Do you own an older MB - Maintenance and parts

PAV123

I consider an older MB 350 CDI S-Class W221 (2012-13) which are the very latest of this model. I buy to keep the car for as long as I live, a kind of expensive hobby, not to be sold, but used as a number 2 car.
I have owned MB for the last 30 years in Norway, so I know MB well.

I have a 2013 E-Class 220 CDi in Norway with over 300,000 km that can easily handle 300,000 more with good maintenance.
After 14 years in Thailand with Toyota and Isuzu, I miss an MB.

But what I want to know is the general price of parts, repair and maintenance. Do you buy parts in Thailand yourself, or do you order them from abroad yourself?

Regular service such as oil changes / filters or brakes I get a local workshop to do here in Chonburi, which I know has many MB and BMW customers.

So, if you as an owner have any tips or advice regarding buying an 8--10 year old MB, I would love to hear from you as long as you have serious answers ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Haha 1

If I were buying a ten year old car I would try to find out where it has been serviced for the previous ten years and would likely take it there, at least at first. If I did not no where it had been services, I would likely take it B-Quick or some-such for regular service, maintenance and consumables.

I

• Haha 1

MB is an incredibly popular brand in Thailand and has been the number 1 luxury car here for over 40 years. The Benz assembly plant was established in 1979 which makes it one if the first major assemblers in Thailand.

With an older Benz I don’t think it’s worth it to get it serviced at an official Benz dealership as you will pay through the nose. Luckily there are huge number of unofficial Benz “ou’s” out there. The trick is funding a good one that has all the required software and systems to service a Benz. The cost of a good one will probably be 20- 30% cheaper than the official dealers. 
Parts will still be expensive but they will be less than MB. 
On the suggestion of using B-Quick I don’t know if that is possible. They couldn’t even top up the coolant in my air conditioner as they did not have the system (they said) so even minor stuff is probably needed to be done by a Benz “Ou” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:08 PM, PAV123 said:

I consider an older MB 350 CDI S-Class W221 (2012-13)

Here in Pattaya I see many 50 year old MB being driven by foreigners.

These guys are so loyal, not for me.

Id feel so nervous going for a drive.

• Haha 1

2000 E280 "sweet eyes" as the Thais call them. Spent 1 year searching for the best car, greatly assisted by my Wife's uncle who is a used car dealer in Bangkok. Car is extremely low Kilos so has only required servicing in the 5 years I have owned it by the local Somchai who specializes in MB, Jeep, Bmw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:08 PM, PAV123 said:

So, if you as an owner have any tips or advice regarding buying an 8--10 year old MB, I would love to hear from you as long as you have serious answers ...

yes sure ! people living here on a pension will know everything about Benz...

Imported cars just get too expensive to service after 12 years

I had a Saab for many years & loved it but sold for parts when needed a reco gear box. & quoted 360,000 Bht

I laughed at them & cried when it was taken away

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2021 at 3:45 PM, JAS21 said:

As I have suggested before and can recommend... Thomson Garage in Bangna. They have an exMB mechanic there. Genuine MB parts at below dealer price. Service at below dealer price.

I recommended this garage to ctxa and he was very pleased. Don’t take your MB to a ‘run of the mill garage’.

If you search, you will also find a club in Thailand for owners of that model.. check on FB.

Just bear in mind it is a big car... I considered a similar option but ruled it out as where we live it would take longer to park than to do the shopping... well almost ...

hello, do you know how they can get genuine parts for cheaper price ?

is it really possible in Thailand (even for individuals) or they need to import ?

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, samtab said:

is it really possible in Thailand (even for individuals) or they need to import ?

Thank you.

Don't be cheap charley. if you have not money for benze dont to buy

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Don't be cheap charley. if you have not money for benze dont to buy

I always pay full price at Benz because I am lazy to find alternatives.

But if alternatives are easy and can save 20000 for 3 nights in a nice resort, on a part that cost 40000, I will do it.

17 minutes ago, samtab said:

But if alternatives are easy and can save 20000 for 3 nights in a nice resort, on a part that cost 40000, I will do it.

Where can you stay at a "nice" resort for three nights for 20K, Cambodia? Will they let you park your c-class out front? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, samtab said:

I’m with you on that...

Am surprised that you pay full price, most give 10% to 15% on service. 

We use the dealer as have bought warranty up to 8years...will allow me to sleep at night.

If you car is out of warranty use Thomson...I also see BMW and Audi there...

I also remember reading somewhere that MB also do refurbished spares... things like air suspension units ...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Where can you stay at a "nice" resort for three nights for 20K, Cambodia? Will they let you park your c-class out front? 

This very minute we are in Khao Lak at Eden Beach Resort...have been for a week paying 1300thb inc b/f... very nice 5Star Resort. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samtab said:

Thank you.

No I don’t... maybe they buy at the same price but have lower overheads...

If ctxa ‘returns’ maybe he knows he has used Thomson Garage a couple of times... I’ve only used their Hofmann gear...dropped a wheel in a big pothole!

21 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I’m with you on that...

Am surprised that you pay full price, most give 10% to 15% on service. 

We use the dealer as have bought warranty up to 8years...will allow me to sleep at night.

If you car is out of warranty use Thomson...I also see BMW and Audi there...

I also remember reading somewhere that MB also do refurbished spares... things like air suspension units ...

The MB five year extended warranties seem attractive but are very expensive. I was quoted 277,000 THB to extend the factory 3 year warranty to 8 years on a 2018 GLC 2.1 with 80,000 km. That works out at about 55,000 per year. In the UK MB will only extend for 2 more years but the price would be about 30,000 THB per year. MB seem to be ripping off their Thai customers.    

Edited by pj123

18 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How did you get that rate? 

Phoned the hotel and ask for their promotion price...same with Dewa in Phuket... their offer 1400thb.

Looking at Eden website today I see promotion finished but Booking.com have it for a little more. Reception told me as we left earlier today...All the offers were bought up by those who stayed recently... not surprised as could be used until end of year.

2 hours ago, pj123 said:

The MB five year extended warranties seem attractive but are very expensive. I was quoted 277,000 THB to extend the factory 3 year warranty to 8 years on a 2018 GLC 2.1 with 80,000 km. That works out at about 55,000 per year. In the UK MB will only extend for 2 more years but the price would be about 30,000 THB per year. MB seem to be ripping off their Thai customers.    

Probably... E350e and similar... each corner is about 100,000thb as is the associated compressor. Air con compressor also expensive as is each screen...

I have seen some frightening bills on peoples out of warranty cars... if you kms are above 100k you can’t extend...

You should be able to get at least a 5% discount on recommended price... try different dealers PM me if you want a suggestion

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Phoned the hotel and ask for their promotion price...same with Dewa in Phuket... their offer 1400thb.

Looking at Eden website today I see promotion finished but Booking.com have it for a little more. Reception told me as we left earlier today...All the offers were bought up by those who stayed recently... not surprised as could be used until end of year.

The promo was on the website last night, but was sold out.

Did you call or did your wife call?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

The promo was on the website last night, but was sold out.

Did you call or did your wife call?

Thanks

My wife booked the first two days... then I bought the 6500thb 5day voucher when we checked in.

Booking.com have the same room for 1500 and a bit... I looked earlier today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 3:45 PM, JAS21 said:

As I have suggested before and can recommend... Thomson Garage in Bangna. They have an exMB mechanic there. Genuine MB parts at below dealer price. Service at below dealer price.

I recommended this garage to ctxa and he was very pleased. Don’t take your MB to a ‘run of the mill garage’.

I wrote to them regarding servicing the notoriously tricky W140, and Eddie wrote back promptly with some excellent answers to my questions. If I do pull the trigger and buy one, I'll definitely take it there. 

Edited by stoneinfocus

I have a 2013 S400h (V222) with 60,000km and a 2011 CLS250 with 110,000km.

The S class I bought used and has needed many fixes and some things I've just given up on because the cost didn't justify the fix (memory seats don't work on front and back passenger, back passenger side headrest doesn't go forward). The massage pump failed, front pinions failed (had 4 replaced), memory seat control unit failed (replaced 1, didn't bother with the others), the backlighting behind the buttons on the centre console don't work anymore, and many other small things. Probably spent about 300,000 on unexpected fixes all up.

The CLS I had from new (UK import), other than needing to round out my rims as they were causing uneven tyre wear, nothing out of the ordinary (usual stuff given the kms, engine mount replacements, etc).

My advice is buy new or demo. It will cost you less in the long run. The W223 is coming out soon in Thailand so you should be able to get the W222 cheap soon enough.