Thailand to target wealthy foreign retirees, make it easier to purchase property

webfact

1 hour ago, ramrod711 said:

Not to mention an AQI that frequently resides in the DANGER area. The first big spender to hit Chiang Mai is sure to say "they must be joking".

That’s true, but there is a sub group who could not be called ‘rich’ but certainly spend in excess of 100,000 baht /month. It might be of interesting to this group , there are many of them in Bangkok and the tourist areas.

• Thanks 1

You know, there are a lot of people who would probably be interested in this.  I know there's lots that are interested in swamp land in florida too.

As for me, no thanks but thanks for the offer.  I don't like throwing my money down the toilet.  

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

...about making it easier for foreigners to buy houses in Thailand.

[/quote]

Sorry, but I simply don't believe this.  'Buying a house' in my interpretation means owning (not leasing) the property (with its land/garden) in my name only.  Any other scheme is just deception.

Please don't destroy their allusion, they have spend 5 minutes thinking this one up, and it is 1st April don't forget. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The government is considering making it easier for foreigners to own property in Thailand.

come on, yesterday they had a post warning us.....

April Fool’s Day is no joke, warn Thai police

and yet, here they are posting garbage....  their usual BS, do as I say don't do as I do

Edited by Mavideol

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

LOL,LOL,LOL they really dream big don't they delusions of grandeur . 1 million they would be very lucky to get 1 thousand and what exactly do the expect them to spend 100,000  on every single month , cmon time for a reality check .

Well I seem to have lived outside reality for the past 18 years, I have had no difficulty spending 200k/month 4 children house payment utilities care payments x 2 and general expenditure, it was not that difficult although regrettable at times and for that I received nothing from the gov, that also does not include the millions of USD in business that was brought into manufacturing companies in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Airalee said:

Not sure where they get their numbers, but there are only an estimated 46.8 million millionaires globally and that includes the value of their overinflated homes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire

Interesting.  I would have guessed far more than just 46.8 million.   I would bet the booming American stock market has pushed quite a few people into millionaire status if you do, indeed, include their home values.   

Oh yeah, some Dollar Millionaires I know were driven away for coming many times

Make rules requiring overpriced usually redundant retiree insurance

A virus. $100,000 US dollars, the insurance sum plucked out of thin air

Go to a friends for a weekend, be sure to lodge TM30, why not a tracking collar?

No, you can't even own worthless plots of dirt in a Moo-ban

Banking

Every year beg surly Officers for an extension, goalposts changing constantly

Must be April fools joke

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, newnative said:

Interesting.  I would have guessed far more than just 46.8 million.   I would bet the booming American stock market has pushed quite a few people into millionaire status if you do, indeed, include their home values.   

I believe that the MSM leads people to believe that there are far more rich people in order to perpetuate the “keeping up with the Jones’s” mentality to rope people into debt.  Like the old saying that “people spend money they don’t have, to buy things they don’t need, in order to impress people they don’t like” (or something like that)

Did you know that Thailand has less than 32,000 millionaires?  (Contrary to what may posters here on Thaivisa would like you to believe).  And that too includes the equity in their primary residence....and you can’t spend that without borrowing against your home.  

Lots of debt ridden poseurs out there I believe.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/785058/thailand-number-of-millionaires/

Who’s gonna buy all those empty condos?

5 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

There is no problem in buying any property in Thailand - so it cannot be made easier! What we want to know is can we OWN  what we buy? The word "own" or becoming an owner with rights same, same as Thai, has been studiously left floating!

As has the part about owning the land that the house and gardens stand on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

LOL,LOL,LOL they really dream big don't they delusions of grandeur . 1 million they would be very lucky to get 1 thousand and what exactly do the expect them to spend 100,000  on every single month , cmon time for a reality check .

Well ...they had it already, before closing the borders due to Covid !

At least 6 months a year, the country was full of wealthy retirees from Scandinavia, Germany, UK... who spent the winter here in the sun.

What’s 100,000 baht today?

... Just 2,900 Euro and 40,000 baht more than the minimum income to get a retirement visa.

Open the borders !

On 4/1/2021 at 12:56 PM, holy cow cm said:

How about allowing the foreigners here already who are married and have family to own or joint own the house and land? How about giving us easy PR? How about not treating us like chopped liver and give us some respect?

On 4/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, kg1947 said:

YEPPPP .....  we are here , treat us well ... FIRST  

....  no use making promises & predictions ,

in this electronic age anybody with a healthy brain will check the " reality " with people

already living on location .... 

On 4/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, kg1947 said:

YEPPPP .....  we are here , treat us well ... FIRST  

....  no use making promises & predictions ,

in this electronic age anybody with a healthy brain will check the " reality " with people

already living on location .... 

Yes, and having been there relatively recently, the potential of buying any land there, is absolutely absent from my thoughts now. Conclusion=only works for Thai ID card holders. (I have to admit I thought differently 20 years ago). 

7 hours ago, condobrit001 said:

Truely rich foreigners are not interested in living or investing in third world countries with military governments and corrupt police and public officials.

One more guy underestimating the power of the poon.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, rabas said:

Is this before, or after going into space?

Currently, we can own a house, but not the land it is on. (Duh it hurts my brain, where do they think we are going to put the damned house then?) .... Ah, in space. Will we have to do 90 day reports while in space? No doubt there will be a fee for re-entry into Earth atmosphere.

They also need to bring down the price of houses. We can buy in western countries, better built for less cost.