Foreigners stranded in Thailand due to COVID-19 can now stay until end of July

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

visa.JPG.77d990306c3739ba7b6ea609cd98d88

Image: Reuters file photo

The Thai Immigration Bureau has announced that foreigners who are still stranded in Thailand due to the COVID-19 situation have until the end of May to extend their stay permission to remain in the country.

This reads as a very insensitive. Thai government still worried about insignificant nonsense like this as their economy crumbles and the global virus waves continue in much of the world. Very bad look for them. Very small-minded. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

I wouldn't have thought many Farang are still stranded in Thailand, would have thought most Countries in the world operated a repatriation for there citizens, or allowed flights to enter over the last 12 months.. 

Supposedly, there are quite a number of Aussies stranded overseas, though I could not guess how many of them are in Thailand: 

Australian government hit with UN complaint over leaving stranded Aussies overseas (news.com.au)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gt162 said:

Yes. Better then nothing. At least Thai Immigration gets 1900 baht per extension every 2 months and Thais gets foreign money coming in to support the economy.

Bhat is weakening and tourism industry is suffering badly. It's all about the money. 

It is always about the money, not only in Thailand. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

Was at Jomtien immigration yesterday to do my 90 day report (online 90 day reporting system down again) and to my surprise there was a large line up in the afternoon. I guess now I know why. Agree, very stressful for those who are legitimately stranded here. I felt the stress and tension in the air just lining up in the heat.  The immigration office was packed and a great incubator for covid19.  Not a positive experience, the separating of the 90 day reporters from the pack and leaving them outside had been abandoned.   As to Thaivisa posters who think this will be last time the  covid19 stranded forreigners will have their visas extended, I think you are being overly optimistic. Opening the borders in July, dream on. Letting lose a horde of vacinnated foreigners on an unvacccinated Thai population is unthinkable. Jus my opinion.

If you think they are stranded here you are fooling yourself. People have been going and coming for over 6 months. English guy living here in Chiang Mai for a few years decided he needed a trip and off he goes a few days ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

And to think idiots like me left when they said in no uncertain terms that we must leave by ___. ????????

Who told you to leave? If you are a tourist, then yes, you should have left asap. Noone else on a long stay visa was asked to leave. 

Edited by DavisH

9 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

To be honest, nearly no-one is stranded here anymore

To be honest, I don't understand what nearly no one means? Are you saying many can travel home but for some it is still difficult so they have extended the covid visa ?