Do you own an older MB - Maintenance and parts

PAV123

11 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Read page 3 of this thread to see how good Thomson diagnosed one TV members car, what it cost to do nothing, and how a Thai mechanic fixed it for peanuts;

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1208073-car-air-condition-leak-sniffer-do-you-know-any-shop-that-has-one-bangkok-or-pattaya/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-16403249

So you would not trade with a company because of one complaint? That might leave you a little limited.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So you would not trade with a company because of one complaint? That might leave you a little limited.

One we have heard about.

If they could not fix the car, yet an independent shop could, speaks volumes.

I take the word of a poster who fails to flame, troll, insult, demean other posters in the time I have been on this forum, whose posts are balanced, measured, and totally believable.

Others - not so much.

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Find a car with less than 40k km on the clock, check VIN number and the blue book for dates. Once you know the month and year of manufacturing and registration,  check the date stamp (week/year) on the tyres, including spare tyre. 

would a merc with that mileage still have the original tyres

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

One we have heard about.

If they could not fix the car, yet an independent shop could, speaks volumes.

I take the word of a poster who fails to flame, troll, insult, demean other posters in the time I have been on this forum, whose posts are balanced, measured, and totally believable.

Others - not so much.

They were both independent shops, yes?

He took it to any number of shops and it was a problem he's had for years. He also indicated he'd done a lot of  troubleshooting himself AFTER he'd taken it to the one shop which I think helped the other shop with the diagnosis. 

That said, it does reinforce my belief that auto repair is much like medicine in that it really comes down to the individual providing the the service much more that the venue. 

In any event, the car was not really repaired, the mechanic know a workaround which worked well for the owner as he (apparently) does not want to use the heater. 

I thought it was JAS making the recommendation, is it your position he flames, trolls, insults and demeans other posters? His posts always seem balanced, measured, and totally believable to me. You? Not so much.

17 hours ago, expatjustice said:

Do you seriously believe that a Mercedes S-Class with 60,000km can have those many issues?  

That car has at least 250,000 real km. The odometer had just been rolled back.

It wasn't rolled back, I checked with the service history with Mercedes. The previous owner might however have installed a device to stop/slow the km increasing. The cosmetic condition of the interior and pedals looked practically unused though.

Either way, as I said, save the hassle and buy a new/demo, they just don't take care of their cars here (or maybe blame the road or weather).

S560e demos should be cheap enough once the W223 is released here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"For your budget you can get a 2018 E350 with low milage."

ExpatOilWorker - Curious do you own an E350 that you are recommending one?They are cheap because they have plenty of problems, not just in Thailand but back in Europe also. 

19 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

ExpatOilWorker - Curious do you own an E350 that you are recommending one?They are cheap because they have plenty of problems, not just in Thailand but back in Europe also. 

We have ond still no problem years later. You might confuse with  BMW that really are problem cars...

• Like 2

On 4/21/2021 at 7:44 PM, canthai55 said:

Read page 3 of this thread to see how good Thomson diagnosed one TV members car, what it cost to do nothing, and how a Thai mechanic fixed it for peanuts;

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1208073-car-air-condition-leak-sniffer-do-you-know-any-shop-that-has-one-bangkok-or-pattaya/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-16403249

So where else do you go if not Thomson ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

Looking at the Following two FB Groups there are E350e’s for sale.

MB-EQTH.  and MB W213 club.

If you get one that is still in warranty and less that 100,000kms you can extend the warranty...a good idea in my view.

I see the comments about Thomson’s... not my experience... but .....

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 5:48 PM, JAS21 said:

I’m with you on that...

Am surprised that you pay full price, most give 10% to 15% on service. 

We use the dealer as have bought warranty up to 8years...will allow me to sleep at night.

If you car is out of warranty use Thomson...I also see BMW and Audi there...

I also remember reading somewhere that MB also do refurbished spares... things like air suspension units ...

have you done anything at thomson ?

or do you know many people using it ?

thank you

8 hours ago, samtab said:

have you done anything at thomson ?

or do you know many people using it ?

thank you

Yes… their hi tech wheel alignment gear.

Me, ctxa and some members of MBEQ-TH but I don’t know how many .

• Like 1

There is a small shop on Chan Road near the fire station in Chongnonsi, Bangkok that stocks a range of parts for both Benz and BMW from around the 90's to early 2000. The owner is in his 80's but speaks good english Its a bit like stepping back in time when you go into the shop. Apologies  can't post a pic as I am in Hua Hin.   

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 6:02 PM, Outbackoz said:

There is a small shop on Chan Road near the fire station in Chongnonsi, Bangkok that stocks a range of parts for both Benz and BMW from around the 90's to early 2000. The owner is in his 80's but speaks good english Its a bit like stepping back in time when you go into the shop. Apologies  can't post a pic as I am in Hua Hin.   

Thanks , I need a few things