Thailand to target wealthy foreign retirees, make it easier to purchase property

webfact

On 4/1/2021 at 12:26 PM, webfact said:

The government is considering making it easier for foreigners to own property in Thailand.

there is only a slight possibility for foreigners to invest here, the baht has to keep deprecating as it has been, if it reaches 33-34 baht to 1 USD some foreigners  may think twice, I did say maybe  555

8 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

This is the latest episode of 'Living in Lalaland' written by Bangkok's  military whizz-kids.

The government hopes to attract 1 million foreign retirees with the ability to spend 200,000 to 300,000B per month (on what, one might ask). While they are at it could they please turn water into wine? In 2018 there were 80,000 people with Retirement Visas, and no doubt, a lot less now because of COVID. And I expect most of them were living on foreign pensions of about 35,000B per month. Miraculously, the Thai Government is now hoping to increase the numbers by 1,250% and double the average monthly spend to at least 100,000B. Would you give a job to planners like this?

Why would people want to flock to Thailand, which has now dropped to 18th place on the world scale of desirable countries in which to retire. I see three main reasons why Thailand needs to get its act together if it hopes to attract foreign retirees.

1. It is dangerous - always at or near the top of the world's most traffic fatalities, mostly motor bike riders.

2. It is injurious to health, with Chiang Mai having the highest air pollution in the world for a number of days during February to May each year, year after year.

3. It has a very unwelcoming immigration strategy, with unnecessary requirements.

What should be done? 

1. Get motor cycle cops on the roads to vigorously apprehend and prosecute traffic violators. Their absence is the root cause of the accident problem.

2. Publicly identify who is responsible for the neglect of duty in tackling the CM pollution problem - and replace him with a no-nonsense administrator who will get serious.

3. Clarify and simplify the immigration requirements, and welcome with open arms as many foreign retirees as they can get who will have their State pensions of around 35,000B per month banked directly into a Thai bank account. This is foreign currency for Thailand, every cent of which will be spent in the Thai community - and it costs nothing to collect, and has no obvious downside.

And ensure the Easter Bunny leaves lots and lots of Easter eggs ????

On 4/4/2021 at 10:31 PM, BritManToo said:

it was different when we came here.

And the surrounding countries were a lot harder to enter.

If I hadn't produced Thai children in 'the good old days', I wouldn't be here today.

I'd be in Cambodia, or Vietnam or the Philippines.

so your admitting you do not like Thailand but you expect Thailand to like you. enjoy

• Sad 1

Just now, BigC said:

so your admitting you do not like Thailand but you expect Thailand to like you. enjoy

No, I'm admitting immigration have put a lot of BS in the way of me staying here.

Why they need photocopies of the same documents year after year is beyond me.

Why they try to pick faults with the documents they accepted  last year is also beyond me.

Did I mention the impossible queues art immigration in normal times?

I don't expect Thailand to like me, but all the surrounding countries seem to like the foreign exchange I bring with me, so why not Thailand?

If they want to attract retirees like me (I spent 200kbht this  month), why make it so unpleasant to extend my VISA every year?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 4:17 PM, BigC said:

all these comments anti Thai yet you all chose to live  here and moan and complain and complain  and moan and complain  complain  complaints  zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

On 4/4/2021 at 10:31 PM, BritManToo said:

it was different when we came here.

And the surrounding countries were a lot harder to enter.

If I hadn't produced Thai children in 'the good old days', I wouldn't be here today.

I'd be in Cambodia, or Vietnam or the Philippines.

Ditto.  I made a serious mistake marrying a Thai woman who wanted to remain in Thailand for the rest of her life.  If I had it to do over again, I'd be living elsewhere either single or married to another nationality.  The only reason I'm here is to support my family. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 10:17 AM, BigC said:

all these comments anti Thai yet you all chose to live  here and moan and complain and complain  and moan and complain  complain  complaints  zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apparently this type of behavior is a powerful coping mechanism and shouldn't be discouraged.......best just to ignore it if you are not that way inclined and find your own birds to flock with.

On 4/2/2021 at 4:17 PM, BigC said:

There has always been a percentage of Thai bashers here but recently it has become ridiculous. No one is forced to live here or remain married to a Thai. The typical moaner has been dumped by their Thai wife and can't afford to live elsewhere and should be grateful, rather than bitter, that they are allowed to live here.. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The typical moaner has been dumped by their Thai wife and can't afford to live elsewhere

Most of us could afford to live anywhere in the 3rd world, but all the borders are closed at the moment.

It's not as if we retirees are poor Thais (like you) that need to work every day to live.

I certainly have enough to live in Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines.

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most of us could afford to live anywhere in the 3rd world, but all the borders are closed at the moment.

It's not as if we retirees are poor Thais (like you) that need to work every day to live.

I certainly have enough to live in Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines.

You are not the typical moaner. It's clear you are a romantic traveller ???? 

Do you really think people who work are poor? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How many months could you survive if you suddenly couldn't work?

I have always stressed to my kids (and anyone who would listen to me).......there is no substitute for a monthly pay cheque.......huge numbers of working people are no more than a few months away from homelessness even in the UK..........it is quite scary how close millions are to destitution at any moment in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Isn't that the definition of 'poor'?

Having to work to live?

How many months could you survive if you suddenly couldn't work?

It most certainly is not.

I don't see what my circumstances have to do with your ridiculous theories but..

If I didn't work, I could survive due to passive income from cryptocurrencies, however I like working for extra so I can put my children in international schools and private universities. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It most certainly is not.

I don't see what my circumstances have to do with your ridiculous theories but..

If I didn't work, I could survive due to passive income from cryptocurrencies, however I like working for extra so I can put my children in international schools and private universities. 

Not a theory but a definition.

Rich ....... those who have enough money to never work again.

Poor ....... those who need to work to live.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not a theory but a definition.

Rich ....... those who have enough money to never work again.

Poor ....... those who need to work to live.

I guess you are rich if you can afford $5,000 for a home extension in Nakhon Nowhere ???? 

I'm buying a second home in Hua Hin for 9 million baht but I am poor, as I still work.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I guess you are rich if you can afford $5,000 for a home extension in Nakhon Nowhere ???? 

I'm buying a second home in Hua Hin for 9 million baht but I am poor, as I still work.

Chiang Mai, arguably Thailand second most important city.

I was thinking about buying a second home in France for 20k Euros, but Brexit and COVID put paid to that.

Not to mention I doubt I have long enough left to make it worth my while.

No point in spending 10Mbht in Thailand on a house I can't own.

I did have a house in the UK that cost 20Mbht, but a judge gave that away to someone else.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Chiang Mai, arguably Thailand second most important city.

I was thinking about buying a second home in France for 20k Euros, but Brexit and COVID put paid to that.

Not to mention I doubt I have long enough left to make it worth my while.

You're the man ????

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I did have a house in the UK that cost 20Mbht, but a judge gave that away to someone else

Why is marriage like a hurricane?

In the beginning everything is warm, quiet and cosy.........then all of a sudden your house has gone.

On 4/3/2021 at 1:45 PM, rken2 said:

What, I have seen a 15 fold increase in the value of my property. On more then one property. One piece alone provides enough income to live on (Rentals) I have a wonderful family. Would I sell one piece if the price was right, sure do I look stupid. I would just then move to the other piece. People complain, but I feel much freer living in thailand than I ever did living in the US. Permit to build, permit to change a faucet and on and on. Enjoying the good life. But that was the case when I lived in Hawaii too, almost 16 years ago. Like the man said love it or leave it. 

PS so now you know one.

You're lying. No property has increased in value here, let alone 15 fold. You must be trying to unload something.

If you're an American you don't own anything here. 

Everything bought 15 years ago in Phuket has gone down in value. Everything. And it's unsaleable even at fire sale prices. 15 fold...tsk 

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2021 at 4:03 PM, connda said:

Ditto.  I made a serious mistake marrying a Thai woman who wanted to remain in Thailand for the rest of her life.  If I had it to do over again, I'd be living elsewhere either single or married to another nationality.  The only reason I'm here is to support my family. 

There are so many like you who just want to live with their Thai wives and families and the Thai wife will not leave her family if she has any say.