How to save money on your electricity bill during hot season in Thailand

webfact

8pm.jpg

Graphic: MEA - Daily News

With the hot season already upon us, it wont come as a surprise to find out that April and May are typically peak months for energy consumption in Thailand. 

Trying to keep your home cool by having the air conditioning running for just a few extra hours each day will significantly increase energy usage and you may have already seen a spike in your electricity bill.

And now with the school holidays about to start and more people choosing to stay in or work from home, you could end up spending even more on your electricity bill than you would do normally for this time of year.

But in a bid to  try and help people reduce their power consumption, the Metropolitan Electricity Authority has revealed some simple tips that everyone should follow in order to help keep power bills down.

In a report by Daily News, the MEA said that to run a 12,000 BTU air-con when it is 35C costs 0.69 units per hour or 2.69 baht. 

Running one for a month, they said would cost 646 baht (obviously not 24/7).

However, if the temperature reaches 41C then the bill would surge by around 14 percent, or 93 baht.

An hour of operation would use 0.79 units and cost 3.08 baht meaning it would cost 739 baht a month to run.

In order to help keep power bills down during the hot season the MEA advised people to set their  air conditioners to 26c to ensure best performance.

A regularly maintained air conditioner will also perform more efficiently, with the MEA advising homeowners to ensure they service their air con units at least twice a year, making sure the units are thoroughly cleaned. Finally, where possible use a fan instead of the air con due to it consuming less power.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

help people reduce their power consumption, the Metropolitan Electricity Authority has revealed some simple tips that everyone should follow in order to help keep power bills down.

Do what the Thais do  goto the shopping Mall for  the free aircon  all day ????

• Like 1

Just now, johng said:

Time for a few more kilowatts of solar panels ?

Sadly there's no more room on the car port or they would be going up now.

Have to expand the space first.

42 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We only run A/C at night and at 28C.

Unfortunately we appear to have the grandkids over again next week, they are rather less frugal ???? 

My kids are off school and sitting in their room all day with the AC on.

I never really understood the fascination with lecky bills with expats here, so if your bill is a few K up next month is that really going to make much difference to your life/budget?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Johnny Mac said:

I never really understood the fascination with lecky bills with expats here, so if your bill is a few K up next month is that really going to make much difference to your life/budget?

In March I generated 138 units, used another 133 units on top of that and was given a 25 unit discount.

Total final bill 400bht, I'm happy with that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

My highest electricity bill in this house was 8k. That was 3 ac runnining around 12 hours a day each.

Generally its around 1400.  It doesnt make a big difference, but it adds up, especially when im indifferent generally and it has to be crazy hot before I bother.  

2 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Waste beer money, that's why.

(ofc, I expect you don't drink)

but this year is cooler because of la nina.

so far there was not any heat wave and already the southerly monsoon brings clouds and rain is forecast within days.

so far I am using only fans. As i live on the ground floor and the house is over a wet soil, floor tiles are cool throughout day.

When too hot I do take shower, even without soaping, and not drying skin.

Our bills are below 500b, with very large fridge/freezer, my pc and 1 or 2 fans 

• Like 2

This time of year, I usually turn on the A/C around 5 pm. The rest of the year not until 8 pm or 9 pm. Even then, I set it for 31 or 30. Run a fan alongside the bed and things are just fine. I rarely have an electric bill over 1000 baht. April and May, it sometimes gets to around 1100.

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

but this year is cooler because of la nina.

so far there was not any heat wave and already the southerly monsoon brings clouds and rain is forecast within days.

so far I am using only fans. As i live on the ground floor and the house is over a wet soil, floor tiles are cool throughout day.

When too hot I do take shower, even without soaping, and not drying skin.

Our bills are below 500b, with very large fridge/freezer, my pc and 1 or 2 fans 

500 baht is low. Even during the months when I don't use a/c I usually get a bill around 750 to 800 baht.

6 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

It's part of acclimatizing yourself. I would hate to be dependent on a/c where I wasn't ready for the weather. If you're going to live in a country with a hot climate, you better adapt. Fortunately, I was used to it already. Where I come from is actually hotter than Thailand during the summer, although not nearly as humid. I always tried to limit my dependence on a/c back home, too. A lot of Euros come here and just wilt in the heat. Best to know how to keep the house cool naturally and capture a breeze, however little it may be.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cauldlad said:

I do not understand people who set the Air Con to 28 29 30 31 !!

If you do that you are wasting electricity imo.

Mine gets set at 16 before we go to bed although I do admit my Thai wife has her blanket ready!!

that because the title of this thread is about saving money and electricity. 

In europe comfortable temperature for male is 18C, for female 20C. In thailand it's higher.

The majority of thai population don't have aircon.

When I go on holidays I try to chose fan rooms, they are minimum 100b cheaper.

Say, running air con, as well as buying, maintaining, replacing air con costs 50b per day (that for 10h use) which makes 18k per year. That is a monthly wage. 

Running fan is about 10x cheaper