Smart cars do it again - Korean fraudster on overstay nabbed in Bangkok

webfact

2pmB.jpg

Picture: Immigration Bureau

Thailand's immigration bureau once again praised the capabilities of their now famous fleet of (BMW) smart cars.

They are used to apprehend criminals especially foreigners hiding out in Thailand who are wanted abroad.

The latest case as reported by the IB themselves online featured a South Korean man called Song Jae.

The South Korean embassy in Thailand had contacted the IB to say that the suspect was wanted in their country for being part of a call center gang who posed as state officials to defraud the public out of hundreds of millions of won (worth nine million baht in Thai money).

The suspect was also named on an Interpol Red Notice. 

Utilizing the 2 billion baht biometrics system it was discovered that the suspect had entered Thailand on March 6th last year.

Then about December it was discovered that he was staying in Pattaya. 

Investigations there were a little late as the suspect had already fled to Bangkok.

Enter the capabilities of the smart car.

Officers utilized one to make the arrest at a condominium in the On Nut area of the Thai capital.

The suspect was found to be the one named on the Red Notice and he was also on overstay of 287 days. 

He was booked for the overstay and taken into custody ahead of his deportation back to South Korea.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-31

The attached is a real "smart" car in Australia equipped with onboard speed camera, number plate recognition system linked to central registration and licencing. Linked computer listing outstanding warants  against felons. Several radio systems even monitoring CB radios.  A BMW with a laptop doesn't really compare!

police car.jpg

• Like 1

I am a bit confused, did the smart car take the lift or the stairs to this guy's apartment?

Never mind, when air travel is eased, the rest of the world will be beating a path to Thailand

to learn the skills of the TIB.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Laughable init, the magic smart car, absolute nonsense, they are just trying to justify the expensive of those cars by coming up with this BS.

The computer system tracked him down, only used 1 of the cars to go and get him.

Yep same thing can be done with office computer /laptop and Motocy. .

It just sounds Impressive BMW shopping trolly.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 9:32 AM, colinneil said:

Laughable init, the magic smart car, absolute nonsense, they are just trying to justify the expensive of those cars by coming up with this BS.

The computer system tracked him down, only used 1 of the cars to go and get him.

You fall for it every single time Colin.  Clickbait TVF headlines to get you all frothing.  They are so obvious it is laughable but not as laughable as you guys who get all in a tizz each and every time.

Read the actual Immigration bureau release that they are referring to and link to.  They detail the arrest of three people (including a Thai murder suspect).  Not once do they "praise the capabilities of their now famous fleet of (BMW) smart cars.".   Not once, not at all, they are not even mentioned in the article.  That is a TVF headline to get you lot posting your nonsense replies without doing a single click of research, then to get people posting replies to replies so TVF get more traffic and more advertising revenue.  And hey, it works, here I am! 

No doubt this story will go on to generate many more replies with similar predictable comments denigrating Thais and Thailand, all thanks to a headline writer who knows exactly how to get you lot clicking.  You can see the clickbait headlines a mile away; normally I skip them but sometimes I pop my head in just to see everyone falling for it - it never disappoints.

Laughable innit.

• Sad 2

So they "tracked him down". The smart car headline is just total BS as we all know. Nothing to do with a car. Depending on the trail he left how was he located in a city of over 10 million people? No mention of the following: Did he use a registered cell phone? Was he using a payment card that could be linked to him? Did someone inform on him?

I have a different theory. In my neigbourhood there has been a proliferation of new street CCTV cameras (not just privately owned security cameras). These are on poles on every corner and at many points along the roads and sois. From the local BTS to my home there are at least 12 cameras along a distance of only 280 metres! My bet would be that the Thai authorities are using facial recognition to locate people. Not much is said about this subject however we all know how friendly Thailand is with a certain other country that uses this technology. See this artical from Aseantoday.com from Jan 2020.

• Sad 1