Constipation - a 'Thailand side-effect'

aldriglikvid

Hi guys, 

I love spending 7-9 months per year in Thailand but I have one concern that 'haunts me'. For some reason, that I can't identify, I'm more or less always constipated in when I'm in Thailand. A daily bowel movement is now changed to once every 3 or 4 days. While it might sound funny on the surface (you can send all the jokes ???? ), it starting to take a mental and physical toll. 

I don't want to go with medical laxatives as it's not a long term solution. Any other ideas? I tried to double water intake, limit or excluding white rice, haven't drinked alcohol in 5 years. 

What do you believe is that I have a deficit of, as soon as I settle in Thailand? (That I doesn't have in Northern Europe).  

14 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Because you sweat a lot. Solution: eat at least one big papaya every day.

Yes that sounds right,eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies.Meat can also plug you up,egg plant works opposite.

• Like 1

I, have the same problem but then again it goes from one extreme to the other. My wife will usually ask if the food is good when we go out to eat I tell her I'll let her know by morning..lol. 

I, guess you could always drink a big glass of tap water...joking..????

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, carlyai said:

You can buy that Sunkiss brand I think, unsweetened Prune juice. They give you lots of prune juice in hospital after anasthetic. I see it in Tesco Lotus for B199 a bottle. At the market B140.

I know you said you don't want laxatives and there is a Stool Softener table. That's what they're called Stool Softners. Don't seem to be able to get them in the country but a big city may have them. Stool softners and prune juice take that high pitched scream away after major surgery caused concrete to form in you bottom.

To get the same fibre as 1/2 cup of All-Bran you would need to drink almost a litre of prune juice together with it's 100 grams or 25 teaspoons of sugar.

• Like 1

You can buy packaged prunes (easier to carry around than prune juice, and tastes better!) at any supermarket. Eat about 3-4 pieces each night before bed, should do the trick.

And as others have said, drink more water and in general eat more fiber.

• Like 1

Apart from diet, changes in your daily exercise can be a cause of problems. Seems to work that way for me, If I'm lazy ...

If you're used to plenty of exercise in northern Europe, then a reduced regime here might be a an issue (because of heat, poor possibilities for distance walking, access to gym ... ).

• Like 1

cooked bamboo, my man!   or as the locals call it, "naw mai" 

but take heed when poopie-poppin your bamboo cherry.  i took 6 sticks my first time, and soon after dropped half my pancreas. 

been chasing that high ever since, though i must say the movement's still strong.

• Haha 1

Had all of the above, usually all bran, prunes, fruit, plenty of water, papaya etc . Even lactulose ends up not working, same for senokot or and bisolax etc. Problem with psyllium is if you take too much it can block you up more. However I find combined with other ingredients the powders like the Nuui prune powder is the best, Fiberly Donut is another one they are both based on psyllium. If the worst comes to the worst the 10 baht enemas from 7/11 normally do the trick, can be a bit tricky to use though.

• Like 1

never have that problem here, but try drinking far more water and as others have said, some fruit ever day. i would stay clear of medication until you have tried the natural approach as they can de hydrate and cause you real problems in a hot climate. 

On 3/31/2021 at 12:20 PM, tifino said:

find a pharmacy that sells Metamucil or Fibrogel.

The Fibrogel usually available there as a 10 sachets pack... 

I wouldn't ask for Fibrogel since the answer would be "no hab". You'd have more chances with Fybogel. 

7 hours ago, JackGats said:
On 3/31/2021 at 4:20 PM, tifino said:

find a pharmacy that sells Metamucil or Fibrogel.

The Fibrogel usually available there as a 10 sachets pack... 

I wouldn't ask for Fibrogel since the answer would be "no hab". You'd have more chances with Fybogel. 

well... it took me until the third pharmacy to get results, but all I did was to ask for it 'phonetically' - I'd have shown them a Label if I'd still had an old empty sachet on me...   Thinking back, the only thing I wrote down on a piece of paper to try to break the ice, was the generic 'psyillium' term 

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried the Thai herbal laxative, Radompon?  Thais swear by it and so do I.  I have been on a keto way of eating for 4 years now and do occasionally get blocked up and this stuff works every time

Tastes awful  but within an hour, you're on the move!  ???? 

Radompon.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, tifino said:

well... it took me until the third pharmacy to get results, but all I did was to ask for it 'phonetically' - I'd have shown them a Label if I'd still had an old empty sachet on me...   Thinking back, the only thing I wrote down on a piece of paper to try to break the ice, was the generic 'psyillium' term 

So much easier these days.  Just say the name of what you want into Google on your smartphone and you'll get a picture of what you're seeking.

Great at the neighborhood hardware store: " Four inch angle bracket"  No pantomimes, no drawing pictures.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2021 at 12:56 PM, Mister Fixit said:

Have you tried the Thai herbal laxative, Radompon?  Thais swear by it and so do I.  I have been on a keto way of eating for 4 years now and do occasionally get blocked up and this stuff works every time

Tastes awful  but within an hour, you're on the move!  ???? 

Radompon.jpg

Haha, wow - sounds good! 

Haven't tried or heard about this one. I'll try to Google it further tonight. What's the "original use" - a food ingredient? 

• Like 1