Playing 1080p x25 files with 3g of RAM

rcuthbert

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

RAM is not the issue. If you like the smaller H.265, get a better PC.

How does one know if their PC will play the 265 format?

Is there anywhere in the system that I can see that? I recently bought a Lenovo IdeaPad and it's got all the mod cons and I'm wondering if this is somewhere in the system?

You are very knowledgeable man as regards these things, hence me asking the question.

15 minutes ago, xylophone said:

How does one know if their PC will play the 265 format?

Is there anywhere in the system that I can see that? I recently bought a Lenovo IdeaPad and it's got all the mod cons and I'm wondering if this is somewhere in the system?

You are very knowledgeable man as regards these things, hence me asking the question.

Test by playing them: https://jell.yfish.us

• Like 1

I think the problem is not an amount of RAM, more likely your CPU is too old.

x265 is a hardware encoding that requires a modern CPU (Intel generation 6+, year 2015+) to play efficiently.

There are software x265 players but I haven't tested them and don't know their performance.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for your response......and I get the answer:- Windows media player cannot play the file!!

Just asking, but what is the difference between the two?

High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2, is a video compression standard designed as part of the MPEG-H project as a successor to the widely used Advanced Video Coding (AVC, H.264, or MPEG-4 Part 10).

In comparison to AVC, HEVC offers from 25% to 50% better data compression at the same level of video quality, or substantially improved video quality at the same bit rate. It supports resolutions up to 8192×4320, including 8K UHD, and unlike the primarily 8-bit AVC, HEVC's higher fidelity Main10 profile has been incorporated into nearly all supporting hardware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

doesn't come across as a RAM problem, but more a CODEC not installed on the PC

when in doubt, use Portable VideoLAN aka Portable VLC

Comes across as a CPU issue, not a CODEC issue.

My reasoning? 3 GB of RAM. Think about the last time you saw a PC sold with 3 GB of RAM.  Older CPU.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, xylophone said:

Thanks for your response......and I get the answer:- Windows media player cannot play the file!!

Just asking, but what is the difference between the two?

For some reason Windows Media Player does not come with the Codecs needed to play certain files. Codec is a device (file) which acts as both an encoder and a decode to play a movie file.

There are many different file types and codecs for even the same movie, depending on the mood of the guy who uploaded it. Don't know why Windows Media Player does not include all codecs needed, but that's M$ for you.

By downloading extra codec packs you can get Windows Media Player to work but why should you when players like VLC Media Player are free and will play just about anything. ????

Don't know if this will be of any use to you:-

Sometimes I have a file that for some reason won't play on the smart TV. Obviously something wrong codecs or whatever, but I just can't be bothered to sort it out so I just run the movie and convert it through VidCoder then it plays just fine.

I run the VidCoder straight out of the box so to speak. The only things I change are the file size under the "Video Encoding" tab, usually reduce the size to 700Mb.

This weeks free tip for all users of VLCPlayer. 

Did you know you can get rid of those boring old traffic cone icons?

VLC Icon Changer will let you change those boring old traffic cone to any icon you like, and it's free 

What an offer  ????

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

For some reason Windows Media Player does not come with the Codecs needed to play certain files. Codec is a device (file) which acts as both an encoder and a decode to play a movie file.

There are many different file types and codecs for even the same movie, depending on the mood of the guy who uploaded it. Don't know why Windows Media Player does not include all codecs needed, but that's M$ for you.

By downloading extra codec packs you can get Windows Media Player to work but why should you when players like VLC Media Player are free and will play just about anything. ????

Don't know if this will be of any use to you:-

Sometimes I have a file that for some reason won't play on the smart TV. Obviously something wrong codecs or whatever, but I just can't be bothered to sort it out so I just run the movie and convert it through VidCoder then it plays just fine.

I run the VidCoder straight out of the box so to speak. The only things I change are the file size under the "Video Encoding" tab, usually reduce the size to 700Mb.

This weeks free tip for all users of VLCPlayer. 

Did you know you can get rid of those boring old traffic cone icons?

VLC Icon Changer will let you change those boring old traffic cone to any icon you like, and it's free 

What an offer  ????

Looks like some really low quality media that you are playing there. DVD quality? 

My TV is Full HD, so that is the minimum resolution file that I utilise on it.

If a file doesn't play on the TV it better to download a compatible file than it is to convert it to a lower quality version

• Like 1

I use MPC BE. It has the x265 codecs.  It can play 720p x265, MKV, MKV, 1080p x264,  et al. I  agree that my CPU is the cause of the  1080p x265  problem.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=MPC+BE

5 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Comes across as a CPU issue, not a CODEC issue.

My reasoning? 3 GB of RAM. Think about the last time you saw a PC sold with 3 GB of RAM.  Older CPU.

very unlikely a CPU problem, unless the PC is running a ton of bloatware in the background

1080p doesn't take that much power, can play easily with CPU that are 10 years old

if it was 4K, ok, that would be a different issue

playing 1080p files with a Celeron Mobile laptop and no problem

2 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

very unlikely a CPU problem, unless the PC is running a ton of bloatware in the background

1080p doesn't take that much power, can play easily with CPU that are 10 years old

It most certainly is the CPU. Even the OP agrees.

Yours is likely a modern Celeron. What model?

How far did you get on the test? https://jell.yfish.us/ Choose HEVC only

On 4/1/2021 at 11:37 AM, rcuthbert said:

My system has 3g of RAM, unfortunately, that is not enough to play 1080p x265 files. Is there a way to [other that to install more RAM] to fix this problem?

If your computer is a desktop, add a graphics card.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

It most certainly is the CPU. Even the OP agrees.

Yours is likely a modern Celeron. What model?

How far did you get on the test? https://jell.yfish.us/ Choose HEVC only

the OP doesn't have a clue, hence why he started this thread. Definitely not a CPU, 1080p is over 10 years old, even an old CPU from 2010 could run 1080p easily, I know I do all the time on some old PC I use for watching movies.

A better question would be what kind of Graphic cards he is using, and what screen factor. Running 1080p on a laptop with 15'' screen is no problem for an old laptop, running the same movie on a very large screen, and you could have issues in the display speed. 

Never forget the attached Graphics card, much more important than the CPU

Edited by GrandPapillon

2 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

the OP doesn't have a clue, hence why he started this thread. Definitely not a CPU, 1080p is over 10 years old, even an old CPU from 2010 could run 1080p easily, I know I do all the time on some old PC I use for watching movies

We are talking about 1080p HEVC (X265) Do you know the difference between x264 and x265?

I am watching 1.8g 1080p x264 rips without any problem what so ever.

52 minutes ago, rcuthbert said:

We are talking about 1080p HEVC (X265) Do you know the difference between x264 and x265?

I am watching 1.8g 1080p x264 rips without any problem what so ever.

yeah, the compression is bigger and better on x265, hence taking a bit more CPU to process

IMO, why bother with x265 for watching movies on a laptop,

boycott x265 !!!

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

Does it not depend on the compression and coding how much power is needed ? I mean this a special codec that needs more processing power then less encoded 1080P files. Decoding is done by the processor. 

23 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

yeah, the compression is bigger and better on x265, hence taking a bit more CPU to process

IMO, why bother with x265 for watching movies on a laptop,

boycott x265 !!!

I made it clear that I was discussing HEVC. The OP also made it clear they were discussing H.265.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Does it not depend on the compression and coding how much power is needed ? I mean this a special codec that needs more processing power then less encoded 1080P files. Decoding is done by the processor. 

it needs more calculation power but CPUs can handle it but the video rendering on a bigger display, that is going to be very costly

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I made it clear that I was discussing HEVC. The OP also made it clear they were discussing H.265.

So not nice and definitely not correct of you to write that I am wrong and the OP "doesn't have a clue."

again why would you bother with HVEC on 1080p? it's not like it will make a difference when needed to save space on your HDD, while on 4K or 8K, you would have a better case

let's do x265 on 720p while we are at it, just for the beauty of it, and why not 480p ????

save energy, and boycott x265 if you are watching 1080p and below on your laptop or small screen ????

Edited by GrandPapillon

2 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

it needs more calculation power but CPUs can handle it but the video rendering on a bigger display, that is going to be very costly

You seem to know more then me (not a flame). I never knew that the VGA card did the rendering for encoded movies did work too. I thought it was all processor work and a lil VGA card work. Thanks (i take it your sure about this ?). 

I always thought my VGA cards were only good for gaming and that the encoding was processor work. 

your display card is going to make a big difference in the rendering of your movie, back in the 90s or 20 years ago, the CPUs would handle a lot of the graphics calculation, but not anymore, or at least at a minimum. And that is true not only for gaming, but for your Win10 UI

Graphics cards are becoming keys and more sophisticated than MBs these days, and eventually we might run entire OS on GPUs and Nvidia cards ???? 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I always thought my VGA cards were only good for gaming and that the encoding was processor work. 

the encoding/decoding can be performed by both the CPUs and the GPUs, depending on the software you run

the real bottleneck is to display all those tiny little pixels at a very high speed on a very large surface, that takes addressing power, more than decoding/encoding some smallres files in x265 (assuming 1080p is smallres these days)