Cambodia ‘among lowest in the world for tech startups’

geovalin

Cambodia ranked number 176 in the world in an index measuring the best places in the world to launch a tech startup, according to the first Draper Innovation Index (DII).

Thailand ranked 71, Vietnam scored 160 and Laos 220. Two of the top three regions were in Asia, with Singapore ranking second and Hong Kong third. Draper’s index registers 228 countries and regions  The DII analysed metrics including cryptocurrency friendliness, inbound foreign direct investments and venture capital momentum.

Richard Yim, founder of Demining Robotics, founded to empower people with “freedom to walk” through its Jevit robot, which successfully excavated its first explosive last year, said:  “Cambodia should deserve a better ranking than 176. The time to build a minimum viable product and go to market in Cambodia is very short and can rival other countries around the world.”

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50832303/cambodia-among-lowest-in-the-world-for-tech-startups/

And yet, in 2013, when I went to PP looking for work in the IT arena, I was impressed with how many start-up companies there were, and the fact that they were so intent on training locals to the highest levels.

What's changed, I wonder?

6 hours ago, wombat said:

given what the agenda of Pol Pot was, it comes as no surprise  

Right. As everyone knows Pol Pot spent a lot of time considering "cryptocurrency friendliness, inbound foreign direct investments and venture capital momentum."

I think the time to blame him as an easy excuse for the state of the country today ran out years ago.

5 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

Right. As everyone knows Pol Pot spent a lot of time considering "cryptocurrency friendliness, inbound foreign direct investments and venture capital momentum."

I think the time to blame him as an easy excuse for the state of the country today ran out years ago.

Well, he did kill off most of the educated classes, who obviously didn't produce very many more intelligent citizens.

I saw a documentary about the Khmer Rouge era, in it an American diplomat reckoned that it will take 100 years for Cambodia to fully recover from less than 4 years of that regime. It must take the gene pool a long time to recover from that.

People are surprised to learn that about the land of double-digit IQ? 

@VBF  You can show people how to do things -- if they bother to turn up to work -- , but you can't do it for them. 

The most non-punctual, self-focused, poorly skilled, and immature people I have employed on four continents.  Seriously poor work ethics, no concept of accountability, questionable business ethics and serious honesty issues. 

40 years of almost limitless grants, gifts, and donations has been wasted. The last "success" in Cambodia was when the Vietnamese went charging through the place. Ever since it has been a black hole for money as Western governments attempt to cover up what a cluster<deleted> the the place is and what a failure Paris was. All that Paris did was see the Khmer Rouge swap their black pyjamas for Armani suits and a patriarchal dictatorship cemented into place.   

14 hours ago, Yme said:

@VBF  You can show people how to do things -- if they bother to turn up to work -- , but you can't do it for them. 

The most non-punctual, self-focused, poorly skilled, and immature people I have employed on four continents.  Seriously poor work ethics, no concept of accountability, questionable business ethics and serious honesty issues. 

40 years of almost limitless grants, gifts, and donations has been wasted. The last "success" in Cambodia was when the Vietnamese went charging through the place. Ever since it has been a black hole for money as Western governments attempt to cover up what a cluster<deleted> the the place is and what a failure Paris was. All that Paris did was see the Khmer Rouge swap their black pyjamas for Armani suits and a patriarchal dictatorship cemented into place.   

Well your comment that included    ".....non-punctual, self-focused, poorly skilled............"  wasn't my experience.

Maybe that answers my partly rhetorical question, maybe not.

I will admit that never having lived there (although I wanted to) my experience of Cambodia is fairly limited.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:37 AM, Andrew65 said:

Well, he did kill off most of the educated classes, who obviously didn't produce very many more intelligent citizens.

I saw a documentary about the Khmer Rouge era, in it an American diplomat reckoned that it will take 100 years for Cambodia to fully recover from less than 4 years of that regime. It must take the gene pool a long time to recover from that.

Having lived in both Thailand & here in Cambodia now, honestly, I don't see such a big difference.

Here, the new generation is quite smart though but you have to have the (financial) support of your family to pursue further education and you can't be the nail that sticks out.

in anyway, the OP isn't focussing on the local skilled worker pool, except for calling them "a promising workforce..." but this being the negative place that TV often is, posters wish to zero in on that which they can write&rant about.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

Having lived in both Thailand & here in Cambodia now, honestly, I don't see such a big difference.

Here, the new generation is quite smart though but you have to have the (financial) support of your family to pursue further education and you can't be the nail that sticks out.

in anyway, the OP isn't focussing on the local skilled worker pool, except for calling them "a promising workforce..." but this being the negative place that TV often is, posters wish to zero in on that which they can write&rant about.

Having spent quite a bit of time myself in Cambodia, one noticeable thing. It seems that amongst the people who we're likely to meet day-to-day, waitresses, taxi drivers etc, I'd say that English language skills are better there than in Thailand. (I'm not talking about graduates).

• Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 10:17 AM, Yme said:

Created a tech start-up in Cambodia, did you, with uni graduates?