Thais urged to get married and start a family

snoop1130

14 hours ago, keith101 said:

On top would have to be the cost of living and having babies just increases those costs exponentially especially hospitals which only really care about profit . 

i guess they learned how to use condoms now

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

But just one wife, at a time anyway.

Why, Polygamy is not allowed?  Oh wait they have Mia Luang's and Mia Noi's and then Gik's or even side girls.  What could possibly go wrong with marriage here in Thailand if it was strictly adhered to like in the Philippines and marriages were all real and certified with no Divorce being easy and counseling mandated.  Ah yes strict control versus no control and all for the love of money. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paul Knight said:

The number of females thronging the bars and places of entertainment, in order to feed their VERY young family ,left on dire financial straits due to the male half of the relationship unwilling to support and NO LAW to make them , following the Four 'Fs ' of life . 

Absolutely! Impregnating girls and moving on to the next one is common for young Thai males. No consequence for their actions. And it's either grandparents .aunts and uncles taking care of children or even worse . abortions  or Dumped babies i

• Like 1

Around my condo on the BKK outskirts, many vacant condos. I look to the condo building across from mine and can see right into them, empty for over a year now.

Meanwhile, along many of the BKK canals, are shanty towns of wooden and metal sheet structures, with much of the Thai lower class packed into them, making their 300 baht or less a day.

How about doing something to get them better jobs and salaries, so they could get into those vacant condos, and maybe begin considering children?

• Like 2

To be fair, kids are generating higher expenses nowadays.

My gf's daughter was studying in various international schools. they costed 300-400k per year. Half of the students came from well to do families and some very wealthy. But the other half came from middle to middle upper class families who had to use most of their savings or even take loans and mortgages for their kids' studies.

More and more people want to put their kids in international or reputable schools as they see it as the best way to give them a decent future. Add to this all the tutorships and specialized classes, exams courses (SAT and others), medical insurance, holidays 3-4 times per year + all their usual expenses (food, clothes, electronics...) and a child can easily cost 700k+ per year.

By definition, you need to have 2 children per couple to maintain the population numbers. That becomes quite expensive. On top of that, divorces happen more often than in the past generations, which is not encouraging to have kids.

Granted, this opinion does not represent the whole country but still a decent percentage of the whole population I believe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was fine with all the expenses.

But then I realized, people do that for their kids, their kids will do that for their own kids and so on and so on... 

At the end, who is going to really enjoy their life if the cycle never ends?

They end up old with no savings and everything they own is under loans which take up most of their incomes. Yay...

And that's why their kids usually have to take them in. So, now people have to take care of their kids and their parents from both sides of the family...

The system is really broken and sad to watch

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

My gf's daughter was studying in various international schools. they costed 300-400k per year. Half of the students came from well to do families and some very wealthy. But the other half came from middle to middle upper class families who had to use most of their savings or even take loans and mortgages for their kids' studies.

My  kid cost me 20K/year  in university fees (CMRU), maybe  another 15k in  food and expenses (finished last  month). I  told her last week, "you''re an adult now and have to make your  own way in life, you can live with me forever at no charge, but no more cash handouts, you want money?, bang a guy or get a job"

No need to spend 400k/year, unless  you want to.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

My  kid cost me 20K/year  in university fees (CMRU), maybe  another 15k in  food and expenses (finished last  month).

I  told her last week, "you''re an adult now and have to make your  own way in life, you can live with me forever at no charge, but no more cash handouts, you want money?, bang a guy or get a job"

UK average age of financial independence now estimated to be 28..........

• Thanks 1

Just now, Surelynot said:

UK average age of financial independence now estimated to be 28..........

Had 4 in the UK, they were off my payroll at finish of high school, if they wanted to go to university, they got a loan.

Happy to feed and house them as long as they wanted, but no cash or entertainment money.

I spent more on my Thai Step-daughter (out at 22), than I ever did on my Brit kids (out at 18).

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Had 4 in the UK, they were off my payroll at finish of high school, if they wanted to go to university, they got a loan.

Happy to feed and house them as long as they wanted, but no cash or entertainment money.

I spent more on my Thai Step-daughter (out at 22), than I ever did on my Brit kids (out at 18).

Similar....had four......all went to University, but it was before fees were introduced so they managed to get by on their loans........very different story now though for kids and their families.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My  kid cost me 20K/year  in university fees (CMRU), maybe  another 15k in  food and expenses (finished last  month). I  told her last week, "you''re an adult now and have to make your  own way in life, you can live with me forever at no charge, but no more cash handouts, you want money?, bang a guy or get a job"

And that is fine, glad it doesn't cost you as much and that you can enjoy more of your cash.

I do hope the 15k expenses is per month, otherwise I worry about your daughter. Also, I would not encourage mine to "bang a guy" to make money...

But, to each their own I guess!

• Haha 1