run due diligence before even attempting to run the portable application.

But robblok in his 'wisdom' replied within one minute, with this incredible diatribe:

Clearly didn't take note that it was a portable app that expressly has no adware and it widely respected.

He spent the rest of the day trying to cover his tracks, unsuccessfully. So started on about .exe files....even though there is no direct link to an .exe file. So the whole thing could have been checked and scanned beforehand. But he did zero due diligence. Only spouting and arguing over nothing.

Again how does portable make an exe file any less dangerous. Please explain that to me. 

Yes you did not link directly to a exe file. But the link was to a zip file with an exe file its the same thing. That people can do due diligence is true. That is why i made the remark. You did not put any warning up nothing. You did not tell them to do due diligence or warn them.

You are the one with limited knowledge my argument stayed the same all the time. Good thing others see it the same way I do. Seems you the odd one out.

Because unlike you i put in a sentence you keep leaving out of my posts. I constantly said I could not be sure neither could you. Meaning people should do their own research. You NEVER ever mentioned something like that you kept on going it was safe.

That sentence on my first post i put there deliberately because your software could be safe too. It could work but people should check for themselves instead of blindly following. You however never even wanted to admit that every exe file is potentially dangerous. You still dont.

Edited by robblok

12 hours ago, Susco said:

Yes and no.. open source more people look at it but more people have a chance to change it too. It just really depends who you download from in general the big names non open source are more safe. The less known ones who knows. We should always do some research.

But i think the big names protect their stuff better, servers can be hacked downloadable files can be changed. I would trust a big company more to have security up then those almost unknown free source things. 

I certainly am not against free source many good programs too. Just have to be careful. Unfortunately most people on Thaivisa are not as computer literate.

The poster who did not agree with me fails to acknowledge this. So a warning is always a good thing.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

But i think the big names protect their stuff better, servers can be hacked downloadable files can be changed. I would trust a big company more to have security up then those almost unknown free source things. 

google:// solarwinds hack password "solarwinds123"

4 minutes ago, fdsa said:

google:// solarwinds hack password "solarwinds123"

Of course there are failings there too, but do you really think that reports of open source of small sites will be reported ? I doubt it no news value. But yes even with big names it can go wrong. You read about data breaches once in a while so it certainly happens. 

Just now, robblok said:

Of course there are failings there too, but do you really think that reports of open source of small sites will be reported ?

when open source websites get hacked and malicious code gets inserted into the software then people instantly see it by changes in version control systems such as git, e.g.: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=454859c552da78b0f587205d308401922b56863e

compared to using closed source programs - no one could see the inserted code except those incompetent interns or indian outstaffed coders who do not give a <deleted> about what's going on inside the code.

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

when open source websites get hacked and malicious code gets inserted into the software then people instantly see it by changes in version control systems such as git, e.g.: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=454859c552da78b0f587205d308401922b56863e

compared to using closed source programs - no one could see the inserted code except those incompetent interns or indian outstaffed coders who do not give a <deleted> about what's going on inside the code.

That is for the bigger open source programs, but those small pieces of software on unknown websites. You never know. Its those what I am talking about. Linux and stuff of course gets checked by many. That is not the same as these small programs that people build and put on the web.

Many are quite useful but they are still a risk because you never know what ones genuinely do what you want and the ones that have added <deleted>. Also often the same software is available at many sites. How do you know you don't get a "edited" version. 

Though there are some download sites that do checks. I prefer those over the unknown websites.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

How do you know you don't get a "edited" version. 

compile it from source code downloaded from the official website or repository?

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Though there are some download sites that do checks. I prefer those over the unknown websites.

and I prefer to download from official websites/repositories only, rather than some obviously adware-infested "free download" websites.

3 minutes ago, fdsa said:

compile it from source code downloaded from the official website or repository?

and I prefer to download from official websites/repositories only, rather than some obviously adware-infested "free download" websites.

Yes exactly what your doing is smart. But only if the official website and repository is safe. That might be the case for popular stuff but not every program from the original site is safe. I also agree about the free download websites with adware (i never use those).

My point was and still is you have to be really careful with downloading and knowing where you download from every executable is a potential risk. People need to be aware of that. People need to think more before they click download and install.

I never said don't download i said be careful get it from the right sources.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:33 PM, Susco said:

Starting today I experience several times already that my PC freeze.

It means everything remains on the screen, but mouse or keyboard don't move any more. There is no blue screen or whatever

Oddly enough my PC started doing the same thing today.

Only when browsing ThaivISA with Slimjet browser (chrome varient).

Changed to Firefox and it doesn't happen.

Looks like v28 has crashes when using tabs, v29 suposedly fixes it.

just updated to v29, hopefully that'll fix it.

Edited by BritManToo

One of my computers started freezing for a few seconds, seemingly at random, sometimes even as long as a minute, also without the BSOD. My computer has two sticks of RAM, and through a bit of experimentation, I discovered that with one of the sticks it doesn't freeze at all, but it does with the other one. I'm not sure if it's helpful, but my problem sounds similar to yours and it was a memory issue.

• Like 2

Try depressing the f8 key then boot up your machine. A screen will appear that gives one the option to do a reset. It will reinstall windows, but it keeps all your files etc. However, it will delete all your apps and added programs. If this does not solve your problem - then at least you will know that it is not a Windows issue.

Alternatively, you could enable safe mode:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=f8+key+windows+10+reset+pc&ei=MQxxYN3uL-X0juMPuommsAE&start=10&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwidy8rCz_LvAhVlumMGHbqECRYQ8NMDegQIARBM&biw=1366&bih=626

Edited by rcuthbert
Grammar

8 hours ago, rcuthbert said:

Try depressing the f8 key then boot up your machine. A screen will appear that gives one the option to do a reset. It will reinstall windows, but it keeps all your files etc. However, it will delete all your apps and added programs. If this does not solve your problem - then at least you will know that it is not a Windows issue.

Alternatively, you could enable safe mode:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=f8+key+windows+10+reset+pc&ei=MQxxYN3uL-X0juMPuommsAE&start=10&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwidy8rCz_LvAhVlumMGHbqECRYQ8NMDegQIARBM&biw=1366&bih=626

It's F2 on my computer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The same issue has reappeared in the past few days.

To refresh people memory, the issue is that the screen freezes. Keyboard or mouse don't respond any more.

I don't get a blue screen of death, only a static browser screen, with the mouse cursor visible, but nothing responds.

It has happened 5 times in the past 3 days, EACH and every time when opening Facebook.

Just a few minutes into Facebook it all locks up, usually when there is a video post on the page.

So maybe flash related? I have the flashblock plus addon enabled in my browser.