car driving licence passenger limit

Taccos

I need to rent a minibus to get some folks transported to a wedding ceremony. What is the maximum number of passengers I am allowed to transport with my regular (2 year temporary) car driving licence?

1 hour ago, Taccos said:

my regular (2 year temporary) car driving licence?

Came to my mind a bit late:

I remember two restrictions with the temporary license.

1)  not allowed driving in neighboring country

2) car rental not allowed

So really, check for other options.

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You would not be legal to drive.

A car driving license allows to drive vehicles registered for max 7 passengers (incl. driver, not sure?).

Such 7 seaters are available if that helps.

(Toyota Avanza e.g.)

I drove our own SsangYong (11 seats) through many checkpoints in the last years, no problem at all. That's what the license plates in blue on white are for. Private (!) car with more than 7 seats. Notice the "private", not commercial. And by the way, my normal car is an Avanza.

Van with driver is about 2500/day + fuel. From that driver gets 500. Most mini buses drive like a car, commuters are usually manual gears. Only real thing to recognise is the increased payload when full (say 500kgs) & the increase in braking distance. If you don't know the route/conditions, get a driver.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

I drove our own SsangYong (11 seats) through many checkpoints in the last years, no problem at all. That's what the license plates in blue on white are for. Private (!) car with more than 7 seats. Notice the "private", not commercial. And by the way, my normal car is an Avanza.

If he's renting I would guess the van would have commercial plates as that's probably what they rent it for. Then again, maybe not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I think the extent of your involvement in such an event ought to be paying for it, certainly not driving the thing.  Minibus driving requires special skills not normally found in people actually trained to drive properly.

I guess you‘ve got a point here and will go with your advise given all the restrictions outlined by other members and the small investment required to hire a driver.

19 hours ago, Taccos said:

I need to rent a minibus to get some folks transported to a wedding ceremony. 

I'm wondering if you 'Taccos'  have an international drivers permit, maybe you could drive on that.?

Well at least present it for hiring the van and if stopped by police for their usual wage top up.!

5 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

Similar for me, a friend has a Hyundai H1 and can seat 11 people. Plate white with blue number.

. A lot of them on the road . No problem at any check point. They are private van and  the commercial have Yellow plate. Those I can not drive.

On 4/1/2021 at 8:21 AM, KhunBENQ said:

The question is likely not the actual number of people in the bus.

But a minibus is usally registered for 11 or more passengers and has a special license plate.

You would not be legal to drive.

A car driving license allows to drive vehicles registered for max 7 passengers (incl. driver, not sure?).

Such 7 seaters are available if that helps.

(Toyota Avanza e.g.)

Can you please give the reference as to where that information is from? I've rented an 11 seater from Hertz and other major companies several times.  Each time I've presented my Thai driving licence which has been accepted.  It it wasn't accepted I would simply use my UK licence which I believe is honoured and allows me to drive a vehicle built for up to 16 passengers.

As for renting a bus with a driver - after a few inter-province trips in a 'van', there is absolutely no way I'd ever get in one with a Thai driver ever again.  The Toyota Commuter is a pleasure to drive with no special skills needed - they are not bad on fuel either but make sure its a diesel (most are).  All I would say is when you have a full load, be aware of 'weave' when changing lanes etc. Drive smoothly and you'll have no problems. The brakes are fine, they are designed for the job.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, elgenon said:

If he's renting I would guess the van would have commercial plates as that's probably what they rent it for. Then again, maybe not.

Nope. The ones I've rented have all had white plates with blue lettering.

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Can you please give the reference as to where that information is from?

Seems I have mixed up the definition of a "car" (max 8 passengers) with the limits for the "Private Car" license.

On the license you have symbols for a "car" (limousine), pickup and a "mini" bus.

As others wrote there are non commercial (plates) mini buses that are allowed with the private car license.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:25 PM, KhaoYai said:

Can you please give the reference as to where that information is from? I've rented an 11 seater from Hertz and other major companies several times.  Each time I've presented my Thai driving licence which has been accepted.  It it wasn't accepted I would simply use my UK licence which I believe is honoured and allows me to drive a vehicle built for up to 16 passengers.

UK Cat. B (car) only allows up to 8 pax seats. Need D1 for 16. If you passed your driving test before Jan. 1997 you should have D1 but with a 101 (not for hire & reward) restriction.

Edited by Lancashirelad
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lancashirelad said:

UK Cat. B (car) only allows up to 8 pax seats. Need D1 for 16. If you passed your driving test before Jan. 1997 you should have D1 but with a 101 (not for hire & reward) restriction.

Note, I said MY UK licence which indeed does include category D1 - the 101 restriction does not apply to me as I also have PSV and HGV licences (now incorporated into my normal licence).

Given the general age of many members here, I would think the OP also passed his test before January 1997 and therefore can also drive a vehicle with up to 16 passengers. However, thank you for pointing that out. He should of course, check his UK licence if he is relying on that - and remember that a UK licence should be used in conjuction with an International Driving Permit. The police may not always ask for an IDP in Thailand but you can be sure an insurance company will if there is a claim.

In any case, I think its been established that the Thai driving licence does cover him for a minibus in Thailand providing its not on yellow plates.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 2:42 PM, Upnotover said:

I think the extent of your involvement in such an event ought to be paying for it, certainly not driving the thing.  Minibus driving requires special skills not normally found in people actually trained to drive properly.

surely a person with a drivving licence can drive a minibus......but there a gain where is one     THAILAND !!!!