TOT Fiber 2U maxed out at 100mb

Bubbha

I have TOT Fiber 2U at my home office. The speed my plan provides is for 500mb down and 500mb up. However, speed tests show that I max out at 100 for both down and up.

I have googled around a bit and there are some forums that say Windows 10 might be blocking access to speeds above 100mb.

Does anyone have any advice?  Thanks…

I had the same issue when I updated to the 400/400 plan. Turns out the Lan cables were not up to the higher speed and the router I use also did not have gigabit speed ports so I had to upgrade cables and router,,,,,,,now it's fine at 400 speeds

• Like 1

Is this over a wired ethernet conenction? Or WiFi?

Is this a new issue? Did it work acceptably before?

Ethernet adapter is probably 10/100. You'd need 10/100/1000 to get to 500 Mbps.

Also could be a cable issue, get a known, good, working CAT 5e or Cat 6 cable.

Lastly, could be the router, maybe it just has 10/100 ports? What is the router make and model?

More details would be awesome.

44 minutes ago, Bubbha said:

Many thanks for these very helpful replies. I am away from my home/office for the remainder of today but will reply with the requested info soonest.

As others have noted above, your connection is only going to be as fast as the slowest link in your chain of various elements involved.

--So, you have to be using a quality Ethernet cable that supports Gig speeds, like Cat 5A or 6 or better.

--Your PC has to have a Gigabit ethernet adapter, not just LAN, which maxes out at 100 Mbps.

--And if any wifi adapters are involved, they too would need to support speeds that match your TOT fiber capability, which pretty much means AC standard and not the older N variety.

So to summarize what others have said:

--> the fiber modem capability: (WiFi should have 5G spec 802.11 n, ac or newer); the ethernet LAN port should support 1 Gbps (1,000Mbps) connections.   

If you are using fiber modem from ISP, good chance it support minimum 5G 802.11ac wifi + 1Gbps LAN  If you are using your own modem and/or router(s), then it should have minimum specs above.

--> computer network card:  wifi 5g + 802.11n, ac, or newer spec); ethernet LAN port 1 Gbps.

--> ethernet LAN cable:  CAT 5e or CAT6 or higher spec in good condition. 

I suspect either your modem/computer lan port is only 100Mbps max.  Or you are using CAT5 cable, which is maximum 100Mbps.

Go to Advice, JIB, BananaIt, LazMall, or other proper IT shop and get the correct cable.   And make sure to have a couple of meters extra.   So if you will average 7 meters away from router, get the 10m cable.....or even 15m cable so you can expand later.

Your plan is probably a 500Mb/s plan so your maximum download speed is 62.5MB/s.

The confusion is because ISPs put their plans in Mb/s (megabits per second) and web browsers display it as MB/s (megabytes per second). 8 bits = 1 byte.

Responses to all of the comments and suggestions –

I have a Dell laptop – XP 15 9570 X 64 bit with an I7 processor and CPU 2.20 GHz. The computer is a little over two years old (December 2018).

When I open up Settings and look at the Ethernet Link Speed, the  (Receive/Transmit) value is 100/100 Mbps. Looks like this is at least part of the problem.

Do I need to upgrade to a Gigabit adapter?

For Wifi – I have the following –Protocol – Wifi 5 (802.11ac), Network Band – 5Ghz, and Link Speed (Receive/Transmit) 433/433 Mbps.

It looks like Wifi capacity is limited (433) as well.  Do I also need to upgrade the Wifi?

The LAN cables are labeled as CAT5 – but I am unsure of their quality. They were provided by TOT when they ran fiber optic cable into my condo building 5 years ago.

Looks like I will need to replace these with CAT 5e or CAT 6?

The router does not seem to have a brand name (see picture). It was provide by TOT.

I have the ethernet connected to a port sharing device which is then connected to the Thunderbolt port (see picture). Perhaps this set-up is slowing down the connection?

It seems like my starting point should be upgrading the ethernet port and the Wifi hardware?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

20210401_112717.thumb.jpg.14a782198b11321f3935e19ceb0859e1.jpg20210401_112749.thumb.jpg.feea435dc2016cd1812fe7f1ef8231be.jpg20210401_112646.thumb.jpg.aaf66969693556f517af39f099232449.jpg

10 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Why not utilise WiFi whilst you are uprading the Ethernet connection?

When I use Wifi instead of ethernet, my speed is till maxed out at 100/100 (plus or minus).

This is measured using the TOT speed test website.

This is strange, as the Wifi connection speed shows 433 

28 minutes ago, Bubbha said:

When I use Wifi instead of ethernet, my speed is till maxed out at 100/100 (plus or minus).

1) Do you actually disconnect the ethernet cable and retest with only wifi?

(or temporarily disable the ethernet connection in the  Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections panel)

Snag_84642e7f.png.5d71e7d951e70882e9b2d78ba912df82.png

2) To test LAN speed, try plugging the ethernet cable from the fiber modem directly into your laptop.  If your laptop does not have ethernet port, use CalDigit (whatever that dock with ethernet port is).

I'm assuming that cable is CAT 5e.  If it is not, test with a 5e or 6 cable.

3) when you call technician to come and test, what do the results on their laptop show you?

Edited by 4evermaat
add photo screenshot

20 minutes ago, Bubbha said:

This is measured using the TOT speed test website.

This is strange, as the Wifi connection speed shows 433 

Did you unplug the Ethernet connection when you utilised WiFi? 

Anyway, it still looks like you will need to change the Router.

48 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

1) Do you actually disconnect the ethernet cable and retest with only wifi?

(or temporarily disable the ethernet connection in the  Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections panel)

2) To test LAN speed, try plugging the ethernet cable from the fiber modem directly into your laptop.  If your laptop does not have ethernet port, use CalDigit (whatever that dock with ethernet port is).

I'm assuming that cable is CAT 5e.  If it is not, test with a 5e or 6 cable.

3) when you call technician to come and test, what do the results on their laptop show you?

2 hours ago, Bubbha said:

The router does not seem to have a brand name (see picture). It was provide by TOT.

Look at the bottom, for make and model no.

If you're still getting maxed at 100 Mbps, over WiFi with the ethernet cable unplugged, then TOT has not provisioned your line correctly. They may have it set up as 100/100 instead of 500/500, common technician error, wrong radio button selected. Call to confirm.

Can't tell if the router supports GbE, it should if it's newish. Need the make and model no. to be sure.

Cable looks like Cat 5.

So this PC does NOT have an ethernet port, I guess?

That hub thingy is suspect, even with a GbE port and a Cat6 cable, no clue if it's specced to support GbE through that Dell connector? Update all drivers, inclduing the Dell Thunerbolt driver.

Kind of a mess, maybe just go with WiFi?

Edited by mtls2005

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Look at the bottom, for make and model no.

If you're still getting maxed at 100 Mbps, over WiFi with the ethernet cable unplugged, then TOT has not provisioned your line correctly. They may have it set up as 100/100 instead of 500/500, common technician error, wrong radio button selected. Call to confirm.

Can't tell if the router supports GbE, it should if it's newish. Need the make and model no. to be sure.

Cable looks like Cat 5.

So this PC does NOT have an ethernet port, I guess?

That hub thingy is suspect, even with a GbE port and a Cat6 cable, no clue if it's specced to support GbE through that Dell connector? Update all drivers, inclduing the Dell Thunerbolt driver.

Kind of a mess, maybe just go with WiFi?

no clue if it's specced to support GbE through that Dell connector?

That is for what it is designed.

Edited by Eindhoven

Can you also look on the bottom of the ONT, for a make and model number. That's the box which terminates fiber and uplinks ethernet to your router.

If your router is five years old it may well not support GbE, but the make/model will allow one to figure that out.

You definitely need some Cat 5e or Cat6 cables.

The ONT's ethernet connection may support GbE, so with a good cable, you could connect that directly to your thunderbolt hub and test.

If the ONT supports GbE then you could get your own, new router, ~2,000-ish for a mod-range unit. Or ask TOT to supply a new router.

Newer Huawei ONTs like the HUAWEI HG8310M support 10/100/1000 on the ethernet port.

I think there may be some standardization re: ethernet connector colors, i.e. blue for WAN, orange for 10/100, yellow for 10/100/1000, but don't hold me to that.

tot-ont.jpg

19 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you also look on the bottom of the ONT, for a make and model number. That's the box which terminates fiber and uplinks ethernet to your router.

The unit is a Huawei EchoLife HG8010H - GPON Terminal

The modem I am using is a D-Link DIR-809

Yesterday, I replaced the old (TOT provided) CAT 5 cables with CAT 6.E.

My speed is still capped out at 100. 

Thanks for your advice.

11 minutes ago, Bubbha said:

I think this is your issue.

According to the specs here, it supports "fast ethernet" which (usually) means 100 Mbps.  You need to replace this unit with a better one.

Specs say:  Four 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN ports

So this is limiting your throughput, at least on the wired ethernet side.

Still want to hear speedtest results using WiFi with that hub thingy turned off, unplugged from PC. Specs (router) say: 2.4 GHz/300 Mbps, and 5 GHz/433 Mbps. You'd need a 5 GHz WiFi-capable device of course.

The unit is a Huawei EchoLife HG8010H - GPON Terminal

This ONT does have one 10/100/1000 ethernet port, so if you can find a Cat6 cable, connect that to your hub, and test.

So you could source your own router. We have used the TP-Link Archer C6 in a few installations, works well. ~ 1,200-ish

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/archer-c6-ac1200-wireless-mu-mimo-gigabit-routerivoryitshop-i306006848.html

Edited by mtls2005

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Still want to hear speedtest results using WiFi with that hub thingy turned off, unplugged from PC. Specs (router) say: 2.4 GHz/300 Mbps, and 5 GHz/433 Mbps. You'd need a 5 GHz WiFi-capable device of course.

With the hub thingy disconnected, the wifi speed remains at +/- 100.

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This ONT does have one 10/100/1000 ethernet port, so if you can find a Cat6 cable, connect that to your hub, and test.

I replaced the TOT issued CAT 5 cables with CAT 6 yesterday.  I am still stuck at a speed of 100.

I am beginning to think the hub thingy might be a limitation. Or at least I would like to eliminate this possibility. So as a next step, I plan to buy an ethernet to USB3 adapter with a 1 GB capacity.

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Specs say:  Four 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN ports

So it looks like the modem is also a bottleneck. When I called TOT to ask about this they insisted that the speed limiting problem was with the computer. 

TOT are advertising several 1 GB plans, which would very likely require a new modem. So I think I might have them come to upgrade the modem for one of the new 1 GB plans (1/200, 1/500 and 1/700). 

54 minutes ago, Bubbha said:

With the hub thingy disconnected, the wifi speed remains at +/- 100.

This is curious, and tells me the service is provisioned at 100/100. Up and Down are exactly 100 Mbps? Both?

Can you do a speedtest with say a mobile phone? Some other WiFi device?

I replaced the TOT issued CAT 5 cables with CAT 6 yesterday.  I am still stuck at a speed of 100.

Can you connect the ONT directly to the hub with the new Cat 6 cable, and test.

So as a next step, I plan to buy an ethernet to USB3 adapter with a 1 GB capacity.

Waste of time at this point.

So it looks like the modem is also a bottleneck.

What modem? You mean the D-Link router? If so, then yes, it is.

Edited by mtls2005

43 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This is curious, and tells me the service is provisioned at 100/100. Up and Down are exactly 100 Mbps? Both?

Up and Down are both very close to 100 - plus or minus a few points (97-103).

46 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you do a speedtest with say a mobile phone? Some other WiFi device?

Same result - (TOT speed test) maxed out close to 100 (using a two year old Samsung phone). I also used a 7 year old Lenovo computer with both ethernet and Wifi and get the same result (+/-100)

48 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you connect the ONT directly to the hub with the new Cat 6 cable, and test.

I did this. This way of connecting would not allow an internet connection, but under Properties, the link speed indicated 1GB (1000 MB)

50 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

1 hour ago, Bubbha said:

So as a next step, I plan to buy an ethernet to USB3 adapter with a 1 GB capacity.

Waste of time at this point.

I agree - the D-Link modem/router seems to be the bottleneck

50 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

What modem? You mean the D-Link router? If so, then yes, it is.

Agree - so TOT gives me a plan for 500/500 and a modem/router with a capacity of 100/100. 

Time to replace the D-Link device...

On 4/1/2021 at 1:19 PM, 4evermaat said:

Have you tried connecting with CAT 5e/6 cables from fiber modem directly into your computer?   Or with a friend's laptop?

Also, when the TOT tech comes to your house, what does the speedtest results show on their devices?  

When 3bb comes to the house, they show their speedtest results on their mobile + laptop devices.

1 minute ago, 4evermaat said:

Have you tried connecting with CAT 5e/6 cables from fiber modem directly into your computer? 

I think that GPON (fiber modem) is in Bridge mode (It can function as a router), as it is connected to another router - just my guess. You/tech could set it back to router mode, but you'd need the configuration details and PPPoE credentials.

Sounds like the OP is getting a new router so that should soleve any issues.

• Thanks 1

Hello, 

I am in the same situation than the OP; I just ordered  a Lan cable Cat  6; my modem is a 5-in-1 N300 Wi-Fi Router Z Edimax

I have not seen where is this story of 10/100 fast Ethernet Lan  port

does TOT  give a new modem  or do I have to buy an other one myself ? 

Thanks 

Edited by Aforek

Our TOT provided router is a Huawei HG8245H which has 4 x 1Gbs ethernet ports.

Your D-Link DIR-809 appears to have 4 x 10/100Mbs ethernet ports which will be a limiting factor. Plus 1 x 10/100 WAN port which is plugged in to the modem which will limit the WiFi to 100Mbs even if it connects at 433Mbs.

New router needed.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Aforek said:

Hello, 

I am in the same situation than the OP; I just ordered  a Lan cable Cat  6; my modem is a 5-in-1 N300 Wi-Fi Router Z Edimax

I have not seen where is this story of 10/100 fast Ethernet Lan  port

does TOT  give a new modem  or do I have to buy an other one myself ? 

Thanks 

What package have you bought from TOT?

Your router will only handle only handle upto 300Mbps.

If this is a new package with TOT they will give you a new wifi router which is perfectly fine for most users.

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Sounds like the OP is getting a new router so that should soleve any issues.

Yes, I plan to call TOT tomorrow to get a new plan (and router).

Their best plans offer 1 GB/700MG for 900 Baht per month - or 1GB/500MG for 700 Baht per month.

Do you think the higher cost plan is worthwhile?

44 minutes ago, Bubbha said:

Yes, I plan to call TOT tomorrow to get a new plan (and router).

Their best plans offer 1 GB/700MG for 900 Baht per month - or 1GB/500MG for 700 Baht per month.

Do you think the higher cost plan is worthwhile?

Do you need such a high upload speed? Unless there is a contention issue involved, why no just go for the Home package 1GB/200MB @ 590 baht?

Edit: I note that you wrote "home office".

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1