Thais urged to get married and start a family

snoop1130

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My  kid cost me 20K/year  in university fees (CMRU), maybe  another 15k in  food and expenses (finished last  month). I  told her last week, "you''re an adult now and have to make your  own way in life, you can live with me forever at no charge, but no more cash handouts, you want money?, bang a guy or get a job"

No need to spend 400k/year, unless  you want to.

But that 400k does give your a lot more options. IGCSEs and A-levels open doors to university education in countries that O-net and A-net don't. 

Likewise, the degree from a Western country is going to hold a lot more weight internationally than a Thai university. 

If you see your daughter remaining in Thailand then it doesn't matter really, but it's all about options at the end of the day. And that's what the money does, it buys you options.

So yes, you're right, there's no need to do anything. I don't need to eat out at a restaurant one in a while, but I do it because I'm paying extra for a premium product. Education is no different 

• Like 1

Just now, bermondburi said:

I don't need to eat out at a restaurant one in a while, but I do it because I'm paying extra for a premium product. Education is no different 

You may consider private education in Thailand a premium product, but i don't.

Would also point out my 9yo son in Thai government school doesn't do all that well. The teachers think he's a bit stupid, despite him being able to speak Thai and English while they can't. Education is becoming increasingly irrelevant in the world, where any fool can have a degree, if they have enough money to pay the course fees.

It's easy enough to do the calculations,

In Chiang Mai 9k/month in 7-11 after high school Vs 14k/month after university.

How much  extra for the 4 years university (minus the 9k/month), what age do  you break even?

I'll give you a hint, after university you'll be starting at least 500Kbht down, and only earning 5kbht/month more, so age 22 + 100 months to break even = 9 years working, you'd be 31 years old before you made up the university loss..

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

And that is fine, glad it doesn't cost you as much and that you can enjoy more of your cash.

I do hope the 15k expenses is per month, otherwise I worry about your daughter. Also, I would not encourage mine to "bang a guy" to make money...

But, to each their own I guess!

Per year.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Each to their own buddy. It's all relative. 

Obviously a lot of it depends on the school, and there are plenty of bad private schools in Thailand, just as there are plenty of bad government schools. But as a general rule you get what you pay for.

If you're happy with what you provided for your offspring that's all that matters ATEOTD.

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Per year.

Then that is very worrying, 1,250 baht per month for your daughter's expenses is just sad. And you say you have a 9 yo son as well. Not judging if that is what you can do within your means. If you actually can do more, then I find it upsetting.

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How much  extra for the 4 years university (minus the 9k/month), what age do  you break even?

I'll give you a hint, after university you'll be starting at least 500Kbht down, and only earning 5kbht/month more, so age 22 + 100 months to break even = 9 years working, you'd be 31 years old before you made up the university loss..

Major difference is the one with no education working at 7/11 will most likely be in the same situation 10 years later whereas the one with a degree will probably have evolved to a more comfortable salary by then. Your logic doesn't work out. My gf's niece started working after university at 17k per month, now 8 years later, she makes 37k per month before taxes. Her studies were costly, but it does pay off eventually.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, P Funk said:

But are you ready to “ kick in” for the child support and Buffalo care?!

In a word ......no.....but then I have had two vasectomies......so it will be kind of cheating if called to do my bit.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Haha 1

Polygamy.  More women than men?  Bag the gigs and mia nois and just allow Thai men to marry as many as they can afford.  I think it's considered chic nowadays isn't it?

8 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Rock on...

Screenshot_20210402_083328_com.android.chrome_edit_105478996154736.jpg

What do you call a person who graduates from the worst medical school in the world and at the bottom of their class?
Doctor! MD.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would also point out my 9yo son in Thai government school doesn't do all that well. The teachers think he's a bit stupid, despite him being able to speak Thai and English while they can't. Education is becoming increasingly irrelevant in the world, where any fool can have a degree, if they have enough money to pay the course fees.

Hey BritManToo.  Every time I look at your posts nowadays, my eye goes directly to your avatar.  What's up with that.  Humm.  I wonder if my wife will let me have one of those.  Considering the issue with declining populations and all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:10 PM, starky said:

Knowing the fidelity of some of the male population will probably end up a single mom's meeting.

That's why Thai men should be allowed to have two or more.  Bingo! Infidelity problem solved!