Thai ID for Thai Children Living Abroad

jaiyenyen

My wife's niece is Thai. She lives in Denmark with her Danish husband and two daughters. The two girls are 14 and 12 years old. They were born in Denmark and hold Danish passports. Their mother would like them to also have Thai ID cards. 

We have made enquiries at our local amphur and they said for my wife to put their names on her tabien baan, then they will issue ID cards for the two girls.

So far, so good.

My wife's niece has now heard that once they are 15 years old, they cannot have a Thai ID card. The 14 year old will be 15 this summer. With Covid, they are unable to get to Thailand at the moment.

Can anyone tell me if this 15 year old rule is correct please?

Edited by jaiyenyen

Why would they need Thai ID cards if they live in Denmark?

I'm quite certain that Thais over 15 can get an ID card, I know many Thais who are older than 15 and have one ????

Edited by jackdd

Just now, jackdd said:

Why would they need Thai ID cards if they live in Denmark?

I'm quite certain that Thais over 15 can get an ID card, my girlfriend is older than this and has one ????

I think the mother wants to make sure they have a solid connection to Thailand should they wish to move here as adults. She's trying to keep all their options open for them.

Nothing wrong with that.

Did your girlfriend get her card BEFORE she was 15?

Were there births registered at the Thai embassy to get a birth certificate?

There is no maximum age to get their first ID card. The age of 15 at one time was the age they could get a Thai ID card and subject to a fine if it was done within a fixed time. Now they can get a ID card at the age of 7.

They will need to be registered in a house book to get a Thai ID number before they can the ID card.

Moved to the Family and Children forum.

• Like 2