Constipation - a 'Thailand side-effect'

aldriglikvid

20 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Maybe there are other people out there like me, who have a slow digestive system, which results in a blockage in the last part of ones colon, which can be difficult to shift, hence the constipation.

And I've tried everything from psyllium husk, to All Bran, to apples to the "Donut" product, but nothing works as well as prune juice, especially a very large glass taken first thing in the morning.

The reason is not because of the fibre alone, but because it contains sorbitol, and sorbitol is a natural laxative which helps absorb water into the colon therefore making it easier to pass whatever is in there.

In addition to that I have bought half litre of sorbitol from Lazada, which only costs a few baht and I put a couple spoonfuls of that in the prune juice and lo and behold, a movement is assured, and how great it feels!

I have quite the opposite issue and find that listening to the PM makes me evacuate my bowels shortly after. Should I drink more egg white while listening to him ?????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Haha, wow - sounds good! 

Haven't tried or heard about this one. I'll try to Google it further tonight. What's the "original use" - a food ingredient? 

Not sure what you mean by 'original use'.  I think it has always been a laxative.

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

Not sure what you mean by 'original use'.  I think it has always been a laxative.

All right. ????  As I said, haven't heard/seen it before and it looked like a "food bottle" - hence the question. (earlier in the thread I was recommended different foods)

Anyways, I'm gonna check that one out! 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 7:11 AM, Puccini said:

How much Rhinoceros oil does it contain?

On 4/18/2021 at 7:56 AM, Mister Fixit said:

Have you tried the Thai herbal laxative, Radompon?  Thais swear by it and so do I.  I have been on a keto way of eating for 4 years now and do occasionally get blocked up and this stuff works every time

Tastes awful  but within an hour, you're on the move!  ???? 

Radompon.jpg

What are the ingredients of the liquid in this bottle?

If it sold as food or food supplement, all ingredients are by law stated on the label.

If it sold as a medicine, the active ingredients are by law started on the label.

Natural laxatives here are bamboo, sweet corn, and okra. All have lots of fibre.

Sai ua ( Northern Thai sausage ) never seems to fail the next morning. Senokot tablets are at most pharmacies, and quite cheap.

3 hours ago, Brierley said:

Buy a bag of Sunkist prunes and eat about four of them a day for a few days, it's an easy and painless solution to staying regular.

In Thailand?  Sunsweet is a brand available here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Puccini said:

What are the ingredients of the liquid in this bottle?

If it sold as food or food supplement, all ingredients are by law stated on the label.

If it sold as a medicine, the active ingredients are by law started on the label.

I've tried to find out but the traditional typescript used to list the ingredients is indecipherable to me.  I asked my local pharmacist who speaks good English to read it but he said he didn't know the English words.

Someone else tried recently and told me the names of the Thai herbs but I've forgotten them.

If you are absolutely desperate to know, why not just ask a pharmacist who speaks English yourself?  Ask him to write them down for you and you can look them up later.

14 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

All right. ????  As I said, haven't heard/seen it before and it looked like a "food bottle" - hence the question. (earlier in the thread I was recommended different foods)

Anyways, I'm gonna check that one out! 

I'm surprised you haven't seen it.  It's very popular with Thais.

It does taste pretty awful, but a small glass (about 50 ml) of it will have you sprinting for the bathroom within an hour!   ????

It may be you just don't drink enough water to stay suitably hydrated and thereby keep your stools loose enough to travel efficiently. You could also be eating less than you normally do, whenever I diet I move to a 3 day dump cycle.

• Like 1

You guys are stacking up some great ideas. Can't thank you enough. Now, I need to incorporate this in my daily life. 

As of now I'll exclude pure/straight laxative medications and only use that in case of emergency. Not being much of a kitchen-guy, I'll try to get "Bamboo" and "Sator" in my daily food plan. I wouldn't mind eating them straight/raw in the morning if that's possible...? 

Should've listened more to my moms when I had the opportunity. Am I right. 

????

Mucillin.  Pharmaices have it ,so does Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.3.1125719c00srPq&q=mucilin fiber&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--260581232234837397__abId--217103__pvid--ffc4d39f-118e-4b0b-a26c-8ef1388cb7b4&from=suggest_normal&sugg=mucilin fiber_2_1

But you can buy plan psyllium both online and at Villa market and these are just a more expensive, sweetened/flavored version of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Mucillin.  Pharmaices have it ,so does Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.3.1125719c00srPq&q=mucilin fiber&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--260581232234837397__abId--217103__pvid--ffc4d39f-118e-4b0b-a26c-8ef1388cb7b4&from=suggest_normal&sugg=mucilin fiber_2_1

But you can buy plan psyllium both online and at Villa market and these are just a more expensive, sweetened/flavored version of it.

There's a sugar free version of Mucilin.

An easy way, helps if you like it; breakfast of - oatmeal - porridge.

As this is Thailand, add mango, dragon fruit, papaya, nuts, prunes, dollop of yoghurt. Whatever is available. It should be noted, both mangoes and dragon fruit, due to their high liquid content are especially effective. On that theme, splash milk in with the yoghurt. LIQUIDS! If you are eating that four or five mornings a week, everything takes care of itself.

And or, buy and eat fruit everyday. Gives you an excuse to go to the market too. For lots of people no more is needed. You just need to eat larger amounts of fruit, and do it regularly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, dddave said:

So much easier these days.  Just say the name of what you want into Google on your smartphone and you'll get a picture of what you're seeking.

Great at the neighborhood hardware store: " Four inch angle bracket"  No pantomimes, no drawing pictures.

tried that and picture came up of a four inch penis

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 3:10 PM, aldriglikvid said:

You guys are stacking up some great ideas. Can't thank you enough. Now, I need to incorporate this in my daily life. 

As of now I'll exclude pure/straight laxative medications and only use that in case of emergency. Not being much of a kitchen-guy, I'll try to get "Bamboo" and "Sator" in my daily food plan. I wouldn't mind eating them straight/raw in the morning if that's possible...? 

Should've listened more to my moms when I had the opportunity. Am I right. 

????

It sounds to me as though you need to drink a lot more water - at least 3 litres a day, depending on your activity level and how much you sweat.  If you are dehydrated, your body will take water from anywhere, and that includes any stools being formed.  That means they will harden and compact and you will become constipated.  I am on a strict keto diet so need to be very careful about drinking enough liquids, preferably plain water.

For the first time ever in my life, I had a very bad compacted stool early last month because I had been too busy to drink enough water for about 5 days and I can tell you, I thought I was going to have to go to hospital to have it manually extracted.  ????

It got stuck about 5 pm, and I mean STUCK and after 30 agonising minutes of trying, I had to call my wife and ask her to get home quick-quick.   And sorry for the TMI, but when a little piece showed its head, I just had to remove it myself!  Yes, I know, way to much TMI, but needs must in situations like this!    

Luckily she had the foresight to buy a box of ten of these - saline enemas.  I didn't even know they existed.  Apparently they can be bought singly and also come in a larger size.  All pharmacies have them.

Anyway, having assumed the position (lying on my side with knees up to the chin), Madam did the necessary for me.  That's love!   ????

Ten minutes later, WHOOSH!  I don't think I have ever felt such relief!

It might pay you to not only buy some Radompon as I posted uphread, but a few of these little poo-bombs if things get really bad.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-14831/fleet-enema-rectal/details

Enema.jpg

Edited by Mister Fixit

On 4/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, xylophone said:

Maybe there are other people out there like me, who have a slow digestive system, which results in a blockage in the last part of ones colon, which can be difficult to shift, hence the constipation.

And I've tried everything from psyllium husk, to All Bran, to apples to the "Donut" product, but nothing works as well as prune juice, especially a very large glass taken first thing in the morning.

The reason is not because of the fibre alone, but because it contains sorbitol, and sorbitol is a natural laxative which helps absorb water into the colon therefore making it easier to pass whatever is in there.

In addition to that I have bought half litre of sorbitol from Lazada, which only costs a few baht and I put a couple spoonfuls of that in the prune juice and lo and behold, a movement is assured, and how great it feels!

Have you tried tamarind? It maybe be a cheap substitute for prune juice and sorbitol.

It's available from any local thai supermarket, maybe even fresh when in season.

Tamarind Water: Benefits and Uses - YouTube

As with any dietary product I would check for interactions with prescription medicines and other medical conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Have you tried tamarind? It maybe be a cheap substitute for prune juice and sorbitol.

It's available from any local thai supermarket, maybe even fresh when in season.

As with any dietary product I would check for interactions with prescription medicines and other medical conditions.

Thank you for the tip, and no I haven't tried tamarind, but I will, thanks to you.

Always on the lookout for something natural and although prune juice is just that, I'm not sure that adding the sorbitol to it is a good thing to do!

23 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Tamarind is excellent.  My wife makes nam prik makham for me (Tamarind chilli paste) and as I love my food spicy anyway, I have a good big dollop with most breakfasts.

An hour late, I am on the throne!  

You might want o try omega 3 fish oil capsules, can buy a bottle of about 70 of the 1000mg  capsules from 7/11 for 220 baht.

Two or three a day might help along with at least 40 mins exercise and can also provide natural benefits in other areas .

A daily helping of continuous stress and anxiety will also surely loosen things up, maybe you are far to relaxed and need to get worrying!