Covid test in Thailand before departing country

bluesofa

Can anyone give me some clear answers about this I wonder?

My wife’s aunt (Thai) is emigrating to Norway next month. I’m drawn in through receiving email documents her Norwegian husband sends me to print.

She has an Emirates flight booked Bangkok – Oslo (change flights at Dubai)

I called Emirates to confirm and ask them about Covid requirements.

Apparently she needs to have a Covid test within 24 hours of boarding her flight from Bangkok.

I’ve asked hospitals near Swampy. They all say she needs to have the test, then collect the results 24 hours later. No other help whatsoever.

This seems extremely unclear, as to my thinking, a test result must have the test date and time on it, it order to allow for the 24 hour window to board the flight?

Since then, her aunt has said ‘a friend’ had a Covid test done at Ramkamhaeng hospital within about four hours?

Wish I could help, but I'm in a similar conundrum.

With all the trillions of websites and links, sometimes it seems like useful information on the web has been sequestered away to make more room for quadrillions of megs of rubbish.

To my problem:

There's lot of inexact info on what is needed to fly from BKK to USA.  Even the U.S. Embassy gives only "boilerplate" unclear and incomplete guidance.  Call them up or send an email, right?  Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, hah!!  Oh, thank you, I needed a good laugh.

After floundering for hours, I still don't know if I need a Fit to Fly document only - the Bangkok doctors who do such things are doing boom business..  And I'm perfectly willing to pay what is necessary.  But the one I found in BKK who seemed professional, etc., and cashing in on this boondoggle (bookings back to back at 10 minute intervals for $3000 baht or so)...well, their booking website (10 minute intervals - boom business!).  And, misinformed dope that I am, I have no idea if I should jump on that and be happy....although the one I've been watching and searching on seems to be having birthing traumas - the site is now showing nicely the open and filled 10-minute appointments....but all of the open ones do not respond to setting an appointment.

Anybody either ahead of me on this or a bit more clever?  I can't sit on being flummoxed, I've booked flight out on April 3.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Norway requires a test taken within 24 hours of departure but this can be a rapid antigen rather than a PCR test.  Are you asking the hospitals for the right thing?  All the other requirements for Norway can be found here.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

I'm not aware of Emirates requiring anything more but if you do a dummy booking it was explaining all the requirements during the process.

Emirates keeps a good frequently updated list of requirements online.

https://www.emirates.com/mv/english/help/covid-19/travel-requirements-by-destination/#81338

You are correct that a test within 24 hrs is required for Norway.  It can be a pcr or antigen test.  An antigen test is very quick. 

This place is advertising antigen tests with results in and hour or two.  I can recommend them.  I used them to get a pcr test a few weeks ago before I departed Thailand.

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/FrontNews/covid19-med-certificate-en-2.html

• Thanks 2

most flights require a covid test 72 hours before departure, i dont think any of them do 24(as it typically takes a day to get the results).

I'm flying out tomorrow night and got my pcr test done at MedConsult clinic in Raquet club on suk 49 today. super easy and only 2600 baht. they emailed me the results already but I will go pick up a hard copy of the negative test in the morning

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IH8lokcdown said:

most flights require a covid test 72 hours before departure, i dont think any of them do 24(as it typically takes a day to get the results).

OP is about flights to Norway so what applies for most flights is irrelevant.  What applies to Norway is what he has to worry about:

image.png.9036e0955593b0c58545889050a0e5c0.png

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IH8lokcdown said:

I'm flying out tomorrow night and got my pcr test done at MedConsult clinic in Raquet club on suk 49 today. super easy and only 2600 baht. they emailed me the results already but I will go pick up a hard copy of the negative test in the morning

Travel to Norway

If you are travelling to Norway, you must present a negative COVID‑19 test taken 24 hours before departure

https://www.emirates.com/th/english/help/covid-19/travel-requirements-by-destination/

Dr Donna @med consultant.com.  2600 bht.  Soi49 suk. Raquet club, building 2.  Just go up floor 3.   Quick and professional.

before 10:00 and get results before 20:00 same day. 

used her several times...or her med service.

11 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

MedConsult on Soi Sukhumvit 49 charges 2600 baht for a Covid test. If you get tested before 10 AM you get the result later that same afternoon. 

Do they state the test date and time on the report?

I see a few people are recommending MedConsult. Is there any other place cheaper than 2600 baht?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, loveinbangkok said:

Do they state the test date and time on the report?

MedConsult has been very responsive (within minutes) to my inquiries. I'm sure they could answer any questions you have about the report. I think 2,600 baht is about as cheap as you will find in Bangkok - especially for such a rapid result. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:34 PM, thai006 said:

if you want a rapid pcr just go to the drive thru at piyavate hospital 2800b and got the result in 24h

Just what is a rough profit margin for these doctors doing PCR? 500% upwards? Why are people allowed to get rich like that because of a pandemic which is causing such misery throughout the world? Am I the only one who objects to the cost of these tests, or is it just that people are grateful to be able to fly at all?

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Just what is a rough profit margin for these doctors doing PCR? 500% upwards? Why are people allowed to get rich like that because of a pandemic which is causing such misery throughout the world? Am I the only one who objects to the cost of these tests, or is it just that people are grateful to be able to fly at all?

It's 6,000 baht here in Phuket, so for 2,600 I wouldn't moan.

Also in the UK it is anywhere from 120 - 150 quid for a PCR test

1 minute ago, Nurseynutcase said:

It's 6,000 baht here in Phuket, so for 2,600 I wouldn't moan.

Also in the UK it is anywhere from 120 - 150 quid for a PCR test

I should also have pointed out that my post did not only apply to Thailand, just about every country, especially the UK, are making themselves richer with this pandemic. My question was and still is what is the profit margin on these PCR tests? IMO at least 500%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, treetops said:

What is the cost of the equipment required to do the testing once the swab has been taken?

What has that got to do with anything? Profit margin is what is left after "all costs", for your benefit I repeat "all costs".

I stated IMO, The 500 Bt upwards is not based in anything but an opinion. No organisation which makes obscene profits is ever going to admit it. That is just capitalism. 

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What has that got to do with anything?

If you could tell me I could roughly calculate the profit margin for a set number of tests, which is what you wanted to know.

However if you can't tell me, then you have no idea what sort of profit margin there is, as I would have suspected.  If your opinion is not based on any knowledge then it's not worth the time required to read it.

1 minute ago, treetops said:

If you could tell me I could roughly calculate the profit margin for a set number of tests, which is what you wanted to know.

However if you can't tell me, then you have no idea what sort of profit margin there is, as I would have suspected.  If your opinion is not based on any knowledge then it's not worth the time required to read it.

I thought the Thaivisa was also for people to give their opinions on things. I made it plain my post was just an opinion. However, if you think that 3000Bt or 8000Bt in Phuket for the same thing is fair, that's up to you. There's a reason why the world is full of capitalists, and that is greed.

By the way, the figures I mentioned were from other peoples posts, just what a lot of my opinions are based on, and no one is forcing you to read it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I thought the Thaivisa was also for people to give their opinions on things. I made it plain my post was just an opinion. However, if you think that 3000Bt or 8000Bt in Phuket for the same thing is fair, that's up to you. There's a reason why the world is full of capitalists, and that is greed.

By the way, the figures I mentioned were from other peoples posts, just what a lot of my opinions are based on, and no one is forcing you to read it.

For your eg   real cost would be 500bht add 500%= 3000bht? 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 10:42 PM, IH8lokcdown said:

Maybe you can show the airline an email? 

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Don't worry  about what Treetops says.  He clearly has no idea that PCR-tests (like vaccines, masks and other pandemic-related profiteering) have nothing to do with his ideological idea of textbook-economics.

It's all about with how much street-robbery  you can get away with? 

It's often the state who pays (375m € from the German government for the development of the Biontech vaccine,  which Germans don't get  :)) or who sets prices you pay (200 € you pay for a PCR-test at Vienna airport) or prices you get (39 € you get from social security for a PCR-test you perform as a doctor).

Notice the difference between 200€ a private person is charged and 39€ a doctor receives? It happens to be 500%. And you can be sure, the doctor still makes a profit out of those 39€.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2021 at 9:27 AM, DFPhuket said:

MedConsult has been very responsive (within minutes) to my inquiries. I'm sure they could answer any questions you have about the report. I think 2,600 baht is about as cheap as you will find in Bangkok - especially for such a rapid result. 

Thank you for your reply. Have called them for details.

A friend of mine (A thai citizen) did a Covid test for 600 baht at local hospital, but that's only for Thai.

After I survey around, 2600 baht sounds reasonable for foreigners I guess.

8 hours ago, loveinbangkok said:

Thank you for your reply. Have called them for details.

A friend of mine (A thai citizen) did a Covid test for 600 baht at local hospital, but that's only for Thai.

After I survey around, 2600 baht sounds reasonable for foreigners I guess.

Isn't the difference between 600 baht and 2600 baht about 500%?

Well ....as i go see it that  moment ,as  i leave Thailand to go live back home country ....it shall be the very  last scam money they can get out of my pocket ......(hopefully ...) ????