I have an enlarged prostrate gland – The Urologist said it was up to me .

Bill Poster

I recently underwent a general hospital health check up package and thankfully the only real issue that was discovered was the enlargement of my prostrate gland the number shown on the results was = Calculated volume 33.9 ml . My only symptoms related to the enlargement of my prostrate gland are that at night once I have gone to sleep , I generally have to get up to urinate 2 – 3 times over the course of the night. 

The urologist said that due to my age ( 70’s ) having an enlarged prostrate gland was very common and one thing that could possibly help was if I took a drug called ( Urief 4mg - SILODOSIN ) ½ a tablet every nigh before going to sleep. The urologist commented that even if I took the Urief 4 mg drug . It may only reduce the number of times that I have to get up during the night to urinate and would not provide a permanent cure for my enlarged prostrate gland .

The final comment the urologist made to me was .................   it was up to me if I wanted to start taking the  ( Urief 4mg ) drug . 

So I’m a bit confused as to why the hospital urologist gave me the choice as to weather I take the ( Urief 4mg ) drug or not. 

I don't see wrong/false information by the doctor.

It's indeed true that your (or my) medicine does not "cure" BPH (the usual abbreviation).

It only relaxes the urinary tract so you can better empty the bladder.

I use a similar medicine (Doxazosin) and can usually sleep for 6 hours without an urge.

What astonishes me is the 33.9 ml at your age.

My values are much worse and I am in the mid 60s.

2 or 3 times per night on the other hand is quite unpleasant.

At your position I would use the medicine and rate the improvement.

I am sure you will get expert advise here on the topic.

Discussed quite often.

• Thanks 2

It's also interesting that the doctor did only prescribe this SILODOSIN  (alpha blocker) and not additionally medicine to slow prostate growth (with more side effects).

So he also seems to consider your value not "alarming" for your age.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I don't see wrong/false information by the doctor.

It's indeed true that your (or my) medicine does not "cure" BPH (the usual abbreviation).

It only relaxes the urinary tract so you can better empty the bladder.

I use a similar medicine (Doxazosin) and can usually sleep for 6 hours without an urge.

What astonishes me is the 33.9 ml at your age.

My values are much worse and I am in the mid 60s.

2 or 3 times per night on the other hand is quite unpleasant.

At your position I would use the medicine and rate the improvement.

I am sure you will get expert advise here on the topic.

Discussed quite often.

Thanks for your comment .

This is the first time I have ever sat in front of a doctor and the doctor said , well its really up to you if you want to take the drug or not. The thought of taking the  ( Urief 4mg )  ½ a tablet every nigh before going to sleep , has crossed my mind just to see if there are any over all improvements . But on the other hand taking any drugs that may not benefit or generate unwanted side effects may be some thing to think about . The doctor after hearing the frequency of my urinating after going to sleep ( 2 -3 ) times , commented that number was not that bad . So my number (  33.9 ml ) could also be considered not that bad ?

4 minutes ago, Bill Poster said:

Its the rest of your life part that is worrying me ????

Don't worry too much with your values.

Just rate the impact on quality of life.

I do not hesitate to take the medicine (alpha blocker).

I am worried about the possible need of surgery for which Thailand is not a good location.

I am worried from the history of my father who did not seek medical help just taking some "supplements".

Ended with a catheter and plastic bag.

Edited by KhunBENQ

There are more medication options than was mentioned to you including some that actually help reduce prostate size.

You need to see another urologist and get a better explanation of your condition. Also, you have nto mentioned the PSA level or results of DRE (manual exam) as one wants to be reasonably sure there is no reason to suspect prostate cancer.

Where in Thailand are you?

When you say you have to get up and pee of a night, can you actually pee or a few drops? I thought prostrate problems meant you get the urge to urinate but not much happens. Im also up a few times to pee but I drink a lot of water.

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

When you say you have to get up and pee of a night, can you actually pee or a few drops? I thought prostrate problems meant you get the urge to urinate but not much happens. Im also up a few times to pee but I drink a lot of water.

Weeing many times is an indication of a full bladder you can't empty because the urinary tract is blocked.

You have a constantly full bladder and you can only release the over pressure, so wee many times.

Eventually your bladder will stretch to the size of a football.

The fact that it is up to you, is a positive sign that the doctor does not consider it serious.. you can also keep a <deleted> bottle next to your bed so you don't have to get up.. if it does get more serious they can "roto-rooter" you and drill it out... which also can lead to complications but the swollen prostate is very common.. 

Sounds like good advice... 

On 3/30/2021 at 9:50 PM, Bill Poster said:

Thanks for your comment .

This is the first time I have ever sat in front of a doctor and the doctor said , well its really up to you if you want to take the drug or not. The thought of taking the  ( Urief 4mg )  ½ a tablet every nigh before going to sleep , has crossed my mind just to see if there are any over all improvements . But on the other hand taking any drugs that may not benefit or generate unwanted side effects may be some thing to think about . The doctor after hearing the frequency of my urinating after going to sleep ( 2 -3 ) times , commented that number was not that bad . So my number (  33.9 ml ) could also be considered not that bad ?

Urief can cause retrograde ejaculation. I took a similar tablet when I had a kidney stone. A family member had some urief so I tried one of those. The effect on ejaculation was very strong and not all that pleasant. So that's something to consider. 

Endless problems,years and years I put up with it,so I had the op  Couple of the young guns who actually did the op,one stated how difficult life must have been for me,the other never has he operated on one so enlarged,...could believe him as a audience of dozens of gowned up doctors there in op room watching the procedure,app a camera inside too

Few years ago now,India,flew in,CT scan, day after,with 6 hour delay to let all the far flung medics to gather

Try Ruby hospital Calcutta,international hospital,plain speaking,couple of hours away,had my op the other side of India,liked Goa

On 3/31/2021 at 6:46 AM, BritManToo said:

Weeing many times is an indication of a full bladder you can't empty because the urinary tract is blocked.

You have a constantly full bladder and you can only release the over pressure, so wee many times.

Eventually your bladder will stretch to the size of a football.

but how much are you urinating at a guess? dribble or 200ml etc?

On 3/31/2021 at 6:33 AM, Kenny202 said:

I agree i get up several times a night and have done since my 30s, now 51, usually a long hard <deleted>. Had prostate checked a couple times and not enlarged

4 hours ago, izod10 said:

Try Ruby hospital Calcutta,international hospital,plain speaking,couple of hours away,had my op the other side of India,liked Goa

Currently due to Covid situation difficult isn't it?

On 3/30/2021 at 8:54 PM, Bill Poster said:

( Urief 4mg - SILODOSIN )

If you have problems with that, follow advise of sheryl and ask for other/additional medication.

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Currently due to Covid situation difficult isn't it?

If you have problems with that, follow advise of sheryl and ask for other/additional medication.

Can get medical visa for there

comes a time no medication is sufficient

On 3/30/2021 at 9:51 PM, Bill Poster said:

Its the rest of your life part that is worrying me ????

Don't be worried.  It's a function of your age (mine too nearly).  Its an inconvenience, nothing more and taking yet one more drug to 'cure' an inconvenience is madness.  Live with it.   I find that the older I get the more than the medicos want to stuff me full of this and that drug.  I take no regular medicines whatsoever, just vitamin and mineral supplements and I use the local Chinese Medicine Pharmacy for common aliments such as colds and headaches.  I feel much better for it.