Ban Dan Lan Hoi district

Ban Mai Guy

Hi folks I was just wondering if there was anyone on here from the Lan Hoi district ? My wife and I have a house in Ban Mai about 30 minutes from Lan Hoi and I do not see many expats up in that area.  The ones I do see seem to keep to themselves and don't seem to want to socialize.

Just curious. ????

Ban Dan Lan Hoi is 16 kilos from where we live,  I think you're find that in out the way places like that you won't find many expats about.

Ban Mai is near Phitsanulok isn't it? 

New Sukhothai has a few expats and Phitsanulok has a lot more, the bigger the town it seems the more falangies.

I am one of 4 falangies in the Old City ( Muang Kao ) village but we don't socialize at all we have nothing in common. 

I go Kiri Mat to see some friends mostly one is a motorcycle pal but stuck in UK at moment. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thanks 1

The part of Ban Mai where my wife and I are at is just over the line in Tak. Ban Dan Lan Hoi is about a 30 minute drive from where we are. I, think Phitsanulok is about an hour and a half from our house. I, have stayed in Muang Kao a couple times at the a small resort I think it was Naracha Resort. I, have met a couple expats in my wife's village. Last year I met a guy from S. Africa which was nice as he spoke English and we seem to hit it off pretty good to the point where we still stay in touch from time to time. Unfortunately he's not up there on this visit. I, have seen a few older guys up there I think from Denmark, Germany, and Sweden but they tend to stay to themselves. I only speak English (I'm from the US)so probably not much in common there.

Yeah many people living here are different as I'm sure you've noticed, I'm English and been here 16 years. 

Most of my friends are not English, the 2 which are, are younger than me and still work UK and 6 months at a time obviously the C19 put a hold on that. 

The friends I have motorcycle ride out to see are 1 Finland and 2 Switzerland.

There's a Italian guy, German guy,  Norway guy in our village but we just wave if I ever see them, I see more of my Thai friends some of the time. 

I'm friends with a Thai family that have a restaurant in the village  where I have a beer,  I call it Pub 7. ????

I, guess we are all a little different here. I, know I am. It's a nice change from being in the states. I'm much more relaxed. I, tend to go a little stir crazy not being able to understand anyone for a period of time. I, do have a few Thai friends in the village but communicating is tough. We do have a good time getting Mow Mak though.

I understand your plight! I am in a small village near Sangkhlaburi, nowhere near you i'm afraid, where there is only 1 farang in a 40 Km radius (me).

Before we moved here we agreed that once a month we would need to go on a trip which we did till Covid put the kibosh on that. Now however it's not too bad we went to Hua Hin for a few weeks and planning a trip to Pattaya soon after Songkran finishes.

I have only ever seen 2 farang in my village and both were lost, looking for a retreat centre up the road which hosts farang who  can't talk, eat meat or go outside for 2 weeks.

We have been in the village 4 years primarily to care for her father and step mother who have both now departed, so we plan to move to a rental somewhere we like for 6 to 12 months. I love the village life 90% of the time but it does get boring, even the wife is bored which surprised me.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I, know the feeling about getting board in the village. It kind of gets to me after a while. I,  am only here for a couple months and just built a house so unfortunately I will be up there for the duration of my stay. I would like to take a holiday somewhere else but it is just not in the budget this time. My wife has been here for over a year and if we didn't build the house I probably wouldn't have come back to bring her back home to the US. I, figured with all the money spent and headaches I wanted to enjoy and see the fruits of my labor. Next time we will hit the islands for sure.

• Like 1